Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
How long have Apple not been suppling a cleaning cloth with new iPhones?
Or is mine just missing?

chscag

Contributor
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Not missing. It's been years since they supplied a cleaning cloth with any device they sell. I remember purchasing an iPhone 5C some years back and it did not come with a cleaning cloth.

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
So now what do they recommend for cleaning iPhone screens? I thought there could be an issue with using the wrong "stuff", as this might damage whatever coating is on these screens.
[automerge]1572761127[/automerge]
Sorry. Don't know why I asked that question. The answers are on Apple's web site.
I seems petty to me that they leave this out. But I guess it all adds up and can buy Mr Cook a new car every year! They also only supply a small wattage charger with their "cheaper" iPhones, where it seems most if not all of their Android competitors supply something much more substantial. So maybe Mr Cook gets a new car every month instead of every year!

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
Last time I received a cleaning cloth was with my iPod 5th gen.. A microfiber cloth cost close to nothing, not sure why it would make any difference in choosing a device from any manufacturer... Samsung doesn’t supply a cleaning cloth with their phones either. As far as a fast charger, charging a battery with high wattage decreases battery life.

Last edited:
Reactions: akash.nu

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
So now what do they recommend for cleaning iPhone screens? I thought there could be an issue with using the wrong "stuff", as this might damage whatever coating is on these screens.
[automerge]1572761127[/automerge]
Sorry. Don't know why I asked that question. The answers are on Apple's web site.
I seems petty to me that they leave this out. But I guess it all adds up and can buy Mr Cook a new car every year! They also only supply a small wattage charger with their "cheaper" iPhones, where it seems most if not all of their Android competitors supply something much more substantial. So maybe Mr Cook gets a new car every month instead of every year!
Wow, so much hate being projected just because you don’t get a cleaning cloth.

What other phones out there that come with one? Just curious.

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai

NONE!

I just go to any optics shop that sells sunglasses and they give me a few microfibre cloths for free. Seriously, some people just surprise me, they just like complaining about anything and everything!

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018

Hate??? What on earth are you talking about? It’s not hate. It’s just pettiness on behalf of one of the richest companies in the universe.

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2018
Man o man. A simple question about the cloth and its if the devil has arrived on earth.
I only asked the original question cos I thought I had lost the thing!
I sort of got used to Apple supplying “stuff” that their competitors couldn’t be bothered with. It was just a simple thing but it was there if you wanted it.

Reactions: Aydy

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015

Lol. There’s no “hate” a bit of whinging is what I read there. The sensitivity around here of late is borderline neurosis. Apparently the OP is worried that a regular cloth would somehow affect the oleophobic coating (it won’t op) and probably assumed the supplied cloth from days gone by was specifically treated to be kinder to the display or coating. I see no need to make dramatic statements about hate.
[automerge]1572794605[/automerge]
Hate??? What on earth are you talking about? It’s not hate. It’s just pettiness on behalf of one of the richest companies in the universe.

I was confused by the “hate” comment also. What a bizarre conclusion to arrive at from a simple question. Stranger that people here clicked like on it ?

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016
I’ve not seen cleaning clothes being supplied with any of my Apple products in the last decade.

welcome back to the normal world OP from under the rock.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
LOL someone should start a thread asking as to when did Apple stop including the SIM removal tool with new iPhones...
I believe Apple only did that on US carrier phones, since they already have their respective SIMs preinstalled. It might also be true in some other markets, but majority of iPhones worldwide that are SIM free have the SIM ejector still included in the box.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
How long have Apple not been suppling a cleaning cloth with new iPhones?
Or is mine just missing?
iPhone 5, Sprint - got September 21, 2012. No cleaning cloth.

iPhone 6+, Sprint - got February 2015. No cleaning cloth.

iPhone 6s+, T-Mobile - got October 2015. No cleaning cloth.

Never got one in any new iPhone purchase. Granted, I've only had three, but you are the absolute first person I've seen on these forums since coming here 8 years ago that has mentioned this.

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016
iPhone 5, Sprint - got September 21, 2012. No cleaning cloth.

iPhone 6+, Sprint - got February 2015. No cleaning cloth.

iPhone 6s+, T-Mobile - got October 2015. No cleaning cloth.

Never got one in any new iPhone purchase. Granted, I've only had three, but you are the absolute first person I've seen on these forums since coming here 8 years ago that has mentioned this.

Same. Since the 3G until now I’ve skipped only 3 models. The 5, the 7 and the X. I’ve not seen any cleaning clothes in any of the models I bought and I always bought directly from Apple.

Reactions: eyoungren

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013

The same pettiness that saw Tim increase the price of the Pencil by 30% but take away the replacement tip

Money can't buy class

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Since Tim
I’m all for Tim enjoying new cars, yachts, and planes on the backs of its consumers. After all you enabled these luxury purchases. /s

iPhone 4 under Steve didn’t come with a cleaning both. But seriously if you believe Apple under Tim is cheap and petty, thankfully there are other manufacturers for you to choose from.
[automerge]1572799138[/automerge]
The same pettiness that saw Tim increase the price of the Pencil by 30% but take away the replacement tip

Money can't buy class
True, but he has more class than many MR posters. So there’s that. But what does the above have to do with anything?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
i guess I didn’t get a cleaning cloth with my iPod 5th Gen. It was a micro suede sleeve to carry it in:
61F81B8F-907B-468F-BAC9-27C7F400ACF1.jpeg

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
I’ve never had a cleaning cloth come with any Apple product. I just use the ones that come with the screen protectors I buy for the phone. Maybe you could try that OP. If not, you can get cloths with sunglasses. They‘re really not hard to come by.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.