Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Funny how people are saying if its the same its going to be boring but a lot of people got the SE and its the same as the 5 and 5s but just different in the interior. maybe thats what Apple is going to do. Same body but better interior.
People did not have a choice for that screen size......what sold is the size not the shell in that case.

That just proves that the smaller size is still popular.

Reactions: arkitect

amegicfox

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2016
nyc
Jony Ive can't be a designer. He was only able to do something when Steve was telling him exactly what to do. Left alone he is clueless just like his CEO. That nasty camera bump is here to stay and that annoying slippery surface of the iPhone is back.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I really hope Apple surprises us all with an all new design.

I gave up on surprise designs from Apple when that really cool tapered phone design turned out to be bogus. The leaks and reporting of places like MacRumors have been too good... by the time it comes out, we knew 90% of it already. I think Tim Cook has given up on "doubling down" on secrecy... they CAN'T surprise us.

It's been my habit to upgrade with every release. So while I'm sure that I will buy this new phone... I'm also certain it could be the most underwhelming upgrade yet. iPhone 6SS anyone?

Where my disappointment lies, though, is in knowing that this is the 7 we're taking about... 7!! Meaning that if this is underwhelming, we know 7S will be incremental and mostly boring... so we have to wait until Fall 2018 to get something that (might be) really exciting and game-changing? The innovation cycle is dead on these things, I'm afraid.
[doublepost=1468305353][/doublepost]
As an investor, I'm truly afraid that the 6S+ is "peak iPhone".

Or damn near it. Wireless charging, waterproof, slighter higher-res cams... there isn't much to add. If it isn't 6S the 7 or 7S is most certainly peak.

Reactions: drumcat

moeafg

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2014
Birmingham
I gave up on surprise designs from Apple when that really cool tapered phone design turned out to be bogus. The leaks and reporting of places like MacRumors have been too good... by the time it comes out, we knew 90% of it already. I think Tim Cook has given up on "doubling down" on secrecy... they CAN'T surprise us.

It's been my habit to upgrade with every release. So while I'm sure that I will buy this new phone... I'm also certain it could be the most underwhelming upgrade yet. iPhone 6SS anyone?

Where my disappointment lies, though, is in knowing that this is the 7 we're taking about... 7!! Meaning that if this is underwhelming, we know 7S will be incremental and mostly boring... so we have to wait until Fall 2018 to get something that (might be) really exciting and game-changing? The innovation cycle is dead on these things, I'm afraid.

I agreed :(

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
No way, my favorite pasttime is ALSO making excuses and lowering expectations for the richest company the planet's ever seen!!!

We should do lunch. :D

You have to understand that products hit a technology limit. Unless there is a new "discovery", you won't see that revolutionary new design. Its not about money, its about science.

Reactions: Dave245

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015

[doublepost=1468305353][/doublepost]

Or damn near it. Wireless charging, waterproof, slighter higher-res cams... there isn't much to add. If it isn't 6S the 7 or 7S is most certainly peak.

I'd say the iPhone 6 is the "Peak". The 6s barely outsold the 6 in its debut quarter, and has been dropping precipitously ever since. So while the 6s may win the award for "peak" single quarter sales, in aggregate the 6s is not likely to sell as many as the 6, making it the "peak" for the iPhone.

This is especially true if the 7 offers little more than we've seen, not to mention removing the headphone jack, when none of Apple's competitors have removed their's yet.

And Apple may well have been prepared for this, anticipating a huge stock buyback plan leading up to the rumored 2017 phone once there's a little more parity with competing phones (who have dropped the headphone jack themselves). What Apple almost certainly wasnt prepared for was the sluggish sales of the 6s.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
You have to understand that products hit a technology limit. Unless there is a new "discovery", you won't see that revolutionary new design. Its not about money, its about science.

Personally I don't see what the problem is, I think half the people who are already complaining before the new iPhone is even announced, just want the show off factor. There is nothing wrong with the current design anyway, and most people do use cases. Just my opinion.
I think the new cameras are going to be great, and there will probably be another surprise feature that we didn't know about, there usually is. I can't see Apple just announcing the new dual camera as the only feature to the iPhone 7.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Well, I guess it depends on how serious we should take these rumors for next years iPhone. I mean we don't even know exactly what's coming this year. It's just way to early to make predictions for next year.

But speaking of glass...we had a full glass iPhone a few years ago with the iPhone 4(s). They moved to aluminum for good reasons, so it also seems incredibly stupid to move back to glass just to allow wireless charging.

Right, this is true. In my personal opinion, I think pretty much all the rumors are spot on, like most of them usually seem to be, unless they are leaking information for the following year's iPhone, which has happened before, just moreso for this year. The only somewhat questionable appearance here is whether the headphone jack will be missing or not, but I think that's 70% likely to happen based on everything we've been shown.

In regards to the switch from glass to metal, and back to glass - I agree, however I guess they don't really have any other material to go towards.
[doublepost=1468369413][/doublepost]
functionality is important of course but after all these years smartphones have reached its peak. nothing i cant do with my iPhone 6

Except open more than 6 tabs on safari without it refreshing ;)

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I really don't get all these silly comments on an obvious FAKE rendering...this is not a real pic of a real iPhone back, it's a rendering...just look at the shadow around the edge of the fake case, it's phony - airbrushed in.

phoJOEgraphy

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2016
Please get rid of the ugly protruding camera. I constantly put my phone down flat, and I don't want it wobbling all over the place.

There's a good reason why the camera is not flush with the body. The protruding of the camera lens doesn't allow the flash to reflect and glare off of the front lens element like they would if they were flush mounted. (See iPhone 4/5 - where any obstacle, like a case where the cutout was too close to the flash, would cause reflected light to glare across the lens, ruining photos.)

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
There's a good reason why the camera is not flush with the body. The protruding of the camera lens doesn't allow the flash to reflect and glare off of the front lens element like they would if they were flush mounted. (See iPhone 4/5 - where any obstacle, like a case where the cutout was too close to the flash, would cause reflected light to glare across the lens, ruining photos.)

They could, instead, recess the flash.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

rockarollr

Suspended
Apr 3, 2010
USA
Fake or not, iPhone 7 is an easy pass for me. I'll pick up a used one down the road once people start dumping them because they hate that there's no headphone port. There's just zero reason to purchase the new device given next year's will have a ton of new features. This one is more or less the 6SE.

You just may be more correct with that phone name than you ever imagined!

phoJOEgraphy

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2016
They could, instead, recess the flash.

Simply recessing the flash itself would focus the edges of the flash beam causing an obvious circular vignette when the flash is used unless you recess a decent amount of around around the flash - which people would complain about. I use a slim case, (just thicker than the lens bevel,) and it lays flat and doesn't interfere with the lens or flash use. Seems to be the best compromise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.