Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
UK
would have loved if this looked dramatically different from the 4s

from the front still looks similar to 4/4s .. not sure about the stretched screen

buying anyways... :eek:

LeeMac2012

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
Not seeing a lot of the black unibody design

Hope it still comes out with the black rim around it. If it's only silver then it will look very close to the 4(s). Which isn't a bad thing I guess, just looks better the other way personally.

BrockC

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Il
I think the strong amount of leaks is thanks to Apple being more prominent than ever and people care about their products more than ever...
:apple:

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Question:
Why is the headphone jack on the bottom of the phone? Shouldn't it be on the top just like 3GS, 4, 4S?

Last time we got into this discussion, people were saying that it was to make room for an NFC chip. There were even photos of a mystery chip that occupied the spot where the headphone jack used to be located.

The NFC chip theory has since been debunked widely by "sources familiar with the matter".

My guess is something had to budge to squeeze everything in and the headphone jack was the least crucial of them all. Moving it to the bottom was probably an easy compromise in the grand scheme of design.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
i really must say that bottom is down right ugly. and ive never said that before at a apple product and i buy them since 2007.
Bleh...oh well i buy it anyways.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

Putting it at the bottom makes it consistent with the iPod touch. I would argue it also makes more sense since the headphone jack can force you to orient your device in such a way that double clicking the home button to access music controls isn't easy. For example, the headphones are in while your phone is in your pocket. You have to pull the entire device out to change songs, whereas you could expose only the bottom quarter of the screen from your pocket if the jack was on the bottom.

It also makes it less awkward when you have the USB cable and headphone jack in and they're not on competing sides.

GeeEllBee

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Oh good and sweet. Any rumors on the weight of the new device? I know my old iPhone 4 feels and weights like a brick. Almost.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Why don't they make the aluminium go the whole thickness of the device, and the glass would slip inside a tiny bead?

That would look neater and a smoother one piece look that the glass slapped on the top, in an "external" looking manner

Pock

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2012
Beds/Cambs, UK
I love the look of the bottom of the phone. Sleek, simple, and the holes look like those on the Mac Pro or iMac. I also like the fact that the headphone jack is now at the bottom, although I know that is personal preference depending on how you put your phone in your pocket.

If only i could afford the upgrade...

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
- The screen seems to have deeper blacks that the 4s.

- It looks to me as if the structure is not steel, like it was in the 4/4s, but alluminium, which means we can hope for a lighter phone

yossi

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
is there ANY chance the phone revealed next week will be completely different from all these leaks? has that ever happened with an Apple product, or are there just too many leaks to not make this the real thing?

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
I love the look of the bottom of the phone. Sleek, simple, and the holes look like those on the Mac Pro or iMac. I also like the fact that the headphone jack is now at the bottom, although I know that is personal preference depending on how you put your phone in your pocket.

If only i could afford the upgrade...

Been practicing putting my iPhone 4 in my pocket just for the new phone. And, to be honest, I actually prefer putting it in upside down.

AppleNewsTech

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
This is all a fake, you will all see. Or, this is the next iPod touch. The second one is more unlikely.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
i really must say that bottom is down right ugly. and ive never said that before at a apple product and i buy them since 2007.
Bleh...oh well i buy it anyways.

It's the only part of these mockups and leaks that I hate. I'll probably buy it, but the bottom is ugly to me, too. Very much so.

techsmith

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
Putting it at the bottom makes it consistent with the iPod touch. I would argue it also makes more sense since the headphone jack can force you to orient your device in such a way that double clicking the home button to access music controls isn't easy. For example, the headphones are in while your phone is in your pocket. You have to pull the entire device out to change songs, whereas you could expose only the bottom quarter of the screen from your pocket if the jack was on the bottom.

It also makes it less awkward when you have the USB cable and headphone jack in and they're not on competing sides.

Another advantage is when you reach into your pocket to remove it (hand pointing down, phone upside-down in pocket with headphone jack facing up), and then move it to your face to use it (hand pointing up, phone right-side up), you do not have to reorient the phone.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
is there ANY chance the phone revealed next week will be completely different from all these leaks? has that ever happened with an Apple product, or are there just too many leaks to not make this the real thing?

I think there's no chance. Just look at the quality of the components. It's too high for them not to be genuine.
Maybe some parts could be "slightly" different.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
meh. Not impressed by the appearance. Maybe the internals will wow me away from my iP4. 10 mega pixels, 1Gb RAM, etc. etc. :cool:

I like continual refinement (iP4 to iP4S) and the pursuit of strength (unibody, recessed glass) but appearance is not enough to jump on this thing as an upgrade. What I do want is an actual deal on an iP4S. People charge way to much for their used phones IMO.

What carrier are you on? I'm looking to sell my (AT&T)4S it's in perfect condition. willing to go under "market price"

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
This is all a fake, you will all see. Or, this is the next iPod touch. The second one is more unlikely.

In some ways, I hope you are right, but after all the leaks, it's pretty hard to believe. Don't get me wrong, I love the design (aside from the bottom of the phone) but I'd still like to see Apple pull something else out of their hat. Just for the surprise factor.

6 days, 8 hours, 40 mins from this point before we see for sure!

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Because it makes more sense on the bottom. If you slip the phone into your pocket, you have to do it upside down with the existing iPhone. Now, you can pull the phone out of your pocket without turning it around.

Yeah now that I think of it I like having the headphone jack on the bottom then on the top. I'm sold!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.