cMBP Haswell? or discontinued

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Asifasim22, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Asifasim22, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

Asifasim22 macrumors newbie

i know this has been debated previously on a few threads and they each had good insight on the matter, some even had polls, but i wanted to bring to life one last time because i'm still unsure of how i feel about the cMBP getting updated or discontinued.

I think if it is updated it has to be redesigned. my reasons are
    -optical drive is outdated in apple products
    - it still has ethernet, firewire, kensington lock slot
    -it has magsafe , not mag safe 2.

i think the Gap in price and performance between Air and rMBP makes for the reason that the CMBP would stick around.

let the debate begin.

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I'm betting it will be discontinued. As it should be.

3. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

From what the public knows of Apple, it seems like they have limited resources, despite all the cash, and redesigning the cMBP would not be high on their list. And your list reads like reasons to discontinue it :(

4. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I'm fairly certain cMBP's will be discounted, not updated. I mean, it was updated to the rMBP...that's why it is going away. Doesn't really make any sense for Apple to spend the time to update the processors on the Classic model again, as it isn't just as simple as dropping new processors in and calling it a day.

All those things you listed are things Apple intentionally killed when designing the rMBP and they are not coming back. Apple will likely sell remaining cMBP at a discount (and great deal) to the legacy users that still want those features.

5. scbond macrumors 6502

There's already a refresh to the MBP which Apple clearly intends to push on with into the future...the Retina MBP, which makes me sad.

6. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I vote kill the cmbp. We don't need it. We also don't need wagons, leaches for doctors, and to keep women locked into the kitchen.

Time for it to die.

7. R3fr3sh macrumors member

thats just an odd comment

any who, the Retina Macbook pro supersedes the mid 2012 macbook pro. Its quite obvious

8. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Who's we? Are you the king or something? Lots of people WANT the ability to upgrade their own machines. Just be wise you like buying a new machine every 2-3 years doesn't mean the rest of us should be forced onto your schedule.

9. Vanilla35, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Apple has made the decision to set everything in stone now, because it's probably going to be even harder to give you an option later on. They didn't have to solder the ram imo, but it could be there wasn't enough space for a while rig to hold additional ram. Regarding the SSD, you can still open it up and change it. And regarding the battery, it is definitely glued in there, but the pack comes in 8 pieces or so, so they probably didn't want people messing with it. It's their choice to let you upgrade things if you want, and it is also their right to take it away. Because you're going to continue to buy their products anyway, or if you care enough, you'll look elsewhere. So consider yourself lucky they gave you the option to begin with

10. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Who's this we?

You might not need it, but I do.

11. codenamecueball macrumors regular

matte screens are a sign of the past aye?

pretty ridiculous to compare a laptop line to misogyny, but whatever floats your boat

12. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Buy a PC then, you can stick chips on boards all you want there.

----------

Lots of 'pro's' want the ability to upgrade because that's the way they have always done it. Time to move on from that. Computers are consumer devices, not a hobby anymore. Apple needs to focus on the 95% of the market that wants to hit a power button and have it work, not the 5% that want to tinker.

13. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

They are setting everything in stone due to their lust to get everything as thin and small as humanly possible. Why desire to get the iMac as thin as a sheet of paper? It's ridiculous. What is does mean, however, is that I will be buying less frequently from Apple. I will keep my user upgradable MBP that much longer, and look for alternatives for making the purchases I do make, last as long as possible. Planned obsolescence for the sake of a couple millimeters is going to rub LOTS of people the wrong way. Removing the option from customers, for something that costs this much, will have an impact. I can't wait for the run of "How do I upgrade my 8Gigs of RAM in my MBP?" threads. I've seen some already, but can't tell if they are trolls at this point.
    So I should bow my head every time the word Apple is uttered as well?

14. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Please, don't act like you think Apple should be similar to every other manufacturer. It's not a mystery that Apple does what they want, and sometimes gives you features you desire, and sometimes takes them away. Of course they could be like everyone else, and still be providing you with a VGA output on your laptop computer, but they choose not to. If you need all those options (including the newly taken away optical drive, which I can say myself I have never used since buying my own laptop, 4.8 years ago), than look at other products. Apple will continue to take out features that they consider to be no longer beneficial to the majority of customers. But by all means, in 2013, you will not be without a feature that you cannot buy as an accessory, and connect through the various modern ports of USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt.

There is no doubt they took out the optical drive in order to make the computer thinner, and thus magsafe 2 came in as consequence to that. However, they are heading in certain directions for a reason. If you don't bother to see the big picture of what is to come 10 years down the road, then don't even bother to complain about the simple design changes they make, or features they take out.

15. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Whatever you say, internet police. :rolleyes:

Taking out the optical drive to make the MBP thinner is to be expected. Taking away ethernet, and making the memory and SSD(mostly) non-user serviceable is taking it too far in the desire for 1mm thickness.

But I WILL express my displeasure, since that is the only it gets known.

16. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

So basically... it should be a retina without a retina screen?

17. Asifasim22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it can't be a retina without a retina screen :D but my question on this thread is will they update it to their standards , or get rid of it. I don't imagine them keeping it around with any of those features i mentioned prior if they do decide to keep it

18. scbond macrumors 6502

More people need the cMBP than the retina models.

19. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Speak for yourself. The cMBP is superior to the rMBP if Apple gives the cMBP a retina display by removing the superdrive. This way we can still have user replaceable components.

If you want a 15" Quad Core MBA, especially with Apple dropping the dGPU with the next refresh most likely, then that is what you want. But it's not something that everybody wants.

I want to upgrade my c(r)MBP in 2 years with a 2TB SSD PCI-e which should be afforable by then, because 1 TB SSD's are cheap already and also upgrade my RAM possibly.

20. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Then build a hackintosh. Most consumers don't give a flip about doing any of those things to their computer.

21. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

22. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Most consumers don't give a flip about doing any of those things to their computer. :p It's the whole Mac vs. iStuff problem... I simply want a computer, not a trip-advising lifestyle-management bike-path-locating app that shares my interest in such things.

23. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Their aren't enough people like you to make a market worth selling to.

24. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If you watch they keynotes where Apple introduced the retina models, they very specifically just called them the "Next Generation Macbook Pro".

The retina MBPs are the new Macbook Pro going forward. They just happen to still be selling the old one too for now.

I don't see them putting any significant engineering or design work into the old MBP at this point.

25. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

You are just guessing...