Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I remember reading about hypothermia symptoms, and when I read that they found a pair of pants I thought "game over". :(

I hope I'm wrong.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
It's sad. He made three potentially fatal decisions, the first being to sleep through the first night's rain in a secluded spot, only to be snowed in the next day. Taking a route that people warned was hazardous. And last Saturday's decision to hike through the mountains in a cap, t-shirt and jacket.

The pants were not his, and he has been missing for three days now, so it's not looking good.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
It's sad. He made three potentially fatal decisions, the first being to sleep through the first night's rain in a secluded spot, only to be snowed in the next day. Taking a route that people warned was hazardous. And last Saturday's decision to hike through the mountains in a cap, t-shirt and jacket.

The pants were not his, and he has been missing for three days now, so it's not looking good.
No, I'm afraid this guy is gone. But then we thought that about his family, too, so let's hope for one more miracle. :eek:

The news showed his car taking a route off a main road. I wonder why he didn't just walk back towards that main road? That's so simple. The only obvious explanations are that he got turned around somehow and got hopelessly lost, or that the "turnoff" road was so long that (dressed as he was) he died of hypothermia before he even reached the main road. Who knows, he may be buried under the snow somewhere right where they've been looking. :(

jiggie2g

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
Brooklyn,NY
Not to sound mean , but with all those gadgets this guy reviewed over at Cnet. You would think he would have all types of gizmo's to help him out. Like a GPS , Cell phone, hand-crank Flash light , Why this guy doesn't have a Parka/Snorkel is beyond me. I have a North Face McMurdo Parka that keeps me very warm on 20 degree days. really anything to help him.

We really need another type of Mcguyver show to remind people how to survive in these types of situations.

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=NA&model=AC8X

My money says this guy is dead , I really can't see him surviving more than 2 days alone with out a coat.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
If they had expected there was a chance to be stuck in snow, they would have brought warmer clothes to be prepared, and more gadgets to find their way and call for help. But, of course, if they had expected to be stuck in snow, they wouldn't have taken that road at all. And if they had known that none of the roads in that area would get them through to Gold Beach, they wouldn't have taken the trip at all.

But if's are just hindsight. It's sad in any case.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
From news.com.com

Just In:

The dead body of missing CNET editor James Kim has been located, authorities announced Wednesday.

Arrangements are being made to transport Kim to an undisclosed location, according to a police statement. Kim has been missing in the remote southwestern Oregon wilderness for 11 days. The family has asked not to be contacted.

James Kim
"They have been true champions throughout this whole ordeal," Josephine County Undersheriff Brian Anderson said of the family at a press conference. "We just want them to know our prayers have been with them from day one."

After being rescued in good condition Monday, Kim's 30-year-old wife, Kati, and daughters Penelope (4 years) and Sabine (7 months) have been reunited with family members. Kati Kim suffered frostbite on two toes, but will not lose those toes, according to a close family friend. James Kim, 35, left the family car Saturday morning to search for help.

James Kim, Kati, Penelope and Sabine left their home in San Francisco two weeks ago on a Thanksgiving road trip to the Pacific Northwest. They had been last seen on the Saturday after the holiday in Portland and later at a Denny's restaurant in Roseburg, according to a San Francisco Police Department missing persons report.

The family was expected to return to San Francisco on November 27. When both James and Kati failed to show up for appointments on November 28, co-workers began to worry for their safety. The Kims are known for keeping in touch daily with their friends and co-workers, either by phone or e-mail.

Throughout the Kims' ordeal, messages of support and concern have continued to pour in by the hundreds to CNET, as well as to a Web site set up by family and friends.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
If they had expected there was a chance to be stuck in snow, they would have brought warmer clothes to be prepared, and more gadgets to find their way and call for help. But, of course, if they had expected to be stuck in snow, they wouldn't have taken that road at all. And if they had known that none of the roads in that area would get them through to Gold Beach, they wouldn't have taken the trip at all.

But if's are just hindsight. It's sad in any case.

This takes the whole "honey, why don't you ask for directions?" dialogue to new heights. Why go into unfamiliar territory when you're uncertain?

It cost him dearly. That's so sad for his family.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada

he's been found not alive. This is so sad. he was apparently leaving clues to find his trail and everything. sad anytime of year, but right before Christmas too. ugh.

:(

i'm an outdoorsman and unless you are prepared to travel in the woods, and even if you are, if you are lost, you need to say put. i certainly don't blame this fellow as he was trying to save his family. build a massive, massive fire and stay put.

so sad :(

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
This is truly sad and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family. I have been following this a lot and I hate to see that he didn't make it. RIP James Kim. You will be missed by many people.

Retired
May 16, 2006
James Kim dies...

All I want to say is that I am very upset with this and he will be much missed by me, and certainly others too.

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
Very sad, but we can't blame him as we don't know how the situation was, ect.

Must have been hard for him, I'm sure he was mad at himself for whatever route he took, and becoming frustrated as the days went on.

Prayers are with the family :(

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Sad indeed... Always loved reading his reviews. he seemed like one of the few people at CNET that weren't completely full of it.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I had Sooooo much hope for him seeing the good condition his wife and kids were in. I was expecting to see a news headline of him being found in good condition today.
My heart has just fallen into the pit of my stomach and I can't believe this has happened. I watched him every chance i got on CNetTv because he was so genuine and its so hard to believe he died in such a heroic and sad way.

I'm speechless and so is the entire tech community tonight. I expect a huge onslaught of condolences and tributes from TWiT, Revision3, and most media outlets.

Truly a sad time especially in the Holiday season.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Obviously a sad turn of events. There was such a sense of optimism earlier today as they continued to find articles he had left behind to mark his trail. To go so quickly from that to finding his body was a real shocker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.