CNN Blames Apple for Apple News Bug That Caused Repeat Notifications

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 30, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier this afternoon, a bug with the Apple News app caused notifications for a single CNN news story to be sent out to iPhone and iPad users over and over again.

The issue, which lasted for approximately 15 minutes, appears to have impacted all Apple News subscribers who had alerts turned on for CNN based on a slew of complaints that popped up on reddit, Twitter, and the MacRumors forums.

[​IMG]

It wasn't clear if the problem was with CNN or the Apple News app, but on Twitter, CNN claims it was the latter. According to the news organization, CNN only sent a single notification, and the company is working with Apple to identify the problem.

Customers who were affected by the repeated notifications received somewhere around a hundred notifications, and the notifications in question were interrupting normal device operation. It appears that the issue centered around a single CNN news story, but we've also seen reports that some notifications from Fox News also repeated.

The only fix for the issue at the time was to turn off Apple News notifications, but the problem was resolved by Apple quickly and customers who did turn off their notifications due to the CNN alert bug can now safely re-enable them.

Article Link: CNN Blames Apple for Apple News Bug That Caused Repeat Notifications

2. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

And yet, countless other users of Apple News haven't had any issues. So somehow this is a bug that only impacts CNN but is Apple's fault?

Not seeing multiple notifications on any of my sites that also push to Apple News.

3. Jonathan7877 macrumors newbie

I have it happening with Fox News alert as well repeatitively.

4. archvile macrumors 6502

archvile

I've been getting them for other subscribed channels, so it's not just CNN. They started earlier this afternoon, then stopped, then started up again about 15 minutes ago. So it seems like something on Apple's servers. I finally just turned off notifications for News entirely.

Edit - to add, it was the same news notification both earlier and then recently, it wasn't different stories.

5. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

6. Sharkoneau macrumors 6502a

Sharkoneau

That was an awful spell. I had to turn News notifications off entirely to calm my phone down.

7. ebernet macrumors newbie

I thought someone was trolling given the content of the CNN notification I kept on getting about false notifications lol

8. now i see it macrumors 68020

I wasn't aware that anyone used the Apple News app any more.

9. UL2RA Suspended

I don't use it, but I have the notifications for the app turned on ... and I got bombarded with a trillion notifications today for the same thing. Just turned off the notifications for the app.

10. Lone Deranger macrumors 68000

Lone Deranger

With Apple's current track record of software quality (read: lack thereof), it's likely a safe bet.

11. springsup macrumors 65816

springsup

The worker who triggered CNN's false repeated news alerts has been fired. An FCC report say...

12. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

It happened to me. Same notification coming up repeatedly. I just turned off notifications for Apple news. That did it.

13. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Oh, I thought they were still looking for MH370...

14. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

This one requires more investigation on both sides.

15. rustbat macrumors newbie

I had the same thing happen with CNN. Asked a friend if he was having issues with the CNN app (didn’t realize it was the news app until I couldn’t find the CNN app. Only problem was the alerts were going off on my watch! It was so frustrating! It eventually stopped, only for Fox News to start up! I was like F this! I powered off my phone and forgot to turn it back on. Realized an hour later. Luckily I was at work and didn’t need my phone for anything super important.

16. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I had notifications for news off and my wife had them on - neither of us got the notifications - nor did any of my family. I guess none of us have turned on CNN notifications. lol.

17. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

18. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

19. ke-iron macrumors 65816

The Apple news app is great. You should give it a shot.

20. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Cnn want to make sure that specific news goes through

21. pika2000 macrumors 68040

I guess this is a way for CNN to get some people to notice them.

22. PhoenixDown macrumors regular

23. gijoeinla macrumors 6502a

Now if it was from Fox News that would be banana pants

24. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

Must be an iOS 11 bug. Hadn't had any problem with FoxNews app on iOS 10. Have notifications off for CNN.

25. BaccaBossMC macrumors regular

BaccaBossMC

Ironic

Attached Files: