Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Yes the application is ad supported but they are NOT intrusive at all.
Maybe "intrusive" wasn't the right word. Prominent, conspicuous, pronounced - those are probably better.

White ads in an app that has an entirely jet-black interface? Yeah. There's a word for that.

UGLY.
CNN2.PNG

I understand that some companies/devs need to use ads to help pay the bills, but what I don't get is why we have to PAY to see them. It just doesn't make sense to me at all. Not to mention the possible privacy issues:

CNN1.PNG

I guess I just expected more from CNN, especially with this being a premium (i.e, not FREE) app ... :mad:

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Wow People will really complain about anything the ads are hardly noticible and the ads are up for like 1 secdond maybe to really need stop whining geez.

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
So, to those who downloaded, is the app any good? Would you recommend it?

Are the ads tolerable or just too annoying?

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
dont belve the reviews on the ads i really cant see why people are crying over them there like up for a second or 2 hardly noticiable. overall the app is great as you can see my pics above Video is amazing on Wifi dont have a iPhone to check out how it is over edge/3G etc. As of now this is my main news app on my iPod

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
So, to those who downloaded, is the app any good? Would you recommend it?

Are the ads tolerable or just too annoying?

It's not too noticeable. They have a list of news stories that you scroll through but one of them is an ad. Sometimes the splash screen displays an ad when loading as well. It's not nearly as annoying as the NYT app where it consistently cuts off a portion of the screen.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Perhaps this app will be more useful than the AP Mobile joke of an app. It seems well-made from what I've used thus far. If only Foxnews would make a native app now!

On an unrelated note, it says I can connect it to Facebook and all, but I don't know how. Settings has on/off switch but nowhere to enter my account.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Friend bought it. It looks very nice except for the AD's which did extremely annoy me and my friend who got it. He had one page where 2 of them were taking up 1/4th the screen. For a paying app?

I still won't buy it though as most other news apps do just fine for me such as NYT, AP, etc...

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
Wierd, I thought I purchased (i did click on it) the paid version, yet I see ads still in the news.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Anyone know if this will be coming to the UK? I'd love a BBC News App, but I doubt it'll ever come..

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
I for one am disappointed in the app. There is no way from what I can see in the app for me to customize what types/categories of news alerts to get pushed to me. I guess they just push whatever they want to and I have to accept that. However, what really irks me is the limited number of headlines that I am able to access via the app. Far less than what's available on their site and even in their mobile site. basically, unless you check the news probably every several hours, anything previous will just disappear.

very disappointed indeed.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
'CNN Mobile' Appears in App Store

151612-cnn_news_browsing.jpg

CNN today announced that it has launched a new iPhone application, CNN Mobile [App Store, $1.99], bringing print and video news coverage, as well as integration with the news network's iReport feature that allows users to record and submit their own eyewitness accounts of news stories.
Maximizing the revolutionary features of iPhone OS 3.1, the new CNN App showcases news of the day through text, video and photos. It also features live breaking news video, push notification, localization and personalization tools, user-generated content capture and upload functionality through iReport, and more.

"The CNN App has what we think is one of the best user experiences around, and will quickly become an essential daily news source for many iPhone and iPod touch users,"said Louis Gump, vice president of CNN Mobile. "We tailored the best of CNN specifically for them, whether they check in from the beach, the airport or the ballpark."
The video streaming feature of CNN Mobile offers pre-recorded clips, but also allows CNN to send news alerts and provide live coverage when breaking news strikes. Personalization allows users to customize their application to deliver local news, weather, and traffic alongside world and national news, and the application also allows users to save text articles for offline viewing.

Integration with iReport allows users to not only browse user-generated content, but also to submit photos and video directly to the service. And finally, users are able to easily share stories with others via e-mail, SMS, Twitter and Facebook integration.

151612-cnn_weather.jpg
151612-cnn_ireport.jpg

Article Link: 'CNN Mobile' Appears in App Store

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.