Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
i know all starbucks charge for wifi. i hate starbucks.

i go to a local coffee shop called dunn bros and they have free wifi. funny thing is...it's directly across the street from a starbucks. you can see the starbucks out thru the front window.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Here in Vancouver there are tons of hotspots
some free, some pay for...ie have to buy a cup of coffee and they will give you the password...
the downtown core is pretty much wireless, mostly free , though acouple of the hotspot are accidental since the network guys were too stupid to set uo a password... The two major universities are wireless but have to be student or staff to login.
as to the ratio of mac to pcs , hmmm most of my class mates have switched to mac after I let them use my mac for a few minutes...they really like the widgets... local coffee shops, on weekdays more mac (80%) than pc's on weekend about 50/50...

Wombert

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Ugg said:
Some are and some aren't. Starbucks uses T-Mobile and charges for access. I think in general the big chains charge while independents are more likely to provide it free.

A friend was telling me that there are a number of free wi-fi places in Munich. There aren't any where you are?

Well, there are many, many public hotspots around here, but most of them aren't free. Hotspot directories will list between 20 and 50 (max) free hotspots; I guess there are more free ones which are just not listed. Anyways, not a good ratio for a city of 1.3M, especially given that we're supposed to be the #1 technology place in Germany...

ILoveiBooks

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2005
mrzeve said:
First of all, its so easy to tell who owns a mac and who doesn't. The guy with the over the shoulder bag, long hair to the side, jeans, casual shirt and a sports blazer (holy crap I basically described my self) is the dude with the Mac.

LOL! You also just completely described me! Although I just cut all my long hair off yesterday, now it's really short. *Scary thought* Also, I don't often get to go to coffee shops with my iBook, I live in the middle of nowhere and well, I can't even get high speed let alone a wifi'd coffeeshop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.