College Decisions: Where are you going?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maddan, Apr 9, 2010.

1. maddan macrumors regular

Most colleges have already sent out their verdicts to applicants: accepted, rejected, or "waitlisted".

Based on the verdict(s) you received, what college will you be (or are) attending for the 2010-2011 academic year?

As for me, I will be attending The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania for my undergraduate studies.

2. RudyGrow macrumors regular

Thats awesome! Going into business?

I plan on getting a Law degree at McGill, then going into an MBA program somewhere in the US.

3. maddan thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, that's a great school! Go Canada! :p

Yes, business it is for me. I definitely want to major in Finance but can't make up my mind whether to also major in either Real Estate or Marketing.

4. Dany M macrumors 6502

5. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I would talk to people at the school about what you'd get out of their real estate program before you devote credit hours to it. If you see doing real estate for a living, it's something to consider. If you're thinking of it because you'd like to eventually have rental properties, and such, leave that to an expert and spend your time on something else.

Marketing/Management have other uses, and accounting is just plain huge. I got my Finance degree, but my background is in Information Technology.

I'm going to spend this year getting myself in a position to go after a Masters in Global Energy Management at the University of Colorado @ Denver. It sounds like a fascinating program, and is right up my alley. I need to take some engineering pre-reqs, as well as get my GMAT taken care of.

And make a lot of friends. Not many people get a shot at Wharton, you'll be rubbing elbows with some folks who could be very important in the future. At my school, that wasn't really likely. Ask Dukebound where he actually went. He'll agree. :D

6. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I went there for a few years. Not a bad school. It has a really nice campus too. However, I didn't like getting out of school mid June and all the liberal arts classes required for business majors.

7. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Not going anywhere. Hated school with passion from 1st grade until last day of college. Thought about Master's but the feeling of hatred for school overtakes me every time. So far it's been winning. :)

8. maddan thread starter macrumors regular

I am actually thinking about doing investment-type real estate, where I manage clients' properties and assets, and advise them on investing in or selling property. It's not real estate in the usual sense of the word, as this type usually involves clients with a few hundred million in their bank accounts and that look to invest in not just residential but also commercial properties. I would of course be working with an investment firm.

9. ethical macrumors 68000

From Wiki: "According to Forbes, 90% of billionaires with MBAs obtained their master's degree from one of three schools: Harvard, Columbia Business School, or Wharton."

God damn! Definitely make some good friends OP :p

10. maddan thread starter macrumors regular

:D I'll try!

11. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

im going to Lipscomb University. its a small private christian college here in nashville. im majoring in nursing

12. Dany M macrumors 6502

What did you major in? I noticed it is a 3 quarter schedule, does it affect anything but exams. Have you seen the new science buildings when you were their? They are really great.

13. ethical macrumors 68000

Or perhaps we should be the ones making friends with you??

14. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Yea, the new science building opened up my 2nd year there, its really nice. However, I was a finance major and was in the loop most of the time.

As for the quarter system, it goes like this.

1st Quarter: Sept 6ish - Thanksgiving
    Winter Break - Thanksgiving - New years (really long break)
    2nd Quarter: New Years - Spring Break
    3rd Quarter: Spring Break - June 13th ish

It goes by really fast considering each quarter is only 10 weeks. Before you know it, it will be time for midterms. Seriously, like 3 weeks into the course, you will start talking about them. Then, finals are just around the corner after that.

However, have you thought about Loyola University? It's a much better med school.

15. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

Just took my ACT today, hoping to apply to BYU Utah in the fall! :)

16. Rolvag macrumors regular

Rolvag

As a Certified Financial Planner that does just what you wish to do, I have a simple question. Do have have any type of license?

17. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

in the fall i'll be a freshman at Stonehill College majoring in political science, a small school in MA. plan to go to law school afterward.

18. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

what are some jobs associated with that? I took a political science class at my local community college and it was pretty interesting.

19. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

for political science alone i'm not too sure, but paralegal and legal assistant come to mind. personally, i'm aiming for a career as a contract lawyer, hence goal of getting a J.D.

i had an American Government elective my first semester and i found it rather boring and more of a history class than anything else, but this semester i have a Legal Studies class and it is by far the most interesting class i've had in high school, too bad it's only a semester. in that class we go over more specific types of law (ex: housing law).

20. maddan thread starter macrumors regular

No, I am straight out of high school.

21. Foreign Feeling macrumors member

right now I live in North Carolina but I plan on applying to Tulane University in New Orleans and LSU Baton Rouge. I used to live in New Orleans when I was a child and I actually came back to visit the two colleges a couple of days ago while I was on Spring Break. I love Louisiana and I hope I can return there for my college experience.

22. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Considering the type of stuff you've said you'll want to do, you'll have an easy time getting work. Keeping it is another story.

I get an inbox full of interview requests every week for places that want financial sales people.

So, when you can intern, intern somewhere that does CFP work. You're going to need those licenses as Rolvag mentioned. You can't really get those on your own, you have to be sponsored, and your employer will get you there. So if you can intern somewhere that does it, you're that much closer to getting access to that.

You've got several years before you're in a position to worry about some of this though. Enjoy every minute, and definitely take classes outside of the normal requirements. You'll meet awesome people in other fields. Consider the number of finance folks in NYC that came out of Physics and other types of backgrounds. New ways of looking at issues, and access to non finance people who down the road may be clients. It will be good practice. :)

23. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I've heard nothing but good things about Tulane. And the folks I know who went to LSU all loved it.

What are you going to study?

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I will be going to Colorado State University to pursue my Masters (for now) in Atmospheric Science

25. MicBook macrumors regular

Belmont University
    Nashville,TN
    I'm getting a degree in entrepreneurship so I can take over the family business