Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dany M

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Earth
Yea, the new science building opened up my 2nd year there, its really nice. However, I was a finance major and was in the loop most of the time.

As for the quarter system, it goes like this.

1st Quarter: Sept 6ish - Thanksgiving
Winter Break - Thanksgiving - New years (really long break)
2nd Quarter: New Years - Spring Break
3rd Quarter: Spring Break - June 13th ish

It goes by really fast considering each quarter is only 10 weeks. Before you know it, it will be time for midterms. Seriously, like 3 weeks into the course, you will start talking about them. Then, finals are just around the corner after that.

However, have you thought about Loyola University? It's a much better med school.

I was considering it, but I did not have enough from financial aide to help me go through.

maddan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Considering the type of stuff you've said you'll want to do, you'll have an easy time getting work. Keeping it is another story.

I get an inbox full of interview requests every week for places that want financial sales people.

So, when you can intern, intern somewhere that does CFP work. You're going to need those licenses as Rolvag mentioned. You can't really get those on your own, you have to be sponsored, and your employer will get you there. So if you can intern somewhere that does it, you're that much closer to getting access to that.

You've got several years before you're in a position to worry about some of this though. Enjoy every minute, and definitely take classes outside of the normal requirements. You'll meet awesome people in other fields. Consider the number of finance folks in NYC that came out of Physics and other types of backgrounds. New ways of looking at issues, and access to non finance people who down the road may be clients. It will be good practice. :)

I definitely will... Penn is great at letting its students explore different areas of study, so I'll be looking into different applications; expanding my horizons, in a way. I am also looking into working at an international level, with clients from all over the world. At the rate I am going, I will be able to efficiently speak, read, and write 5 languages by the time I graduate from college... perfect for working with international clients at a more personal level.

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
I definitely will... Penn is great at letting its students explore different areas of study, so I'll be looking into different applications; expanding my horizons, in a way. I am also looking into working at an international level, with clients from all over the world. At the rate I am going, I will be able to efficiently speak, read, and write 5 languages by the time I graduate from college... perfect for working with international clients at a more personal level.

That's huge. If you don't have your passport yet, get it. The dean of the college of business where I went had inroads to a lot of investment firms in Chicago and NYC. But he also had contacts in Germany, Switzerland, etc. There are some internships that only get offered by the dean. They're not advertised. So, I would absolutely track down the head of the finance dept, join the finance club, and eventually try to get to know the dean.

I didn't do finance club, but it was because it met during a time that I had a class at night. But they brought in bankers and investors from the region to talk. They had bond traders for Wells Fargo (think 9 figures under their control). They were trying to get somebody from the Fed to come in, etc.

I did join the investment team. We had a couple hundred grand that had been donated to the college of business for investing with the express purpose of turning it into a scholarship generator. This was real money. A team of students proposing buys/sells, portfolio makeup, etc. It was really interesting.

Something else to consider, Wharton is so big in the business world, there will be big name people coming to campus to speak. Find out how to know when it's happening, and try to attend each one. Some of these guys are pompous bastards, but there's almost always a nugget of information to take away from it.

It's not like you have to do this in your freshman year, but definitely keep your eyes and ears open. Listen well and take notes.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
That's huge. If you don't have your passport yet, get it. The dean of the college of business where I went had inroads to a lot of investment firms in Chicago and NYC. But he also had contacts in Germany, Switzerland, etc. There are some internships that only get offered by the dean. They're not advertised. So, I would absolutely track down the head of the finance dept, join the finance club, and eventually try to get to know the dean.

I didn't do finance club, but it was because it met during a time that I had a class at night. But they brought in bankers and investors from the region to talk. They had bond traders for Wells Fargo (think 9 figures under their control). They were trying to get somebody from the Fed to come in, etc.

I did join the investment team. We had a couple hundred grand that had been donated to the college of business for investing with the express purpose of turning it into a scholarship generator. This was real money. A team of students proposing buys/sells, portfolio makeup, etc. It was really interesting.

Something else to consider, Wharton is so big in the business world, there will be big name people coming to campus to speak. Find out how to know when it's happening, and try to attend each one. Some of these guys are pompous bastards, but there's almost always a nugget of information to take away from it.

It's not like you have to do this in your freshman year, but definitely keep your eyes and ears open. Listen well and take notes.

Such a genuinely helpful post. I'm not the OP, but thanks - really good to see a careers related post with no other agenda than being a nice, helpful person :)

maddan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
First thing on my agenda: hunt down the head of the finance department :D.

All joking aside, it's great advice, Decrepit. I actually did not think of the club(s) as a good way to look for opportunities. Like you said, the big names that will come to speak at Wharton will be most valuable; I am only so blessed to have been given this wonderful experience for my undergraduate studies. I need to get to those international connections!!! :p That will be my goal.

Renese-Williams

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
I'm going to Utah Valley University. It's an open enrollment program, but none of the other -better- schools have my program. D: I would have much rather gone to Westminster or University of Utah. :(:(

Sequin

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
I'm at NC State University for biochemistry, but I was in chemical engineering for my first two years.

Foreign Feeling

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2010
I've heard nothing but good things about Tulane. And the folks I know who went to LSU all loved it.

What are you going to study?

I really want to study Psychology or Philosophy and I hope that I can pursue med school after that. But who knows. Maybe something will catch my eye.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Accepted to the University of California--San Diego for a Masters of Public and International Affairs.

Wait listed at Columbia University for a Masters of International Affairs.

Currently thinking I won't go to grad school at all.

allathlete5

macrumors newbie
i am going to attend Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, CT.

I am a football recruit and received basically a full scholarship... I also was accepted to Cornell University, Dartmouth University, and San Diego State University. But I couldn't get into the Computer Engineering Programs at those schools due to 4 C's on my transcript =((

I was only accepted into the Ivy's because of football hehe :D
but it's cool to have those acceptance letters :D

snakesqzns

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2007
I *highly* recommend going to a community college for the first year or so. For one, it's usually cheaper, which is especially important when you're still figuring things out. More importantly you'll find many of the professors have full-time jobs in the fields they teach. I got my first real industry job when my professor hired me for his company.

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
right now I live in North Carolina but I plan on applying to Tulane University in New Orleans and LSU Baton Rouge. I used to live in New Orleans when I was a child and I actually came back to visit the two colleges a couple of days ago while I was on Spring Break. I love Louisiana and I hope I can return there for my college experience.

I currently attend Tulane. It is a really good school. All the classes are taught by professors, not graduate students. they are a very caring school, and are there for the student

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I really want to study Psychology or Philosophy and I hope that I can pursue med school after that. But who knows. Maybe something will catch my eye.

Both of those departments are really good here. If you do come, try to take Dr. Hebert for you Intro to Psychology, he's great.

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
I *highly* recommend going to a community college for the first year or so. For one, it's usually cheaper, which is especially important when you're still figuring things out. More importantly you'll find many of the professors have full-time jobs in the fields they teach. I got my first real industry job when my professor hired me for his company.

That's what I did. Knocked out my Associates online so that I could transfer in and start at the university and only take the real classes. I had a Calc class at the university that had several hundred students, and you sat so far back that you watched the professor on televisions. At the community college, 20-30 students.

Great advice.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I am actually thinking about doing investment-type real estate, where I manage clients' properties and assets, and advise them on investing in or selling property. It's not real estate in the usual sense of the word, as this type usually involves clients with a few hundred million in their bank accounts and that look to invest in not just residential but also commercial properties. I would of course be working with an investment firm.

Canada>looking for real estate agents>buying foreclosed US properties. :) ... like risk, but possibly high rewards? (Google the heck out of this and do some very serious research).

I know a guy who does this and the window of time is very, very narrow. You may want to jump on this now while the going is good. Maybe do it as a PT job while in school. Also congrats on school.

I also know one who was on the downside of this (a good friend), an American, in a city known for foreclosure. It's those failures which present excellent foreign investment right now.

From what my real estate friend tells me, and also one American law school mate I had hundreds of miles away, is that late 2009-early 2011 will be a great time for investing in much U.S. real estate.

But it may only be just so-so for the long term with many other fields outpacing real estate. The days of the 1946 baby boom/land rush may be gone just as the gold rush in California is a memory lodged in history.

When the prices suddenly go up due to supply and demand, the window will shut but real estate can still be good for very long term investments, but nobody knows for sure.

This sounds like a cliche, but you may not see this type of opportunity again in your lifetime. This type of dip, followed by a buying frenzy, happens about once a century (if you are lucky).

A first stop on the net could be Keller Williams, Canada.

I hope this helps.

JsR

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Newcastle
I'm just finishing my Degree this week actually - exams next week then as of the 4th of May I am finished...until I start my Master's in January in Business & Financial Management. Just going to be day trading from now till January.

walkoflife

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
I am going to Stevens-Henager College. Am already in a career but feel to get an MBA. Contemplating Stevens-Henager's online MBA program. This I believe is the best suit for me. What do you guys have to say?

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
I am going to Stevens-Henager College. Am already in a career but feel to get an MBA. Contemplating Stevens-Henager's online MBA program. This I believe is the best suit for me. What do you guys have to say?

What is your goal?

If you just want to knock out an MBA to get an MBA, this might be the way to do it.

But if you have specific aspirations of what you'd like to use the MBA for, you might think of a bigger school.

I have a bunch of buddies who went to a local place to get their MBA or Masters in CIS type of stuff. The only people who take their degree seriously are the other people who went to that school. Everybody else knows that they are guaranteed to ace every class as long as their check clears.

Where'd you get your undergrad?

maddan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Since the end of this school year is right around the corner... I thought I'd bump this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.