College students I have some questions.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Mar 23, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

How many hours do you attend school in a week? And how many hours do you work a day and throughout a week?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No longer a student but when I was I worked 40 + hours a week and went to class on average 20 hours a week.

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Depends on the course and college. Most people you will find work 30-40+ hours, regardless of how many lectures they have.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Currently taking 9 Hours, but last semester took 10 hours and worked 20 hours per week. BioChemistry major.

----

20 hours a week? How?

Each class is 3 hours a week, usually 1 1/2 hour per day.

Most people can only take 15 hours at most (University limit), some 18. 18/3 would be 6 classes...

You took 7 college courses in one semester?!

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

20 credit hrs is a bit far fetched i agree. seems maybe 20 hrs a week for all college matters (hw and stuff + class) is more realistic

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Quarter system, 5 classes per week, one per day, scheduled to be 4 hours a day. A petition to do this and just because you couldn't doesn't mean I couldn't. ;) I can show you transcripts but clearly you're the expert. :rolleyes:
    Grad school was another story.

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I said most people can take that. Obviously there are exceptions. I didn't call you a liar. I asked you, how?

But then again who would jessica. be without her fun-loving replies and heart-warming posts. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (I raise you one rolling-eye.)

8. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

12-16 credits (translates to 15 class hours per week this semester (12 credits currently))

Work anywhere from 20-40 hours per week.

Study about 20 hours per week.

Not too bad, I have to admit.

I'm a Health Promotion/Education Major. And prepping for Medical School.

SLC

9. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Currently going to take 20 units.

23+ hours in class per week

Work +13 hours per week part-time, +20 during spring break, winter, summer breaks

Commute 83 miles everyday from Inglewood to UC Irvine.

Stress:eek:

10. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Class: 17 hours per week.
    Work: 0 hours per week. But I am looking for a job.

11. pcb macrumors member

pcb

Im at Miami University in OHIO.

We are on semesters and I am currently taking 17 credit hours.

I work around 4.5 hrs a week at a on campus job.

In order to graduate in 4yrs a student must average 16hrs a semester.

12. macbook yes macrumors 6502

I am taking 14 units, but because 2 of my classes are labs this translates to 22 hours of class. In addition I work 20 hours a week on campus, and get about 5-6 hours of sleep a night.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No need to be that harsh... what he pointed out was well founded... that said. I do believe you can have 7 courses in a semester/quarter. Many people in English or any other Liberal Arts major usually do. Never seen it done in Engineering though....

just think of the Math:eek:

That aside.... 15 credits currently and work 20 hrs/weekly... not much $ in, but it helps pay off the bills.

14. adk macrumors 68000

adk

During my last semester I had 18 hours of class per week, 9 hours of labs, 35 hours of work, and about 4 hours of sleep.

15. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I think a typical term for me (engineering) was 5 or 6 classes, 3 hours per class of lectures (sometimes it was an hour a day for three days of the week; the worst ones were the 3-hour blocks... what a LONG class!) So that could be 18 hours of lectures. Then, many of the classes also had a lab component which was an additional 1-3 hours per class. Some days I was fairly solidly booked with classes and labs from 8:30am to 5:30pm, with an hour or two break in the middle.

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It all depended on how many days I had and how many classes I didn't want to go to.

Chemistry classes were 6 hours (3 lecture/tutorial and 3 lab) with generally three classes a semester so that's 18 hours. Then there was usually another elective class of about 3 to 4 hours (a 2 hour lecture and either a 2 or 1 hour tute). So that's about 22 hours a week.

Add work to that (about 15 to 20 hours of night work etc) and that's a regular 40 hour week.

It was tough but you get through it.

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

About 10 hours a week of class. Trimester system: three 10 week terms with 3 classes at a time, meeting either M+W+F or T+Th. More time if you have labs, but I'm a political science major and only took one lab science. :eek:

I don't have a job at school, and as far as schoolwork goes I don't keep track outside of class, it varies greatly week to week. Often I'll have lots of work due in the distant future, aggressively put it off until the deadline and then do several weeks of work in a couple of days.

Senior spring coming up, just wrapped up my 114 page thesis, time to chill out a little :D

[​IMG]

18. katanne macrumors newbie

i am going to school everyday except saturdays and sundays. and since im a graduating student, i really allow or i am going to school and im staying there for 8hours..=)

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My biggest work/class load was 20 hours working and 18 credit hours. Must not have been too bad since that was a semester when I got a 4.0.

However, I worked on campus, so most of my hours worked were between classes, and I never worked past 8 PM. It's not like I had any late night shifts or anything, so that made it easier.

20. bern1812 macrumors member

Im at Miami too!

Im taking 15 hours this semester. I will probably need to take 18 next semester or the following one to catch up, as I am a class behind due to changing majors.
    Dont have a job at the moment.
    Fill the rest of my time working on the numerous programming projects I have every week.

21. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I had several courses that met for longer than the stated credit hours. Most [of my] science labs, for example, counted as 1 credit hour but met for 3 hours each week. So 20 hours a week sitting in classrooms isn't unrealistic assuming a full course load.

22. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Okay. I can fold to that one. My lab last semester did count as 1 hour but lasted 3 hours every Friday morning at 8am. Not sure what I was thinking when I scheduled that one. :p

23. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I took it pretty easy in the last two years. I kept the partying down for one. I would say 20 hours a week work, 25 hours a week for school (which includes class, commute, library research, homework). It basically came out to what amounted to a 40 hour a week job, but more interesting since part was work and part was school.

In semester units, that's 12 for fall, 12 for spring, 6 for summer, and repeat and rinse for a grand total of four years for about 120 undergraduate units and a degree. Realistically, most college students I know took two classes for the summer, every summer, and maybe an intensive holiday season intensive class or two during college instead of going 15 and 15 and sitting out three months only for work in the summers. One can tend to get rusty that way, imho.

In the first two years, you can work a lot or a little and it won't make a huge difference in your life, in that much of the first two years will be like a rehash of high school, just a bit harder. Some can handle a big schedule of work with school and others just prefer to do school.

It's final two years of college which count most whether you go to work or to graduate school. For work, if it's related to your bachelor's degree, your major will be heavily weighted in your junior and senior years of college.

If you attend graduate school, what most admissions people will be most concerned with when it comes to grades is how you did in your last two years and not just overall GPA. The applicant who got As and Bs in the first two years but finished with Bs and Cs in the second two years won't look as good as the applicant who had the same GPA, but finished stronger than they started.

And then there is the person who is a college student, and while there, they find more than just work but a career which takes them to big places to the point where school is secondary (sports heroes, rock stars, many high tech millionaires, actors, many big time journalists and commentators, and others). So keep an open mind and go to school with the goal of finishing college but don't pass on a great work opportunity if that comes up.

What units you have finished will still be there, but in the majority of cases, most of us are normal and should just finish college, once we start it, and find a normal job. If you are extraordinary, like Kobe Bryant, some A-list actor, or a genius of some sort, you are likely to hit some great opportunity. Those people who somehow become unusually successful young are ones you may see once or twice among your high school or college classmates and they are one in a thousand.

Don't work more than you need to so you can brag you finished college and worked more hours than anybody else. Beyond your first year after your degree, nobody will care that you finished college and worked so much you were a machine who never slept much in four years. That's about as smart as saying you finished college and drank more beers and smoked more pot than anybody you know. Life's too short to abuse yourself when you are in your relatively carefree years of your life.

Graduate school, or marriage, or career, or having kids, or worrying about home repairs, and the really hard work of life which isn't just a four year commitment, which can tend to suck the youth out of a person, will come soon enough to many people.

I say, work as little as possible and try and enjoy your college years as those and your years before that will most likely be your fondest
    . It's a cliche but one that almost everyone I met tend to share after one finishes their 20s, 30s, 40s, and beyond. Life gets harder with each year, physically, after age 30, but what you get in return is experience and wisdom. Some days I am happy to have gone through secondary school and college, but other days I wish I was still there.

24. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Well, when I had a real job (not tutoring), I took 16-17 units a semester and worked 20-25 hours per week. I did have one semester where I did 19 credit hours and worked about 25 hours a week. Last semester I did 19 hours and tutored 8 hours a week and right now I'm doing 17 credits and tutoring 8 hours a week. Generally, the number of credits corresponds roughly to the amount of time spent in the classroom for me.

You can't just look at hours in class and hours at work though. I spend plenty of time studying as well. Taking 17 upper division credits and working 25 hours a week doesn't make it easy to get A's.

That depends largely on the school. At the small private liberal arts college that I go to I have not met one person working near 40 hours a week and very few that work near 30.

25. benheine macrumors newbie

Marketing major
    Currently taking 12 credit hours and work 30-35 hours a week at my job. Probably spend about 10-15 hours a week on top of class doing school stuff.