College!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pellets007, Nov 19, 2011.

1. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Good day everyone!

This academic semester is almost done and I've been applying to more and more undergraduate colleges and universities. I've sent in applications to practically every private school in KY that's free to apply to. So far, I've received admissions from all of them. Totaled up all of my scholarships and I've received approximately $714,000 to put toward my education.

Well, earlier this month, I received an offer of admission from the United States Military Academy at West Point. Certainly trumps any school in Kentucky! :D

So pumped for this summer. :)

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

3. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Congratulations, pellets!!!
    It sounds like hard work and planning paid off. And now you are in the enviable position of having options!

Please tell us more about how you got where you are and where you plan to go. I'm interested.

4. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

So presumably you're going the military route? Go to West Point- that'd be badass.

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Congrats, glad you've a place that you want. I've just got my uni applications off for next year, now to play the waiting game...

6. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Wow, congratulations! You must feel a big relief, I'm still in the process of applying. :)

7. pellets007, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Honestly, I didn't find it all that difficult. I have never done homework in high school, period. Although it has only gotten more challenging this year with AP Calc and AP Lit. I got a 29 on my ACT the first time around (and my lazy self, no studying of course ;)). Planned on taking it again but I was accepted to West Point before then. I've done a lot of community service and extracurricular activities.

JROTC was a big one - it's probably the only reason I stayed in school. Right now I lead about thirty people as a company commander. Did varsity soccer and was captain twice. Still do taekwondo outside of school (currently a blue belt, three more to go!).

I'm the sort of quiet rebellious student. That'll probably change next year. ;)

Definitely going to West Point. I will also be applying to the United States Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point as well.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Congrats on your achievements.

Am I the only one who finds that amount of money for one student obscene?

9. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Only about half of it will ever be used. The rest of it includes the presidential awards and such given to me by the private schools.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so besides telling us about all your accomplishments and where you been accepted to, what feedback do you want from us?

11. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I am guessing we should congratulate him and wish him all the best for his future ;)

So congrats all the best and have fun!

12. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

"Free to apply to"

Wait, what? There are universities that charge money just for an application?

Feeling really lucky I went to University in Scotland now, where the government pays for tuition for every student who is from Scotland.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Most universities charge to apply. Usually around 50 bucks

14. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Yeah, I have to pay for every application. ($70 for each school + the cost of sending my test scores) :(
    I don't know why the OP applied to every free-to-apply schools though.

15. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I didn't know where else to go if my admission to USMA was denied. Without an ROTC scholarship, there would be no way I could pay for school. I applied to a bunch of schools to weigh all of my options. I figure it was best to apply early and decide where to go rather than apply to late and just settle for something.

Didn't cost anything, so I figured why not. :)

16. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

They used to pay for English students too. I applied to Edinburgh when I was looking at University and it would have been free of tuition fees. I ended up going to Manchester (by choice) and had to pay for the privilege (still, much less than $714,000!).

To the OP - congratulations! Hope you have a blast!

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And it's not an IED. :eek:

18. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

First of all, congratulations!! :)

Since I'm not from the United States, can you please enlighten me on to what extent the extracurricular activities during high-school will help you get scholarships or admission to college?

19. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

There is not way they are giving you almost a million dollars in scholarships.

20. iJohnHenry, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2011

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He was obviously adding all the offers together.

Well, obvious to some.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Jealous much?

22. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I got offered over $400,000 and only applied to two schools (and only $50,000 came from those two schools.) If you're smart and have good test scores, they'll find you.

I'm a white male with no extracuricilars or community service and a mediocre (3.8) GPA in a high school class of 26- it can be done.

23. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

JROTC (and being an officer within the Corps) shows schools you're disciplined and capable of leading others. Being a team captain of a sport or going to all-state also looks good. Clubs are good, especially if you're an officer or leader. Many students are also a part of the beta-club or National Honor Society. Colleges like to see that you're involved; you can't go wrong! :)

As someone already said, I totaled all of the money received from a myriad of different schools. :)

24. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Understandable I though you meant you would receive a total of over 700,000 during your education.

25. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Yes, many schools in the US charge just for the pleasure of being considered for admissions. I'd guess the money is used to pay for the time it takes a person or persons to process the application. Or at least thats what they might say.

In NZ its free to apply to university. When I applied here, I thought I read something about an application fee at at least one of the unis, but I was never asked to pay anything by 3 I applied to.