Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ColorWare, a company that custom paints Apple products, today announced that it is now accepting orders for Apple's AirPods, which can be purchased from the site in range of different colors.

For $289, a $130 premium over the $159 price of the AirPods, ColorWare will paint them in one of 58 different shades, from solids to metallics in every color of the rainbow. A deep glossy black is also an option, giving customers who have been wanting a "Jet Black" set of AirPods a way to get it.

airpodscolorware-800x310.jpg

Each AirPod can be painted in a different shade, and for an extra $30, ColorWare will also paint the AirPod Charging Case. Along with a custom color, users can also choose a matte or gloss finish, for a set of AirPods that are totally unique.

airpodscolorpicker-800x382.jpg

To paint various products, ColorWare fully disassembles them and carefully custom paints each individual component. On its Twitter account, ColorWare says developing a process for the AirPods was "FAR from easy."

It was FAR from easy, but we made it happen! AirPods now come in your choice of 58 colors: https://t.co/9ukve4qGKe #WeDidIt pic.twitter.com/suvrPPoazy - ColorWare (@ColorWare) February 22, 2017

The total price for a fully customized set of AirPods plus case is $319, which is about double the price of a plain white set of AirPods purchased from Apple. In addition to shelling out quite a bit of money for a custom set, those who order AirPods from ColorWare will also need to wait for approximately six weeks for their order to arrive. ColorWare often lets customers send in their own devices to be painted, but this isn't currently an option with the AirPods.

airpodsblue-800x400.jpg

Because $319 is a lot of money to shell out for an accessory, ColorWare does offer paint samples so users can test colors out before placing an order. Each set of three paint samples costs $15.

All ColorWare work is guaranteed for 12 months, and 24 months with the purchase of an additional warranty. Returns are available for the first 30 days but are subject to a 25 percent restocking fee.

ColorWare paints a range of devices, from iMacs and MacBooks to Apple accessories like the Magic Keyboard and the Magic Mouse 2. The company also paints other accessories, like game consoles and headphones (including Beats), plus it offers a range of skins for products like the MacBook and iPhone.

Article Link: ColorWare is Now Selling Apple's AirPods in 58 Colors if You're Willing to Pay $289

mateytate

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2014
Those jet black ones look good and should make them far less noticeable when you are wearing them. That is great for me as I think the functionality of them is amazing, but still think they just look terribly ugly.

HMFIC03

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2011
Tokyo
Very cool - wonder if they cerekote them? Would be nice to have each one a different shade or color to quickly differentiate. Good luck with the venture, they found a open blue ocean market.

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
Not something I'd buy personally but the jet black does look nice. I can imagine they'd sell very well if Apple offer them - in fact I'm surprised that they don't already - would match the iPhone 7 wonderfully.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
lol They are on something, the price is insanely high. Rather get some skins for less than 15.00.. heck I can spray paint mine for cheaper if need be.

I wouldn't take the risk of an amateur spray painting these, even Colorware commented on the difficulty of the process. But if your willing to attempt it, please share photo's. I would love to see how they turned out for you.

Vaschamp

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
Why didn't apple think of this ? I mean didn't they introduce the industry to the rainbow of colorful music players with the iPods. They just seem to not get the simple things.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Why didn't apple think of this ? I mean didn't they introduce the industry to the rainbow of colorful music players with the iPods. They just seem to not get the simple things.

The supply has been awful since launch. Colors would have made things worse. And apple is all about the minimalist white.

Unless of course you're interested in a gaudy gold MacBook?!

Reactions: chrisbru

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
300 bucks... for a colour? The sad thing is, there are some people dumb enough to pay that.

Yup and probably a bunch of them are on this forum.

Just because someone finds value in something that you do not doesn't mean they're dumb, does it?

When you can buy a back up pair (for work, car, gym bag or wherever or if your first pair break or gift for someone or use the money on something useful) for an extra $29 instead of getting a painted pair kinda seems dumb to me. +$30-$50 then I maybe get the business model. $130 really?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.