ColorWare Releases Custom-Painted AirPods With Classic Macintosh Design for $399

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 6, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

ColorWare this week released custom-painted AirPods with a classic Macintosh design, including a beige finish with faux vents and a six-color rainbow pairing button reminiscent of Apple's logo between 1977 and 1998.

[​IMG]

The limited edition AirPods Retro, as they are called, are inspired by the Apple IIe, which actually predates the original Macintosh by a year, but the computers shared a similar design with an iconic Pantone 453 finish.

ColorWare purchases the AirPods directly from Apple, applies the custom paint job to both the AirPods and their charging case, and then repackages them in Apple's original box with a Lightning to USB cable and documentation.

The company doesn't currently offer after-the-fact customization of used AirPods, so if you already own a pair, you're out of luck.

While the AirPods Retro have a unique design, they come at a steep cost of $399, more than double Apple's standard $159 price. Also be prepared to wait a bit, as shipping is estimated to take 3-4 weeks depending on the destination.

Keep in mind that Apple is expected to release second-generation AirPods with "Hey Siri" support at its usual September event, alongside new iPhones and its AirPower charging mat, so it may be best to hold off on these.

ColorWare also sells AirPods in limited edition Space Gray for $349 and dozens of other colors for $299. Prices are based on U.S. dollars.

Article Link: ColorWare Releases Custom-Painted AirPods With Classic Macintosh Design for $399

2. KooL BeAnZ macrumors regular

A bit steep considering next gen AirPods should be here in September.

3. caliguy macrumors 6502

caliguy

That means they'll be even more retro! ;)

4. MDF314159265 macrumors regular

MDF314159265

Love the look, but with how many times I’ve dropped my AirPod case, I can’t imagine that pretty finish lasting too long.

5. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

It’s more than a bit steep whether new AirPods are on the way or not.
    It’s more than double a pair of AirPods.
    Once Apple’s name is attached, for third party vendors, the sky’s the limit.
    They are out of their freakin minds.

6. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

I love the "limited edition Space Gray". They make up that term to try and justify charging more. They will make as many as they get orders for. Not too many people will be ordering them. That is why they will be made in limited numbers. :cool:

7. coachgq macrumors member

All of their work is pretty awesome looking, but I can’t bring myself to actually pay for any of it.

8. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Right. I put my AirPod case in my pocket the other day not thinking it was the same pocket my keys were in and now there are a ton of scratches all over the case :(

9. redneckitengineer macrumors regular

redneckitengineer

I have a case that holds my AirPods from catalyst. It covers the whole thing so this wouldn’t be seen. But nonetheless, it’s beautiful. I’d wait until the next generation AirPods with wireless charging however.

10. Unami macrumors 6502a

or you could just buy a pack of clear adhesive printer paper, and make that yourself in 10-15 minutes.

11. jdclifford macrumors 6502

12. surf2snow1 macrumors regular

It’s $159 for the AirPods. $240 for the paint job.

13. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

14. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I pity the fool who pays that much for crappy headphones they don’t even stay in your ears. **** battery life too.

15. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

16. M5RahuL macrumors 68030

M5RahuL

17. mdriftmeyer macrumors 68030

mdriftmeyer

Pay more for a paint job than the product? You deserve to be hosed.

18. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Nice, they’ll fit well with my Ferrari. You know, in the other dimension where I made much better choices.

20. Cloudkicker macrumors 6502

Cloudkicker

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Nice :)

22. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

23. MrGuder macrumors 68020

For that price can they guarantee that Tim will pop out when I open the case?

24. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Actually, the next version the AirPods is rumored to be released in 2019. I don’t believe we will see version 2 of the AirPods in September. Especially given the possibility of three new iPhones, Apple Watch Series 4, possible new iPads and a MacBook update, I doubt we will see the AirPods being launched this year with very few rumors or leaks either.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/25/gurman-higher-end-airpods/amp/

25. H.E. Pennypacker macrumors regular

H.E. Pennypacker

I spend that in aftershave every week but still a hard sell to pay that kind of a premium for paint.