Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
Ok, I don't care what Air Pods already cost. I want them dammit.
[doublepost=1531004022][/doublepost]
The price is also pretty retro. It reminds me of the good old days of $3000 Quadras. And that's the price before adding the monitor.

Solomani, you have the best avatar out of ANY MacRumors member. Sheer awesomeness.

sentiblue

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Silicon Valley
It takes apple a whole hightech assembly line to build the Air Pods...

It takes an experienced artist (doesn't have to be a famous artist) a few hours to do the paint job... and it gets to cost more than the air pods.

Lots of people (like these guys trying to paint the airpods) are taking advantage of curious customers and apple fans to rob them blind. The allow themselves to be robbed knowingly just because they want cool stuffs that come with the apple logo.

Businesses like this will not last long.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
Too steep but makes more sense to me than the "Space Grey" models which just looks like a simple spray coat.

There's long been a market for this. I remember working for a Mac reseller back in 1998 and we had a client who would pay a premium for custom painted iMacs. Many afternoons spend stripping down them down and spay painting all the Bondi blue bits a flat black.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
I purchased one last year as a gift to myself.
Just one? Cheapskate!
[doublepost=1531163796][/doublepost]
It takes an experienced artist (doesn't have to be a famous artist) a few hours to do the paint job... and it gets to cost more than the air pods.
Experienced artist? Maybe for the design. Once the pattern has been established, they can be knocked out repeatedly in a few minutes by any competent line worker.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
It takes apple a whole hightech assembly line to build the Air Pods...

Lots of people (like these guys trying to paint the airpods) are taking advantage of curious customers and apple fans to rob them blind. The allow themselves to be robbed knowingly just because they want cool stuffs that come with the apple logo.

Businesses like this will not last long.

Did you tell that to Mercedes-Benz, Harley-Davidson, Starbucks and Nike? They also sell overpriced products with a "brand premium".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.