Compare VZW vs AT&T iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RheelDeal, Feb 7, 2011.

1. RheelDeal macrumors newbie

If you have received your VZW iPhone today, can you compare the download and upload speeds on the VZW iPhone?

2. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

Ummm it's slow AT&T is fast sorry I am on the iPhone on AT&T now as I type this on it.

3. sidefx macrumors regular

the phone shouldnt make a difference...

my dads android incredible on verizon got around 750 kbs download

my iPhone 3GS on at&t got 1680 kbs download

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This is easy.
    VZW phone: Black with a glass front and back running iOS 4
    ATT phone: Black with a glass front and back running iOS 4.

ATT can do voice and data at the same time and its data is faster then VZW. VZW promised to downgrade media, and slow down the top 5% bandwidth hogs.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Upload/Download speeds are highly dependent on service area.

All things being, AT&T will be faster by 2x or more, but in **my** area, Verizon and AT&T are very, very closely matched for speed (excellent VZW service, very suboptimal AT&T service).

AT&T is great if you can get good service. For me, doesn't matter how fast AT&T says they are if I can't get a good signal.

6. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Please let's not sart a carrier war. Just pick the carrier that's better in your area. Do yu think people in the UK make fun of each other for what carrier their iPhone is on?

It's not that big of a deal.Let's just all be happy that there is competition now, and maybe we'll get a cheaer bill or something.

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Easy. The iPhone is made by Apple.

Regardless of the carrier. Which of course would be on a different message forum as this is about iPhones, not the carriers.

8. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

ok so if you have both phones in a decent signal area what phone would have the fast data connection ?
    This is my only fear that i may switch to Verizon and the date will be slow as u know what....
    But is it as slow as edge on att ?

Thanks

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

10. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

speedtest app

vz-287 ping .63 down .22 up
    att 447 ping .66 down .05 up

thats about all i have done....had them maybe 10 min....:D

11. Centient macrumors 6502

Yikes. Should we send a rescue team to get you out of the mine shaft? ;)

12. brando123b macrumors regular

*SIRENS* Fanboy Alert *SIRENS* :rolleyes:

13. err404 macrumors 68020

I wouldn't go that far. The statement by VZ to downgrade the bandwidth is troublesome enough to nullify any advantage given by "unlimited" data plans. Also AT&T's network has some legitimate advantages (speed and simultaneous voice/data). Consequently If you're in a area with roughly equivalent service, AT&T easily takes the win.
    But that's the kicker. VZ does have better services in many areas. VZ also tends to degrade more gracefully in low signal areas instead of dropping calls. My advice is to pick the best carrier in your area first, but in areas where both provide good service, pick AT&T.

14. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Obviously this isn't scientific, but that ping difference, if consistent across both networks, could make the phone feel faster even if Verizon has slower actual data speeds.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm actually on verizon, so your retort falls flat. Its quite simple, vzw does have a slower network, CDMA cannot handle voice + Data at the same time, and they've already stated that they're going to down-sample media and punish the top 5% bandwidth hogs.

Of course anyone who dares to criticize verizon at this point is painted a fanboy so be it, but what I stated is true.

16. thetexan macrumors 6502a

AT&T will take the advantage if you download files with large attachments or tether your device.

When it comes to webpages, Facebook feeds, Google maps, and other similar things AT&T and Verizon will probably be just as fast. Verizon might have a speed advantage since latency is supposedly lower on CDMA than it is on GSM.

For what 99% of people use their iPhones for, there won't be that big of a difference between the two carriers when it comes to data speeds.

17. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

I dont know, same server location, my house is less than 10 miles from BWI airport, so im not out in the sticks. my att 3g speed has always been just ok, its never really blown me away with how fast it was....

i will mess with it more when i get home....who knows, it might be a fluke.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I think he clearly is on Verizon. Also, everything he said has been Verizon stated. Now, as per your post....

>mon visage cuand

Attached Files:

19. Remmnever macrumors member

It just depends where you live. At&t service is not very good here so vzw would be better. But I'm sure other places its opposite. I don't know why people are fanboys for their carriers. Whatever works best for me is what I choose.

20. shadrap macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

These are steady speeds and they are everywhere.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:DD:D:D:D

21. EvilC5, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011

EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

just ran it again...

VZ ping 179 down 2.0 up .63
    att ping 470 down 1.18 up .03

im pretty happy thusfar.....and my call didnt drop in the same spot that my att phone drops every time without fail.

Attached Files:

• att.jpg
      att.jpg
      File size:
      35.5 KB
      Views:
    • vz.jpg
      vz.jpg
      File size:
      56 KB
      Views:
  22. Mario Loco macrumors member

Here is what I get in PHX, AZ

Pay no attention to wifi. Wife is on skypw with freinds and 16 year old is netflix and probably using pandora at the same time on iphone.

23. iFitz macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Posting this from my VZW iphone and not have any data speed problems at all. The difference, if any, is negligible. It depends on your area though and AT&T sucks in my area (los Angeles)

24. bige12 macrumors 6502

bige12

This is what my speed is on my AT&T iphone 4 I'm near Reston, VA

[​IMG]

25. shadrap macrumors 6502

Also, some of the AT&T people were talking about how Verizon is so slow that you can't stream video. Think again, i just watched about an hour of Lord of the Rings on Netflix and the quality was just as good as my AT&T iPhone.