Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A growing number of iPhone and iPad users have complained about poor RAM management on iOS 13 and iPadOS 13, leading to apps like Safari, YouTube, and Overcast reloading more frequently upon being reopened. We've lightly edited some of the comments to correct things like capitalization.

ios-13-ipados-13-800x488.jpg

MacRumors forum member Rogifan:
I was watching a video in YouTube on my iPhone 11 Pro. I pause the video to respond to a text message. I was in iMessage for less than one minute. When I returned to YouTube it reloaded the app and I lost the video I was watching. I noticed this a lot on my iPad Pro too. Apps and Safari tabs reloading a lot more frequently than they did in iOS 12. Very annoying.
MacRumors forum member Radon87000, using an iPad Pro on iPadOS 13.2:
I was working on a spreadsheet in Excel and I switched to a YouTube video for like 10 mins or so and when I switched back, the app was no longer in memory. Not just that, it also flushed all Safari tabs out of memory too. None of the games are staying in memory after 20 mins.
MacRumors forum member HappyDude20:
iOS 12 was perfect and miss it for the main reason that any time I use the app switcher to go back to my previous app such as Safari or Instagram or Facebook or anything really, the app refreshes. Back in iOS 12 I could go back [to] multiple app(s) and it wouldn't refresh. It was perfect. I'm running on an iPhone 7 Plus if it makes any difference but feel it shouldn't.
Based on anecdotal comments from affected users, the issue appears to have become worse as of iOS 13.2 and iPadOS 13.2. Artist, designer, and developer Nick Heer wrote this on his blog yesterday:
I'm used to the camera purging all open apps from memory on my iPhone X, but iOS 13.2 goes above and beyond in killing background tasks. Earlier today, I was switching between a thread in Messages and a recipe in Safari and each app entirely refreshed every time I foregrounded it. This happens all the time throughout the system in iOS 13: Safari can't keep even a single tab open in the background, every app boots from scratch, and using iOS feels like it has regressed to the pre-multitasking days.
On his blog, developer Michael Tsai has rounded up similar complaints on Twitter.

Marco Arment:
I've noticed this since the first 13.2 betas, and Overcast users keep reporting it as well: background apps seem to be getting killed MUCH more aggressively than before.

(Especially on the iPhone 11 if you use the camera, presumably because it needs so much RAM for processing.)
Christopher Stephens:
Every single app on my iPhone 7 iOS 13.2 gets killed every time I close. No backgrounding. And each tab on Safari when I move to a new one. So frustrating
Cabel Sasser:
This really affected Prompt. Extremely annoying to lose SSH connections when switch apps.

In yesterday's update we rolled out a semi-cheesy but effective fix: "Connection Keeper" keeps a running GPS-based log of where you connect to servers. Side effect: connections stay alive.
More complaints are found in this Twitter thread, in this Reddit thread, in the Apple Support Communities, and elsewhere on the web.

Affected users are hoping this issue can be resolved in a future software update. We've reached out to Apple for comment.

Article Link: Complaints Mounting About iOS 13.2 Being 'More Aggressive at Killing Background Apps and Tasks'

Last edited:

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
definitely having the issue on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. went from typing an email to a phone call and back in a matter of 30 seconds and my email that I was typing was gone. Hope this gets fixed!

Wow seriously? Damn I’m lucky this hasn’t happened to me. I’ve been using an 11 Pro Max and iPad Pro 2018 both running the latest iOS versions. Haven’t had anything happen yet, but we’ll see.

EDIT:!!! Lmao it JUST happened! I opened an email from Mail from 1 of my saved folders and switched to Calendar to input some dates. I switch back to Mail and it totally refreshed! Wow.

Subrock

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2013
Pioneer has an app for recording music out of their mixers via a lightning cable. I tried to record a gig on Saturday and could only get about a minute of audio with the screen locked before it would kill the app. Previously, I could record for 4+hours without issue. This definitely feels like an accidental regression and not a feature

andsoitgoes

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I’ve had this issue and have been reporting it since the first bloody beta. Lots of people on the iosbeta sub are also experiencing this same issue.

I CANNOT believe apple released 13.2 with that garbage memory management in play, it’s not like they weren’t aware! Sheesh Apple.

twolf2919

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
I just noticed this in the Amazon app yesterday! Several times, I would do some search/filtering in the app and look at some list - only to have that search/filter reset when I got back into the app after leaving it for a minute. I thought it's a new Amazon bug - but it's probably that the app was killed and restarted!

This is on an iPhone X running 13.2.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
I've noticed Apple's 'video app' (whatever it's called this week) losing track of the TV show/movie/whatever after I've left and come back for the past few weeks. I thought it was doing it in iOS12, but now I think it is this new "feature".

Trader05

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
I am still holding off on 13.2 on my 11 Pro until this is fixed. Hopefully they patch it soon. #deepfusion

Reactions: rjp1

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
It's definitely an issue. Kills basically everything minutes after you open it. Safari tabs, YouTube videos. I only notice it on my iPad Pro.

Reactions: Rogifan

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Yes a number of us on beta testing saw this starting in first 13.2 beta. It seems to be especially a problem in safari for us, but we have not noticed the other issues yet (at least I have not)

Reactions: dk001

ToneDriver

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2016
Yep I've been noticing this on my iPad Air 2 with YouTube. Every time I go away from the app for a second and come back, the whole app reloads and I lose wherever I was.

Also feel like this is happening with my 11 Pro in the car when using Overcast. I'll turn off the radio for a minute, then turn it back on expecting the podcast to immediately resume like normal, but it ends up taking quite a while to come back on. Sometimes it even decides to play music or something from a different app even though Overcast was JUST playing.

Reactions: apolloa and Rogifan

tharitm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
I think in iPad 11 at least I’ve noticed the memory usage is always high and has used at least 99% of the memory, so this could be why it’s closing the apps. This is even after a fresh reboot.

monitering though cpu z

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I knew it. It was much a bigger deal on Reddit for me than it was on MacRumors. Glad it’s being noticed by everyone, this bug is so frustrating. It made my iPhone 6S more powerful at remembering background apps than my iPhone 11 Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.