Complicated issue involving my roommate assignment...thoughts?

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
I just got my roommate assignment for college the other day. I looked him up on myspace and facebook and it was apparent after about a minute of reading through his info and browsing his pictures that he is openly gay. And quite frankly....I was so creeped out and disturbed by some of the pictures and information on the page that I honestly cannot fathom being comfortable for one minute living with this guy.

Is it wrong of me to immediately request a room assignment change? And lastly, has anyone on this board ever had an experience like this?
Do not assume or you will never be surprised.

Give it a chance and see what happens. If you really don't get along I'm sure you can move rooms or swap with another person but never assume it will be one way when you've no idea what it'll be like.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Well I took the advice and started talking to him on facebook. After reassuring me that his sexuality would not be an issue I'm finding him to be a very nice guy actually. His sexuality was only discussed for two messages and now we're onto talking about other things involving college. I actually think this is going to work.
I'm quite pleased that you decided to be open minded. Hope you have a great Freshman year!

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Well I took the advice and started talking to him on facebook. After reassuring me that his sexuality would not be an issue I'm finding him to be a very nice guy actually. His sexuality was only discussed for two messages and now we're onto talking about other things involving college. I actually think this is going to work.
Very cool! It'll probably be fine. Good luck and have fun your first year!

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I agree, but there are rules as to what kind of pictures can be uploaded to those sites. Im pretty sure there won't be any of the potential roommate having drunken unprotected gang bang orgies. So, how bad can these pictures be? It's probably a few shots of the guy at a Pride Parade with no shirt on making out with someone.... They won't allow anything much more revealing than that.
Maybe he's a cross dresser. I have a few friends who are openly gay/lesbian/bi/whatever, and at first it freaked me out, but I got used to it years ago.. I don't know any cross dressers, and my first reaction if I found out that my room mate was a cross dresser, is that I'd be quite freaked out. and I'm a rather feminine guy, too!

But then I thought about it, and hey.. ya know what? Rooming with a cross dresser would probably be the best thing that could have happened to me last year at college. He'd probably be friends with a lot of girls (go me!), and open me up to a huge culture that I never new existed.

so who cares.. you'll meet all sorts of loonies and wackos in life, so if someone's just gay (or a crossdresser, or what have you), there's probably (hopefully) not much to worry about :cool:

L

Lau

That's great news, and I'm really glad to hear you seem to be getting on well with him. Hope you both have a great year.