Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
A loan applicant with a very good or excellent credit score will be unaffected by an Apple credit entry on a credit report.

An application for credit dings your credit score, that's a fact. Having an open credit account also reduces your average age of accounts, which reduced your credit score. Another fact. While it may drop someone with a very good, 800 credit score into the 780s and probably have no real effect on their ability to get credit, it's still not something some of us want on our credit report. Who knows what lenders are looking for.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
AT&T will unlock your phone once its paid off. I bought my iPhone 6 on the Next plan. Made two monthly payments then paid the phone off. AT&T unlocked my phone shortly after. Its now mine to sell unlocked whenever I choose.

My husband and I are on the 3gb share plan with rollover and we barely use any data at all.

Reactions: Boyd01

MephistoZap

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2016
How much data do you actually use? Cricket is selling a brand new iPhone 5s for $199, they are owned by att. You can get 10gb and unlimited talk and text for $55. I've been with them for over a year and really like them.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I don't see how you can generalize about this. For one thing, you don't really know how much data will cost in the future. Seems like each person needs to carefully examine their needs and choose a plan that fits them best. I had unlimited data since 2007, but retired a few years ago and now only use a few hundred MB per month. So I went with the 2gb plan when I upgraded the phone two months ago.

I was keeping the unlimited plan "just in case" I needed it at some future date. The only way I see that happening would be if I went back to work, and in that case upgrading to a bigger data plan would just be a cost of doing business. In the meantime, I don't want to pay a bunch more for an unlimited plan I don't need "just in case".
Most grandfathered unlimited plans are actually cheaper than mid and high levels for tiered data

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
True, but they also have some limitations. If I wanted to use my phone as a wifi hotspot, it would have been a very expensive add-on on the unlimited data plan. My new plan includes this feature and also has unlimited talk and text.

But like I said, you need to evalutate your own needs and choose the plan the fits them best.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I don't think that you can justify hanging on to an unlimited plan, anymore. I was a holdout for a long time as well, but you're not going to be able to get the most from AT&T (or any carrier) if you stick with unlimited. I switched to a 20GB data plan for a family of 4. It's more than enough, and whatever's left rolls over. We treat it like it's unlimited data, and we've never even gotten close to going over.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
I'm one of the early iPhone adopters that has hung unto unlimited data, which is my primary reason for staying with att. I also am a former Apple Store employee and still receive the FAN discount even though I haven't worked there for years. It's time for me to get a new phone since my current iPhone is literally useless and unsellable. Sadly, I did not upgrade before Jan 8, so I couldn't get a subsidized phone. If I do stay with att, what's the best route to take in terms of a new phone? I really can't afford a $750+ tag on buying a phone outright, but I also don't want to pay an extra $25 a month for essentially leasing a phone. I'd rather sell after a year or two and make my money back that way. And if I buy through At&t's next program, do I have to get their insurance or can I go with AppleCare instead? Is just time to jump the Att ship?
Pay cash for the 5SE. Keep your unlimited data.

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
I also hung on to the grandfathered unlimited data for many years. Recently we switched to the new unlimited plan. It actually saves us money and is even cheaper especially if you have DirecTV.

Reactions: ToroidalZeus

suprmum

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2016
An application for credit dings your credit score, that's a fact. Having an open credit account also reduces your average age of accounts, which reduced your credit score. Another fact. While it may drop someone with a very good, 800 credit score into the 780s and probably have no real effect on their ability to get credit, it's still not something some of us want on our credit report. Who knows what lenders are looking for.
I just paid off my Next contract and started a new one for iP7 - they did not check my credit for the initial contract (at least the check never appeared on either TransUnion or Equifax) the actual loan/payments have not been reported to either of these reporting companies for the duration of the 24 month contract. I only check these two so I suppose it's possible AT&T uses the third - anyone else know?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I just don't want to give up true unlimited data.
I gave it up for a family share plan when I got 40GB a month (with rollover data) for the same price. Unlimited is nothing more than peace of mind. In reality, a large enough data plan is unlimited. I typically have a pool of 60-70GB each month to draw on.

karpeltunnel10

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2015
Missouri, USA
I just paid off my Next contract and started a new one for iP7 - they did not check my credit for the initial contract (at least the check never appeared on either TransUnion or Equifax) the actual loan/payments have not been reported to either of these reporting companies for the duration of the 24 month contract. I only check these two so I suppose it's possible AT&T uses the third - anyone else know?

If you have had AT&T for more than 1 year (at any given time, even if you have left for several years and decide to come back) if they have to run credit checks then they use an internal credit check based on your past payment history with the company so you will not see it on your credit report.

Reactions: suprmum
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.