Composite Mockup of iOS 6 Maps App Based on Purported Leaked Screenshots

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BGR reports that it has received a set of blurry photos showing portions of the new Maps app that Apple is said to be preparing for launch in iOS 6. Based on those photos, the site has put together a composite mockup demonstrating how the app would appear in its entirety.
BGR has obtained exclusive information and photos of parts of Apple's new Maps app from a trusted source, and the app features a refreshed user interface including a brand new navigation bar. This bar, we're told, is silver instead of blue. Since the current Maps app follows the standard blue iOS color scheme, we think it's possible Apple might shift toward a silver color theme in iOS 6 like on the iPad.

The iPhone version of Maps has a floating locate me button (it sounds very similar to Android's Google Maps app) in the bottom left corner. To access 3D mode, which will make use of Apple's C3 Technologies acquisition, you have to peel back the lower right corner of Maps just like the current version and enable 3D mode. Once enabled, you can switch in and out of 3D mode by tapping a 3D icon in the lower left corner.

The full set of actual screenshots, which show the 3D map toggle button, a new silver-themed "Directions" button and several closeups of map content, are available in a photo gallery.

Article Link: Composite Mockup of iOS 6 Maps App Based on Purported Leaked Screenshots

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
About time. Maps is long overdue for a overhaul. Finally something to compete with Google Navigation. That works great on those 4"+ inch screens.

Coleco

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2003
Turn by turn, please

I know there are some good turn-by-turn solutions paid and free, but it would be nice if Apple offered one with the OS without need for a subscription.

Minority_taxi

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
So, Maps + Google Earth? Nothing revolutionary but looks cool.

The headline and the article clearly states this is a "composite mockup"...
You obviously didn't watch the original C3 promo video then did you, the 3D maps crap all over any map program to date.

scoobydoo99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2003
so cal
Weve seen this before
Sadly nothing too impressive.
Hilariously fake! What a bad piece of photoshop.
Agreed, these "mockups" are useless.

On another subject, though, I don't see the usefulness of a photorealistic 3D view for navigation. That's like saying I can stand in the Hollywood Hills, look out over Los Angeles, and figure out what streets I need to take by looking at the city. :confused: What I need is a 2D overhead view of the streets! No need to add complexity just for the sake of "improving".

genovelle

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
The full set of actual screenshots, which show the 3D map toggle button, a new silver-themed "Directions" button and several closeups of map content, are available in a photo gallery.

Article Link: Composite Mockup of iOS 6 Maps App Based on Purported Leaked Screenshots[/QUOTE]

I wonder how much all of this leaked information has hurt the company we all love. We want to know what they are up to but so does their competitors. They are getting better at taking this information and one upping Apple with their own ideas. Making Apple look like they were following when no-one was talking about it until the leak of info.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
ZOMG they changed the color!!!!!!?!? Seriousily they better not take off google maps. No other mapping software even comes close to the accuracy of google.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
I really hope this is not true, or at the very least allow Google to release a maps app. I like Google's huge POI database, and the fact that maps are constantly updated. I can't see Apple's own map database being as complete.

tod

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Ohio
I hope Apple does move away from Google maps. The new map designs in iPhoto are subtle and beautiful.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68020
Oct 2, 2007
On another subject, though, I don't see the usefulness of a photorealistic 3D view for navigation. That's like saying I can stand in the Hollywood Hills, look out over Los Angeles, and figure out what streets I need to take by looking at the city. :confused: What I need is a 2D overhead view of the streets! No need to add complexity just for the sake of "improving".
Exactly!

I can't stand the 3D navigation maps or even the Bird's Eye or whatever the slanted look is that many GPS systems use.

I like a straight over head shot. I can easily see there are 4 streets before my turn not 2 and maybe some more but can't see when they are squished on an angle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.