Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I love the new look colour scheme, it seems odd that the iPad is grey whereas the iPhone is still blue. It's consistent with OSX too, which also has a grey colour scheme.

Really hope iPhoto gets built into the photos app, makes no sense that there are two different apps

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
I am waiting for...

I am waiting for it to say..

"Apple Maps avalible in USA only"

On another note, I hope they bring Siri out of Beta and let it find things in the UK

vebs

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Leicester, UK
No doubt Google will prepare their own iOS map app. Which means yet another undeletable stock app I need to stuff in a corner somewhere.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Google Maps is amazing. By far my favorite App. I hope Apple gets this right or at least allows Google Maps in the App Store.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK

On another note, I hope they bring Siri out of Beta and let it find things in the UK

Defiantly!!! Siri is so useless over here, and it makes no sense it's taken so long to get these features…. Don't quite understand why Siri isn't on the iPad either…

Really hope Siri gets updated as well so you can get useful info such as cinema times, bus times, etc. and comes out of beta.

drewisanapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2011
Missouri

Maybe it'll be everywhere, and Siri will use it for navigation. Bringing that function to More places around the world.

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
I wonder how much all of this leaked information has hurt the company we all love. We want to know what they are up to but so does their competitors. They are getting better at taking this information and one upping Apple with their own ideas. Making Apple look like they were following when no-one was talking about it until the leak of info.

I wouldn't be too concerned about that--this app will likely be demo'd officially at WWDC, which is only a couple of weeks away.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
I really hope this is not true, or at the very least allow Google to release a maps app. I like Google's huge POI database, and the fact that maps are constantly updated. I can't see Apple's own map database being as complete.

Maps+ already in the app store, basically is google maps with a couple extra features, (although lacking street view I think)

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
They might, but those open source maps that are now already in use in iPhoto and are rumored to be used in the 2D version of maps are absolutely a massive step back from google maps.

The expectation is that the openstreet maps are a temporary fixture until Apple launch their mapping service.

I doubt the 2d version will look anything like what you currently see in iPhoto. :D

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
2D is the most important, but 3D is VERY useful as well sometimes. I fear that, like Google Street View when it was new, coverage of that feature will be sparse at first, probably just certain most-populous areas. But hopefully it will expand in time.

Google Earth is often fun but actually useful, too—occasionally--for seeing a general lay of the land; lets me know what to expect when I set out on an unknown route away from the city. However, it’s a very vague kind of 3D when you get anywhere near the surface, with hills/valleys/bridges being very approximate, and buildings being simplified and stuck onto a ground surface that has distorted additional images of those same buildings.

Google Street View is VERY useful (and hopefully still present in Maps) for seeing tricky intersections/driveways in advance, looking for junction signs and business signs, and other small details you just can’t see from above. However, it has two problems: the obnoxious “jump 20 feet” thing instead of smoothly moving, and very low quality at times: so blurry and washed out that I can’s make out even big signs.

If by some miracle the new 3D view lets me get down to street level and see small landmarks better than Google, I’ll be very happy. Since the imagery comes from planes IIRC, I’m not holding my breath. Failing that, it still seems to show major landmarks, buildings, and the lay of the land much better than Google Earth. I’ll be glad to have it even if it’s not a daily life-changer.

(If they add turn-by-turn navigation, I will NOT be glad to have it :eek: I’ve seen my Android friends get in a bind when they lose their cell signal and Internet connection. Driving instructions are too important to be reliant on the phone company’s signal! I’d be in the same boat if I used Waze or MapQuest on iOS. Instead I paid a measly ~$20 for Navigon MyRegion and have full navigation even with NO phone signal available. Which includes the most remote areas, where GPS navigation is vital. Full navigation apps are so cheap that having “navigation sometimes” for free is hardly an Android selling point. It’s yet another thing that sounds good in a bullet list and doesn’t mean much in practice: spend ~$20 and get something far better. There are many nice GPS apps on iPhone, with no ongoing subscription costs needed.)

The expectation is that the openstreet maps are a temporary fixture until Apple launch their mapping service.

I doubt the 2d version will look anything like what you currently see in iPhoto. :D

Right—what you currently see in iPhone is supposed to look like a “tourist map” with an old-timey look. Almost like a pirate map, even. It’s a map “theme” with a specific intent: to dress up your photos, just like there are themes in OS X mail which you can choose, and are not the “Apple style.” I’ve never cared one bit about Apple’s various iPhone/email/iDVD themes; I guess as a designer I don’t want anyone else contributing to the look of what I do, even if it’s a family slideshow! But I recognize that this all those iPhone maps are—a theme to dress up your photo presentations. Ideally they should have more than one theme... maybe they will. I’d like an “aerial” and a “minimalist” theme to choose from.

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
In all honesty, that is one ugly mockup. The pictures that it was based off were rather awful, but I suspect that, if real, they were taken of the Maps.app on an iPad, hence the metal styling.

I say that because:

a) You only ever see location/3D button on the bottom left of the device, but it's not present in any other images, with the implication being that it's the only picture with the bottom left of the screen in.

b) With the size of the pinch in this picture, you should see at least one edge if it were an iPhone.

c) This picture shows both a directions icon AND the text "directions." Why have both; especially on a device where screen real estate is of prime importance?

d) The metal styling itself.

Sure I could be wrong, and maybe it's an iPhone with a larger screen, but it all seems a little too strange to me.

[EDIT]

On an unrelated note, I hope Apple have been throwing some of their billions around getting a huge amount of 3D map coverage - if they are indeed primed to release a new version. Anyone have any clue/idea how long it would take to cover a city from images to implementation? It seems like it would be a huge job.

Last edited:

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
I hope Apple does move away from Google maps. The new map designs in iPhoto are subtle and beautiful.

The new maps in iPhoto for iOS are ridiculously outdated and even have plain spelling mistakes. They are beautiful, but there should be a bit more to a map than just the look.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK

Yeah, that's my concern, at least for the 3D thing.

Mind you, I'm not that interested in that. I'm more excited about that patent they filed a while back where it hid things that weren't on your route, so you just saw a nice clean map of what you'd be traveling through. That and text that moves to orientate itself with the compass.

email2markt

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
My opinion is it will never launch. How would dropping a pin work in 3D. 99% of the time it's going to drop completely in the wrong place. I think it's more likely to be a prototype that will never get released.

Hexatron

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2007
Ugh. I'll be really disappointed if they let you see the world in 3D (which, as everyone is saying, is kinda useless for navigation), but still don't let you see all your bookmarks on a map at once. This is basic functionality that exists on every Android phone. C'mon!

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Google Maps is amazing. By far my favorite App. I hope Apple gets this right or at least allows Google Maps in the App Store.

For that to happen wouldn't Google need to write their own iOS app for Maps? As far as I know, the stock Google apps (YouTube, Maps) were written by Apple.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Agreed, these "mockups" are useless.

On another subject, though, I don't see the usefulness of a photorealistic 3D view for navigation. That's like saying I can stand in the Hollywood Hills, look out over Los Angeles, and figure out what streets I need to take by looking at the city. :confused: What I need is a 2D overhead view of the streets! No need to add complexity just for the sake of "improving".

I think we're looking at another 'View' option as in versions past. As is now, click the little curl on the bottom right and you can view as 'Standard' 'Satellite' 'Hybrid' or 'List'. I can see it just being another option in this area. NOT a default view for actual navigation, route planning or en route direction following.

In my opinion (and as a two decade + flight sim geek), I like it. I own both the iPhone 4s and the Galaxy Note (my first Android phone) and I can definitely attest to the Google Maps functionality. It's Very VERY good. And it's Free:)

On my 4s I use GPS MotionX (GPS Drive)--but again, having a built in/free option (with the street view) is Very VERY cool! I like both phones for different reasons---but I'd love to see Apple implement some of their mapping company purchases in iOS devices. It's going to happen--and sooner than later. They're well aware of the offerings on Android.

J

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Nokia implemented this 3D mapping in OVI Maps ( now Nokia Maps ) last year, also using C3 Technologies before Apple took them over. It contained a handful of major cities throughout the world, not just the US.

It was also possible to pan around 360 degrees and see buildings from all angels, pan up and down. It is very nice technology. The graphics are consistent with those that are displayed in this story. They are not fake.

So, itis absolutely possible for Apple to integrate into a mobile application. I'd expect it to happen.

Very, very nice.

Last edited:

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
For that to happen wouldn't Google need to write their own iOS app for Maps? As far as I know, the stock Google apps (YouTube, Maps) were written by Apple.

Interesting. I suppose so. If anything they've already been working on their own App because of the rumors about Apple's own Maps app. Shouldn't be too difficult though because it's their mapping info in the app.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Help me out, Apple brethren. I like the Google Maps app, but I often find it to be rather useless for driving directions because of the lack of turn-by-turn voice features. The best thing that happened to that app is the "Navigate From Maps" jailbreak app that adds a button that will open your GPS app of choice from Google Maps with the address already filled in. So what do you all use it for the most - walking, driving, etc? Do you find it distracting to have to follow text instructions in the car or worse, following the moving blue dot?

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Agreed, these "mockups" are useless.

On another subject, though, I don't see the usefulness of a photorealistic 3D view for navigation. That's like saying I can stand in the Hollywood Hills, look out over Los Angeles, and figure out what streets I need to take by looking at the city. :confused: What I need is a 2D overhead view of the streets! No need to add complexity just for the sake of "improving".

Seriously? I agree with you about static 3D not being particularly useful but that's not what C3 were working on. The trick with 3D is it must be true 3D and allow you to rotate around an object. If that works in a handheld device (in this case, iPhone) it is massively useful in a mapping application, especially for those who struggle to orient themselves against a 2D top-down map.

Here, an example complete with handy YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSmunh6NIQI

Hit the location button on iPhone and it gives your position and direction as it does now. A lot of people struggle to link that 2D image to what they're seeing in front of them and will simply follow the directions given (witness how many trust their GPS to the point of driving off cliffs, into rivers etc). With a 3D map the iPhone can present a 'what you should see' view that is FAR easier to lineup with the real world and much easier to use for walking directions too.

Now I'm not saying that the next map update will do this. The tech is still tricky, map update issues have to be resolved and then there's the size of the data transfer required. But dealing with a purely theoretical situation, yes I can see this being a huge benefit if they can get it to work properly.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I don't see the usefulness of a photorealistic 3D view for navigation. That's like saying I can stand in the Hollywood Hills, look out over Los Angeles, and figure out what streets I need to take by looking at the city. :confused: What I need is a 2D overhead view of the streets! No need to add complexity just for the sake of "improving".

Correct! This is a great app for someone to see the country from their couch, but totally useless for figuring out how to get to where you want to go, unless you're flying in a chopper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.