Concerned about lag on the Retina Pro? Taking requests!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheMacBookPro, Jun 28, 2012.

1. TheMacBookPro, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I know that some of you are still on the fence, wondering about the lag issue that's been so widely reported on this forum and whether or not it will be fixed by Mountain Lion.

Well, I'll be uploading some videos to alleviate some of the worries. Links will be added below as I upload new videos:

If there's anything specific you'd like me to demonstrate, I can try to take a video of whatever it is you want.

I'm running Mountain Lion DP4 with all the updates applied on a 2.6GHz/16GB RAM Retina MacBook Pro and web page demonstrations will be done in Safari. I will not be installing Chrome due to the reports of it causing crashes.

Cheers,

2. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

looks fine to me.

thank you for taking your time to do this :)

3. battlehamsta macrumors newbie

Thanks for testing this. Do you know if the 2.3 ghz version will perform just as smoothly?

4. TheMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Glad to be able to help!

I don't think the CPU will be the bottleneck for general tasks like web browsing, so I would say that it should perform just as well.

The difference between the 2.3 and 2.6 (they're both plenty powerful) is barely noticeable even in benchmarks, so it's not likely to make a noticeable difference in real-life usage.

5. georgia-svt macrumors newbie

I have the 2.3/8/256 and I have no lag at all everything is smooth.
    jeff

6. chituan macrumors newbie

Could you please do it in 1920x1200 for facebook and theverge and general mission control stuff in ML dp4 ? The best could be to use quartz debug and frame meter to measure the fps like in Anandtech to see if there is a difference between best retina and 1200p.

Thanks

7. TheMacBookPro, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

TheMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

You're going to have to tell me exactly what to do- where do I get QuartzDebug?

EDIT: OK, looks like I'd need to install the developer tools. Sorry, but I don't have the time to do that right now. Nonetheless I've made a video with your requests incorporated and the link will show up in the original post once it's uploaded :) Hope this helps you!

8. Maziar macrumors 6502

9. macNewbie02 macrumors regular

10. fs454 macrumors 65816

It still seems hard to tell via the video, maybe based on the uneven framerate/handheld nature of it. It's just really odd that we get this lag on very powerful computers but I can load any page on my iPad 3 and have not a single issue even when scrolling as fast as possible down a large page.

11. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

I hope ML takes care of most of the lag. I am nervously anxious for mine to get in.

12. TheMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Thanks for everyone's thanks! :)

Unfortunately, I left my video camera somewhere else and the only video camera I have on-hand is my iPhone 4S, so I can't get better video at this time.

Still, having video is better than just text. People's opinions are just subjective and even with my slightly low res videos it's still clear enough for someone to make their own decision as to whether or not it's laggy.

13. conandoyle macrumors member

who really explore the internet that fast? reading websites and dragging them like a maniac

14. mat25 macrumors regular

mat25

15. TheMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Nobody. If it can keep up at that kind of speed, then it can certainly keep up at a slower pace.

I note down which GPU was used in the video's description. For most of the videos, I was solely using the HD4000. The 1920x1200 scaling video I just uploading has a mix of the 650M and HD4000- I clearly show when I change GPUs in gfxCardStatus.

16. mat25 macrumors regular

mat25

Thanks, I'm on a phone so I didn't really think to check the description. Also didn't see the latest vid.

17. TheMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Two new videos have just been uploaded demonstrating the 1920x1200 'More Space' scale- please check the original post for the links.

No worries :) I literally just got the 1920x1200 videos up so they probably weren't there when you checked.

18. zjazz macrumors 6502

This is awesome!!!! Thanks for these videos!!!! :):):)
    ml rules on rmbp- or rmbp rules on ml :):):)

19. BigZ9 macrumors member

Thanks for the videos! Just out of curiosity, was the performance significantly bad under Lion?

20. luemmel123 macrumors newbie

21. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

22. Newtype macrumors member

Thanks a lot for putting in the time. It's really helping me with my decision. :)

23. TheMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Thanks for the support everyone, and I'm really glad I've been able to help :)

I can't say, as my rMBP was delivered without an OS installed for some reason. I was thus forced to go straight to ML DP4 (which I was planning to do anyways).

Read about my ordeal here.

Hm, that's pretty strange- I haven't been seeing that sort of lag on mine. Are you running ML, and can you provide me with the link to the website you're demonstrating with so I can try it out?

I read that article too. As you can see in the videos posted in OP, it's not as bad as the numbers sound- when scrolling along Facebook at a normal pace the lag isn't noticeable at all.

24. freudling macrumors regular

Sorry but concluding that the rMBP is a decent performer is plain wrong. We're developers and have been using the rMBP for a week and it's brutal. Every UI event is slow. It's choppy and unacceptable. We're running the latest DP of Mountain Lion.

Window redraws, swiping into Dashboard, bringing up the Dock, maximizing windows, etc. All slow and choppy.

This is a real issue. Buyer and Developer beware.

25. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

I have the 2.3 and I have to say in Lion it's certainly not that smooth. It does however look much smoother using Mountain Lion. Looking forward to the update ;)