Concerns about moderation

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by rdowns, Aug 2, 2011.

1. rdowns, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2011

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Moderator note: This post was moved from the Who's writing the front page articles? thread. The post addresses two topics: the editorial style in news articles and the comment below about moderation. We've moved the post to this separate thread for those who want to discuss forum moderation.

Some readers are specifically criticizing a writer. The site owner says stick to the front page if you don't like the style. I get the same vibe when the site's moderation is questioned and the moderators all tell everyone they don't report enough posts.

No one is criticizing the light hearted stories, they are criticizing the writing style which jars with the other writers on the site.

jlgolson's response was completely unprofessional.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Please start a new thread and explain what you mean so we can address it.

3. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

You're kidding, right? I think you know exactly what he means.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

No, not kidding.

5. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

With all due respect Doctor Q, we've had many of these threads over the years. I see no reason to revisit it.

6. Doctor Q, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You'd be helping the site and other users by making clear what your concern/complaint is, so feel free to say more, ask for feedback, or make suggestions.

In the meantime, we've moved this post and the posts above to a new Site and Forum Feedback thread because the other thread was about the news/blog site and this thread is about the forums.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How many threads do we need to discuss moderation, we have had long drawn out threads in the past that just about aired out all of the grievances, if those have not been dealt with yet what is the point.

8. d4rkc4sm, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011

d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

i just got an infraction for a post i made TWO months ago, concerning consecutive posts.

srsly robbie, did you need to send me a warning about that? jesus christ :rolleyes:

in my haste, i realized i posted in the right title but wrong content.

9. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I hope I'm not the only one who sees the irony here. ;)

As it's been said before, individual concerns over moderation should be handled privately.

As for the creation of this thread. This topic has been beaten to death. There is a 105 reply thread that was started on July 29th, Link so starting another one makes little sense to me.

10. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

"handled privately" on this forum would be like the communist chinese burying their derailed trains. no thanks.

ffs, arn or whoever please put a leash on your moderators!

11. WillEH, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I couldn't agree more.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Moderation is private by default, but any member can give us permission to discuss all the details in public. And we can discuss any specific rule as well.

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Looks like quite a few because members always bring it up in other threads which makes the thread go off-topic. You start these discussions, not us. This time Q split the discussion, the other option would have been to delete the posts. We also have several new mods (including me) with a fresh set of eyes - we were in the same position as you not so long ago.

14. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As above this would normally be handled privately but if you prefer I'll happily reply here. In my view (and I am happy for the other moderators and admins to contradict me) one of the important aims of moderation is consistency. If we do not treat all users similarly we will, rightly, be accused of favouritism. As such I issued the lowest level reminder available when I saw your consecutive posts. This is the same action I take in all such cases where there is no history of previous warnings for the issue.

15. wpotere Guest

I got one of those infractions for consecutive posting. Don't you guys think that a simple PM first would be the way to go on a silly issue like this? To the user, at least this is how I feel, it comes across heavy handed when you give an infraction for something like that. In my case it was an accident as I was trying to get one more post in as I leave and I forgot to use the multi quote. Now I have what I deem as a marred record on the site.... You could have simply sent a PM and used something like user notes to annotate that I have been warned, then if I do it again you can give me an infraction. Still, consecutive posting? Really?

As for the rest of the moderation I don't feel that it is bad nor do I mind when posts disappear without a reason. I just figure that you are trying to keep things civilized and if I notice that I am in the mix when the posts start to disappear I simply move on.

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The issue is, sending a warning/infraction is an automated procedure. It automatically quotes the post and other adds other stuff. However, a regular PM is not automated at all, which means we have write all of that on our own. I know that sounds lazy but you must take into account that there are hundreds of instances like consecutive posting everyday. We are all volunteers and have our day jobs and other routines. We simply don't have time to write individual PMs for all users. PMs might also cause the messages to vary a lot since each mod would have his own style of writing, which could be problematic as well.

We understand this issue as warning does indeed sound harsh, and we are working on improving it as we speak. Q or other admin can talk about the details if he wants to.

From the Forum Rules

For the record, I have received two warning during my membership and I'm now a mod, so you shouldn't be too concerned about them. Just take the word and try to avoid breaking the rules in the future and you won't have a problem. We understand that we are all humans and make mistakes

17. wpotere Guest

Fair enough and I do understand about the size of the forum, it can be difficult to keep up with everything that is going on. I was just venting my opinion on the matter. ;)

18. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Um, no. Doctor Q took it upon himself to start a thread using my post with a throwaway line even after I declined to start one. :rolleyes:

Let's get real. The admins love threads about moderation but nothing changes.

19. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

...because nothing's broken.

20. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And you are entitled to your opinion.

21. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So would you prefer that your post was deleted instead? Then you would most likely be blaming us for censorship.

22. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It seems unlikely that there is absolutely no room for improvement. If clear issues are presented with viable solutions I'm sure they will be looked at.

For example the initial post in this thread has as much to do with writing stlye as with moderation. I've had issues with the style of articles posted in the past (in particular the Domino's Pizza iOS app one) and sent arn a tweet about them and posted in the comments thread. Sufficient other people agreed and the title was changed to something that felt less like a paid-for placement. Note this was before I was a moderator so had no extra sway with arn... If enough people make clam, reasoned criticisms of the style it will probably end up being changed.

23. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I'm a member on a few forums and this one is moderated no differently from the others.

I can't believe there is a complaints thread. lol

24. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why would the post be deleted? It was on topic in the thread where it was originally posted.