Congrats, Tim, on the worst iPhone launch in history!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sammyman, Sep 16, 2016.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I ordered a black 128gb iPhone 7+ about 2 minutes after midnight on the Apple store app. Successful transaction. Confirmed a pickup time of 10:30-11am at the Union Square Apple store.

This morning after reading reports that people were being turned away with no phone, I was skeptical if I should go at all.

Showed up at 10:30 with a huge line. Probably 500 people. Totally disorganized too. There were 3 lines but no one could tell me what the middle line was for.

Around 11:15am, I looked at my order and it had changed from "Pickup 10:30-11" to "Available September 27". WTF? So I grab some useless employee who finally finds my order and he says, "Oh you paid for it in full on the web, yeah you should be fine."

12:54pm and I get to the front, only to get another employee to pull my order and say, "You're one of the customers that doesn't have a phone." Nope, no phone for me until September 27th.

Thanks for the heads up, Apple!

2. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I hope they gave you something for your troubles. Ridiculous!

3. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nothing. I was like, "So that's it?" And they said, "Yeah, sorry."

I said I'll email Tim, and they said that would be a good idea.

4. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

5. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

This definitely was not the smoothest launch. The customer in front you probably got the last two iPhones to.

7. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ha ha. I wanted to find the guy who told me to continue waiting and punch him in the face. But it's just a phone. Just a waste of my morning, toll, gas.

8. Trogdor796 macrumors regular

Trogdor796

It seems every launch since she's been in position has not been great. Then again I don't have as long of a history with Apple launches as many people here, so I could be completely wrong.

9. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

The change in pickup status wasn't a heads up?

10. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I've already emailed Tim Cook about my October 4-10 ship date range. A free black leather case is on it's way to me.

I didn't ask for it. I want my phone, not a case, but I wasn't turning it down either.

11. Snot Rox macrumors 6502

Snot Rox

The Union Square location always looks like it's a mess.

12. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

I'm sure Tim is working hard as we speak in order to solve your problem.....

Probably not, he doesn't even care.

13. Ezra923 macrumors regular

I just walked in and out with my phone in hand from the soho store. I always avoid 14 street store

14. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seriously!? The status changed after I had been waiting in line for 45min! After the window had passed!

15. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

She changed Apple's culture. Everything is so messed up since she joined Apple.

16. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

EJ8

It definitely wasn't the smoothest. But think about it. We're asking a whole lot of Apple. We all want a new phone every year. We want it to be different. And better. Much better. We want them to deliver it to every single person on the same day. And we want to turn it on and it just freakin work! We don't want any issues. We don't want any hurdles. We want and NEED for it to be perfect dammit! :p

Each and every year iPhone launch day is probably the biggest product launch in the history of human civilization. Nothing compares at all to it's sheer size and effort required. I think they do a pretty good job at it.

17. TurboPGT! Suspended

You and everyone else. Take a number, and sit down.

18. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Every launch has similar thread - always the worst.
    Everyone said no one was going to buy one and they are out of phones everywhere. Sales obviously exceeded expectation.

19. Foo4Everlong macrumors member

You think Steve is rolling over in his grave?!?!

20. kovey macrumors 6502a

But he didn't get an iPhone on day 1!!! Wahhh-wahhhh!!!

21. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

If that's the case then what's the deal with the Silver 32GB? Seems very few folks at ANY carrier have gotten theirs. Seems to me like they were way too short sighted and there is no excuse for that except poor planning.

22. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Maybe the store got a short-shipment.

That would be the only valid excuse.

23. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

Logistics and supply chain management is difficult. There are a million things that can go wrong anywhere along the chain, from insufficient parts to produce the phones to boxes being misplaced or improperly scanned sometime during delivery.

24. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

FIFY The worst iPhone launch in history perhaps for you.