Connector pinged off logic board 2010 MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by covisio, Sep 10, 2018.

1. covisio macrumors 6502

covisio

Oh bother (or words to that effect).

Decided to clean up and renew the thermal paste around the processors on my Mid-2010 Macbook on Saturday, it all seemed to be going well until I put it all back together and it wouldn't start up at all - absolutely nothing when pressing the power button.

Started to take it back to bits, got the logic board off and all of a sudden..PING! one of the little surface mount connectors came off the board. I think it's the right speaker cable connector according to iFixit:

upload_2018-9-10_14-52-44.png

So two questions: 1. would a problem with this connector cause the computer not to boot; and 2. how difficult is this to repair?

I'm fond of this computer so really would like to save it.

2. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

If the solder pad from the board broke off. No chance. New board u need

If just the solder from the connector u can resolder if you have the equipment. But as u asked this here u probably don’t have the experience to solder?

3. covisio thread starter macrumors 6502

covisio

I have soldered before but never tiny surface mount stuff like this. I think the pads are ok, the connector has come off cleanly.
    But going back to my original point 2., a broken speaker connector wouldn’t stop the machine from booting, right?

4. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

It shouldn’t. But that’s just my speculation. I can’t test it as I don’t have the machine. Sorry

5. covisio thread starter macrumors 6502

covisio

OK, thanks for the help.
    I've put it all together, I cannot see any other damage or issue and it won't turn on, absolutely nothing.
    I shall have to look at repair options.

6. covisio thread starter macrumors 6502

covisio

Just thought I'd wrap this one up for completion.
    Turned out the reason it wouldn't turn on was that the keyboard cable was, by a fractional amount, not seated fully. MacBook now turns on and works fine, albeit with only one speaker working, which I can live with for now.