Considering Abstaining from Technology This New Year

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MICHAELSD, Dec 31, 2013.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

As much as I love my iDevices, they consume me -- and a lot of the world. I'm tired of wasting hours a day on a computer even though I know the very ins and outs of every device at a fanatical level. I feel like these can retract from our lives and end up wasting our precious time.

Considering downgrading my rMBP and I'd even consider just ditching my 5s for a dumbphone even though I've owned every iPhone! As much as I love my gadgets I want to live without being attached to my iPhone six hours each day. How many of you wake up and don't even get out of bed since you're catching up on your iPhone?

I don't think I'd mind after a week or two not having these gadgets taking up my time, despite how a lot of my work is done on these.

It feels like wishful thinking but self control is impossible when you're surrounded by 3 iDevices.

These do add to our lives in some miraculous ways but I'm sure each one of you can think of time better spent each day when playing Candy Crush or checking email for the 100th time.

Want to be free... not sure how :cool:.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nop offense but that sound ludicrous.

I use my idevices, laptops and technology to make my life easier. Why would I want to abandon technology in 2014. It provides entertainment, it helps me earn a living and keeps me connected to people I care about.

3. And macrumors 6502

And

Good luck with that!

Probably you just need to re-evaluate your use of said devices so you are more productive. Delete candy crush if that is your vice?

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

If Candy Crush is your vice, then I think you could be a lot worse off. Think of all the other addictions out there and the effect they have on you.

I couldn't be without my iPhone/iPad/iMac because they make my life easier not harder. I'm old enough to remember the days when we didn't have mobile phones. When you had to arrange to meet someone in town and be there for 2 house because their train got delayed. With no way to contact each other it was a nightmare.
    Or what about being able to send an email or check on your work stuff when you are out of the office? Years ago I used to get in to the office after a holiday and spend the day sorting through hundreds of emails that would take up the whole day. Now when I have a bit of down time, I can just open up my work email and get a bit done in the 5 minutes I have.
    Being able to sort appointments without having to go home and check my diary first.
    Sharing a photo or a video with a loved one.

There are so many ways that technology helps improve our lives. If your spending 6 hours a day playing Candy Crush then maybe you should evaluate your technology usage. As for me I will stick with the technology thanks.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Feature phones are good enough now that they have the basic productivity apps built-in. That's the reason why I'm going back to one this year and ditching my smartphone. I'll save a lot of money doing it too.

Of course I have an iPod Touch and iPad, but those are things I will only use when it's appropriate, and I won't be carrying them around everywhere, except school and extended trips.

When it comes to games, you have to have a plan. You buy one, you play it, you delete it. I don't play games tied into social networking, or that are basically just an endless zen mode because I don't want the game to own me. There was a time where I could easily do that, but I'm an adult now and there are better things to do with my time.

I unsubscribed to pretty much every newsletter, so I only get 5 pieces or less of e-mail everyday now.

Don't give up your computer. That's a desperate move. There are apps that will help you stop getting into your Steam games, Safari, or whatever during certain times. There are apps that will force you to take a break. These are better alternatives than just giving the computer up altogether.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Umm, your idea of abstaining from technology is to continue to use the same technology from a few years ago?

Self control is impossible? Is this causing problems in your life?

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Instead of abstaining from using technology, why not abstain from getting (read buying) any new technology. Keep what you already have, but just don't add to it or upgrade.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

good luck, I imagine you might get a sense of freedom after a bit.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Good luck with this portion - many of use are able to control access and not get too wrapped up but not everyone.

As I mentioned I'm not too keen on the idea, but if you're addicted to candy crush and cannot stop, perhaps changing over to a dumb phone is a good solution for you.

My phone is needed for my day to day work, getting emails, getting paged for when servers are down. Interacting with my team. Likewise my rMBP is a great tool, it handles aperture wonderfully, I cannot image downgrading just for the sake of using older technology.

10. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

11. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I can certainly appreciate the desire to dial back the use of tech/devices as I'm hoping to do the same, but within reason. The simple fact is that the world around us now operates on technology and to try to remove said tech from your life would also be to handicap your own ability to function effectively. Unless your job and lifestyle can permit you to go with regular access to email, messaging, certain computer software, you're just limiting yourself.

Figure out what is essential and try to cut out what you don't need to do your job or for school, to interact with family and friends, and cut out the extra. And yes, there has to be a certain level of personal self control. Try setting very specific limits to the time you allow yourself on your devices and stick to it. After a while you may find you don't miss it as much.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Borg reference FTW.

13. Bear macrumors G3

Or maybe you should delete all the apps you loaded in to your phone. If it isn't on the phone your attention can't be on them.

14. Roller macrumors 68020

I think I'm gonna abstain from using tech this year too.

Oops!

15. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You can do what I do. At the end of the work day I turn off my ringer and plug the phone into the charger and don't look at it again until the next day. On weekends I rarely ever look at it I just go about fixing up the house, working on a hobby, &c.

16. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Why not keep the iPhone you already have and disable everything? Keep Safari and Maps there for obvious reasons.

17. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I considered dropping my smartphone for a "dumbphone", but since I'm not footing the "smart" part of the bill, I don't save any money...

But I tried it out, and what I needed up doing was using my smartphone sans-SIM as a mini-tablet in bed, and my phone as a phone. The end result: Nothing changed.

But good luck :D

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Exactly, trying to stay away from them isn't going to work in this day and age.

19. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

This sounds good. I need to try this. Macrumors is just always here :D

Perhaps buying the lowest capacity iphone possible would help the OP. Not a lot of room for apps on a 4gb phone, leaves room for email, maps and the like.

20. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Go for it. I'd be willing to assist you by purchasing that rMBP from you cheaply. Can even trade it for a 2011 regular MBP if you like.

21. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Instead of abstaining from technology, try getting a job and some hobbies. I find I'm rarely on my phone when I'm busy.

22. r.harris1 macrumors 6502a

r.harris1

Self control is always possible. Surely you have more interesting things in life than your iDevices, correct? Family, friends, work, hobbies are all techno-diversions. I used to keep my phone by the bed. It now gets thrown into a drawer in another room each night. I can think of no reason anyone would need to get a hold of me, really, for anything, unless someone is paying me to be on the other end of a communication device overnight. Even with a death in the family, the family member will still be dead in the morning :D.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

In the first world of the twenty-first century, I am not sure that it is possible to 'abstain' from technology, or, at least, 'abstain entirely' from technology, not if one has a job which requires access to the wired world and demands from an employee the ability to avail of that.

However, I am fairly certain that it is possible to set limits, or boundaries on the appropriate use of technology, and on the degree to which one can consider it permissible for it to invade your personal and private space (or control your public and/or professional space).

So, why not set boundaries which would set out when technology can be used, and when it can not be used? The key to controlling technology, is to define the circumstances, settings, time, and locations when and where you choose (or decide) to use it.

For example, I never answer my phone when I am eating out, or having a meal, or a social drink with friends. Likewise, when I am at home, my phone (which is not a smart phone) is usually in a briefcase, and, if it rings, it remains unanswered - private time is private time.

Above all, if I am writing a paper, or thinking about what I need to write, or reading and mulling things over, phones remain unanswered unless it is the most pressing emergency which requires an immediate response. You can always return calls at a time more convenient for you.

24. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Pretty much the advice I would offer. Making yourself busy is indeed the best way to reduce the time spent on smartphones.

Ah, Scepticalscribe, wonderfully worded. If only everyone was like you....

25. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I hear what you're saying. I've had these exact same thoughts. At times I just feel like I'm too "connected" by having a smartphone. It's a constant stream all day, email alerts/Facebook alerts/SnapChat alerts/text messages, etc. I have thought about just ditching it all together and going back to a dumb phone. It sounds like a nice thought, but I know the minute I get rid of my iPhone I'm going to want it back, lol. I know that I have control over all of this...I could put my phone on silent, better manage which alerts pop up, etc.

Ultimately, I enjoy having the ability to be connected all the time, and I enjoy being able to stay in touch with people so easily...but there are times that I find it a bit overwhelming and far too time consuming. However, that isn't the phone's fault, it's MY fault. Talk about a First World problem. :)