Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Admitting you have a problem is the first step. That's good. Whether your struggle is to the degree of an addiction or simply a lack of self control, improving starts with setting some basic goals and getting some accountability in your life. Start with small steps and work toward bigger ones. There's already been a lot of good suggestions made in this thread, delete games, set your devices aside on weeknights/weekends, don't let your devices intrude on time with family or friends, etc. etc.

I think one of the major mistakes people make is thinking that they can "multi-task" with their devices and be more productive. In general, "multi-tasking" is less productive and more often distracting. And, when you start "multitasking" with people, i.e. sending texts, answering email, or playing a game while trying to have a conversation or spend time with a friend or family member simultaneously, you send that person the message that they are not important enough for you to give them your full attention. Find a balance between your devices and people and learn to use your devices in a way that they are a help in your life and not a distraction. This is a goal we should all strive toward.

Last edited:

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I've always used technology, but I can see how it can be an addiction. Even tech illiterate people pull out their gadgets while eating at restaurants. My wife jokes that I'm addicted to my phone, but then I just have to point around and show her that 9/10 people in that restaurant are on their phones (and I'm usually not).

Before my smartphone I had a Palm. Before my Palm I carried around a notebook. I've always had something I used to keep track of my day and appointments even as far back as elementary school. Yet, I have no problem silencing my phone and keeping it in my pocket.

For me, the worst is when someone gets a call mid conversation and picks it up. If I'm with my wife I will always mute it using the voldown button (otherwise it's on for emergencies).

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The chance of abstaining from technology/computers went out the window when I was about 8 years old and my dad brought home our first computer. Hooked for life and loving every moment.

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Also, if I have to go to the hospital, I will ask that the doctors refrain from using antibiotics, anesthesia, surgical steel, or even washing of hands.

While I can empathize with the urge to not get completely absorbed by our digitoys, there's no getting around the fact that we live in a world surrounded by technology, and basically always have, since we learned to bang the rocks together.

The easiest way to resist the lure of our digitoys is just to find some other way to entertain yourself. Take up a musical instrument (one that doesn't get plugged in), or painting, or woodworking. It is one of the reasons I keep my wet darkroom. Our ancestors invented a whole world of things without computers, and there's plenty of stuff you can still do without them.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I couldn't be without my iPhone/iPad/iMac because they make my life easier not harder.

And your camera don't forget! :)

I think my camera would be the last piece of technology I'd give up. Oh, I'd better keep a computer too to put my photos on!

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
This is 100% serious and original advice that I hope helps you:

Drop the parts of your life that require iDevice usage! What do I mean? Quit checking email 100 times a day, devote less time to Candy Crush, and don't focus on your devices.

Even if you have to turn off wifi!

The second you start looking at lolcats again is the second you lose any chance at reducing your usage.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As much as I love my iDevices, they consume me -- and a lot of the world. I'm tired of wasting hours a day on a computer even though I know the very ins and outs of every device at a fanatical level. I feel like these can retract from our lives and end up wasting our precious time.

Considering downgrading my rMBP and I'd even consider just ditching my 5s for a dumbphone even though I've owned every iPhone! As much as I love my gadgets I want to live without being attached to my iPhone six hours each day. How many of you wake up and don't even get out of bed since you're catching up on your iPhone?

I don't think I'd mind after a week or two not having these gadgets taking up my time, despite how a lot of my work is done on these.

It feels like wishful thinking but self control is impossible when you're surrounded by 3 iDevices.

These do add to our lives in some miraculous ways but I'm sure each one of you can think of time better spent each day when playing Candy Crush or checking email for the 100th time.

Want to be free... not sure how :cool:.

Maybe your focus should be on abstaining from obsession with these devices and just use them as tools while lightening up on the social aspects of connectivity? You don't go and sit in your car all day (do you?) Think about what keeps you tinkering with your devices, keep your priorities straight, and do what you should be doing, not non stop texting and surfing. If it is external pressure, just put the phone on airplane mode while working. Catch up on breaks or when you get home! Learn to resist temptation. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.