Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If you were to purchase the 4" iPhone SE, what phone would you be switching from?

• A non-smartphone

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Another 4" phone (E.g. iPhone 5(S))

Votes: 60 26.2%
  • A 4.7" phone (E.g. iPhone 6)

Votes: 86 37.6%
  • A 5.5" phone (E.g. iPhone 6+)

Votes: 56 24.5%
  • A 5.7"+ phone (E.g. Note 5/Galaxy S6 Edge)

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • A 3.5" phone (E.g. iPhone 4(S))

Votes: 13 5.7%

• Total voters

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
The iPhone 6 and 6s are the only iPhones I've ever had that I've been afraid of dropping. I never felt like the others would slip out of my hand. I've had every model except the 3g(s).

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I can't make any type of decision until the new phone is introduced and it's specs revealed. I have a 6 Plus now and am pretty happy with it. I may just keep that and not upgrade every 2 years as I usually do. I am on AT&T and WOULD have been eligible for an upgrade in September.

Basically I will do whatever I have to do to keep my unlimited data plan.

Goatllama

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2015
Mountaintop Lair
I'll be switching from the Verizon Dare (I'm one of the 3 'dumb phone' votes)! Been waiting for a phone that is comparably small that also has Apple Pay. That was the main thing for me. Would've gotten the 5s, but I've waited so long now that I may as well get its spiritual successor.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
I would love to have a 4" screen again, but I'm not sure if I want to go without 3D touch after having the 6S for 6 months. It has really changed the way I use my phone quite drastically. I know I'm in the minority on that, but it's pretty much the one thing that will stop me from switching down to the SE.

Reactions: catean

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Have you noticed that the biggest poll respondents are the 4.7" owners?

That is interesting.

While interesting I think its more likely many of us with the 4.7 device had no choice for a smaller updated device and had to choose between big or way too big. I lived with a 5.5 for 3 days before returning it. My choice was the older 5s or an updated 6 at the time. Not a day goes by I don't regret the choice I made. My 4.7 iPhone 6 is my least favorite iPhone. While it runs just fine, it always reminds me its too big everytime I pick it up or put it in my pocket.

People who love the big 5.5 iPhone went for that size on purpose I'll bet. It also comes down to how you use your phone. I'm looking for a small pocketable phone to make calls, text, facetime, and email for the most part. I use my ipad for looking things up. Safari only gets used on my phone when I have no other choice. Same goes for Youtube or watching movies on it. Anyway..just my .02 cents.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I will be switching from a 6S Plus if the specs are good enough and the price isn't ridiculous (looking at you 5C), my girlfriend will be switching from a Samsung Galaxy S6 (she previously had the iPhone 5S).

I had the 6 last year and that wasn't too big compared to my 5S the year before, no idea what I was thinking with the 6S Plus this time lol.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
if the specs are good enough and the price isn't ridiculous
The same here, I don't care about force touch but live photos would be nice. 2GB of ram is also somethign I want, but since apple doesn't typically talk about that aspect, we'll only find that out after its released and it will be too late for me, as I'll probably order it.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
The same here, I don't care about force touch but live photos would be nice. 2GB of ram is also somethign I want, but since apple doesn't typically talk about that aspect, we'll only find that out after its released and it will be too late for me, as I'll probably order it.

Yeah we will probably be looking at like 2 weeks from the announcement to finally get a release and teardown to verify the RAM. It pretty much has to have 2GB IMO. I'm perfectly happy with 1 on my 6, and have never had issues, but by the time another 2 years of OS updates go by, 1 GB of RAM is going to be a less than ideal experience.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I was under the impression the SE would be released the Friday following the announcement.

Probably, and then probably another week (+ or -) before a teardown is published, I would guess. We won't see a published tear down the same day, I wouldn't think.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Hopefully somebody runs it through Geekbench 3 quickly after its realesed to verify the clock rate of the processor and to see if it has 2GB of ram.

Reactions: Ladybug and ABC5S

Hoobly

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2016
Why would you switch? Would you keep your current device just in case?

I recently bought the 5S at Walmart for $300 new. What a wonderful phone!
It's the Straight Talk model, which came unlocked so my non-Straight-Talk SIM worked no problem.
I'd only upgrade if the SE were dual-camera. Why else bother? I don't use Apple Pay.

Reactions: Goatllama
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.