'Constant Negativity' From Pro Users Led Apple to Develop Modular Mac Pro, Which May Not Ship Until 2019

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 6, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple executives this week made an unusual and surprising announcement, detailing the company's work on an entirely revamped high-end modular Mac Pro that's set to be released sometime after 2017.

No specific information on a potential release date was shared, but OSnews' Thom Holwerda has shared some tidbits heard from "people and sources who know their stuff," giving a little insight into just when we might see the revamped Mac Pro and why Apple decided to renew its focus on professional users.

Ahead of Apple's announcement, Holwerda says the Mac Pro was in limbo, and Apple wasn't sure what was going to happen to the machine.

Apparently, the negative response to the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, which many complained was not oriented towards pro users, was a major factor. Apple saw a surge of orders for older MacBook Pros instead of the new model, and that, combined with the reaction to the LG 5K display and the "constant negativity" from professional users, led Apple to "double down on professional users."

The decision to move ahead with a modular Mac Pro replacement was made "in recent months" with development starting "only a few weeks ago," suggesting it's going to be a long wait.

Given a rough estimate of the length of time it normally takes to develop a project, it could be late 2018 or even 2019 before we see the machine.
    Aside from the Mac Pro, Holwerda also believes Apple is working on additional MacBook Pro models sans Touch Bar, and developing other features aimed at professionals, such as pairing the iPad Pro with a Mac so that it can be used as a Cintiq-style drawing tablet.

Apple hasn't shared a lot of detail on the new Mac Pro, but the promised modular design will allow professional users to keep it up to date with new hardware on a regular basis. Apple executives have said the machine will also be able to handle virtual reality software and high-end cinema editing, pointing towards support for higher-end single GPUs, and Apple also plans to ship the machine with an Apple-branded professional display.

Article Link: 'Constant Negativity' From Pro Users Led Apple to Develop Modular Mac Pro, Which May Not Ship Until 2019

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not surprising from what we see in the MBP forum.

Its been in limbo for 3 years, so its good that Apple laid out a roadmap of what will happen.

Not sure why it took this long but its definitely welcome news

3. gugy macrumors 68030

Glad Apple is listening.
    As Pro user they for sure dropped the ball on the Mac for many years. I am still using my MacPro 2011 12 core tower and the machine still rocks. It is just 1 sec slower that the current MPs. Upgrading the internals is the key for the success. Soldering everything is a huge mistake.

4. jjjoseph macrumors 6502

5. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

Listening, maybe. 2 years to resolve it, after admitting it? Fail. Just offer both right now. Use an old physical architecture with a new set of guts. THIS YEAR.

6. Rossatron macrumors 6502a

It is courageous to call feedback from users "negativity"
    o_O

7. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

I think Apple might update the MacBook Pro sooner than later.

8. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

9. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

10. Keebler macrumors 68030

Great they are listening!

But am I the only one who finds it hard to believe that a company that big, with that much money and all their resources is going to take that long?

I'm not expecting anything next month, but end of year or early 2017 would be acceptable.

But late 2018 or even after that....seems silly.

Then again, these are rumours so who knows right :)

11. redheeler, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017

redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Better very, very late than never...

-----
    We all could have foreseen this, certainly you can't tell professionals to immediately jump to using exclusively USB-C and expect them to be happy. With past models there had pretty much always been a transition period when dropping even a single standard for a newer/better one (External SCSI → Firewire 400, Firewire 400 → 800, Firewire 800 → Thunderbolt), and never were 5 dropped at once.

The compromise on battery life and soldered-in SSD only made things worse, while the higher price made the discounted older models a better value as well.

12. jjjoseph macrumors 6502

Im gonna buy 3 or 4 right now, maybe Apple will setup a pre pre pre pre pre order.

13. 4jasontv macrumors 6502a

So we should be negative about the lack of updates and new hardware?

14. PoppaKap macrumors regular

Why would it take 2 more years to develop a desktop?

15. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Interesting read about the feedback on the new MacBook pros and people buying the previous model.

Whenever they ship the new Mac Pro , looking forward to it

16. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

You mean Apple didn't thought that professionals would notice that it is abandoning them?

17. Asarien, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017

Asarien macrumors regular

2019. Christ.

This essentially proves Ive and Co. haven't even been designing successors to the Mac Pro in the background, over the past four years.

18. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

modular nonpro desktop?

I know, I know pipedream

love my hackintosh in the meantime ;)

19. lyngo macrumors 6502

Here comes the whole "double down" terminology again.

20. Apple-Guy macrumors member

Is this real life? So many mac pro rumours, it's got to be heaven, right?

Good stuff :)

21. camnchar macrumors 6502

camnchar

What did Apple expect after ignoring their Pro hardware for years and years? Constant positivity?

22. lostczech macrumors member

Not surprised at all. We (the customer) aren't as "courageous" with buying a multiple thousand dollar machine that has no practicality.

23. macTW Suspended

Within the last 24 hours, the direction of Apple has changed... and I like it.

24. TMRJIJ, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017

TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

I'm going to be so pissed if they remove the Touch Bar. Way to ruin other people's workflows, MR members.
    EDIT: It was said in the Original Article that Apple was exploring additional MBPs without the Touch Bar. I misinterpreted the quote as being that future Macs would not include this hardware in response to few members that complained specifically about it. I apologize for the rash rebuttal.

25. jjjoseph macrumors 6502

THERE IS AN ICEBERG AHEAD CAPTAIN!! WHAT SHOULD I DO??

I DUNNO, WE HAVE UNTIL 2019 to figure it out...