Consumer Electronics Show Next Week

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacWorld.co.uk previews what we can expect at CES next week.

The International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) kicks off in Las Vegas on January 5 and this time it's all about high-definition, portable video, home networking and fun.
CES promises to offer several items of interest to Mac users this year. The ongoing Blu-ray vs HD-DVD battle will continue with more announcements on each side. Pioneer is expected to show off its first commercial Blu-ray drive for computers. Blu-ray is a next-generation high-definition DVD format which Apple has backed.

Intel is also expected to make announcements regarding both their new mobile-processor (Yonah) as well as their Viiv entertainment platform, both technologies which have been rumored and speculated to find their way into future Apple computers.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Cool!

Do you think Apple might release a Mac mini with DVR capabilities earlier than expected at CES instead of at MWSF?

Steve would reserve MWSF exclusively for the Intel laptop debut and iPod shuffles introductions.

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
TiVo will also have a booth at CES. Perhaps we'll see that cable-ready dual-tuner HDTV unit with full OS X compatibility. ::ducking:: :D

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
This might be exciting, but it's completely overshadowed by the fact that MWSF is only 5 days later.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Watch as the BR vs. HDVD pissing contests hit a crescendo. I almost expect to see kickboxing fights break out on the floor. Sony hires the Yakuza and HDDVD hires Fat Tony and his mob.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Lacero said:
Cool!

Do you think Apple might release a Mac mini with DVR capabilities earlier than expected at CES instead of at MWSF?
I don't remember Apple ever announcing anything for this show. They like to have Steve introduce it formally. Maybe this year will be different.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Talking about computer expos, I think there should be a big count-down timer to MacWorld SF at the top of the page. :D

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
Since Pioneer is to introduce the first Blu-ray drive for commercial use how long do you guys think until we will see them in our machines?

evomac

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2005
Charlotte
Blue Ray

An article on tomshardware suggested that the BD-drive with burning capabilities will be available for $500. Pioneer believes that enthusiats and digital media people will be the first adopters.:)

To me this suggests an quick availablility for the pro mac lines.
:D

I would love for apple to be the first comp company to offer the next gen standard.

I would pay! (if i had any money that is)

djlu

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2005
NY
The Pioneer BDR-101A drive is probably not going to be in any consumer machine as it does not even read CD's. I don't think most people would want to put a separate CD-RW drive in their machines. I think it is really made for video professionals who need to produce BDR check disks.

Doug

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
BornAgainMac said:
I don't remember Apple ever announcing anything for this show. They like to have Steve introduce it formally. Maybe this year will be different.
Does Apple even have a presence at CES? Unsure, but I'll bet there'll be plenty of iPods around the showroom floor from third party iPod vendors.

CES is so much bigger than MWSF, I think maybe Apple would enter in 2007 since they are headed towards the consumer space.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
alexstein said:
Since Pioneer is to introduce the first Blu-ray drive for commercial use how long do you guys think until we will see them in our machines?
seeing that the PowerMac is the only current Mac with a full sized optical drive, it could be a while.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Are the first HD-DVD units for computers out already? Or will BD beat them to market?

(And why would the first units NOT be able to read CDs? They've got the right color laser if they can read DVDs, right? How much cost could they have saved by making it impossible to play/rip music with these first drives?)

hscottm

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2005
To those wondering if/whether Apple would unveil something at CES.. Look back at the time around last year's CES and all the press releases, etc. Did any really rise to the top, or was it a landslide of announcements? Its always like a zillion things competing for 20 seconds on CNN's "Science and technology" blurb.

By waiting 5 days from the opening of CES, Apple can basically ensure they get the entire "Computer/Electronics" spotlight for the day's news (if not the whole week).

When events get that big, you have to wonder why companies bother introducing anything new there. Everyone has something cool to show off.

Why share the spotlight with 1000 other companies?

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
Lacero said:
Cool!

Steve would reserve MWSF exclusively for the Intel laptop debut and iPod shuffles introductions.

What about Blu-Ray Mac mini, the next digital hub. I used to dismiss optical drive technology as a has been, and the future of video delivery is through download. However, imagine high definition movies (20-30 GB in size) that take full advantage of plasma or LCD screen capability? This certainly provide compeling reason to continue this technology. Piracy and being able to better control distribution of their (Hollywood) work is what Apple has in mind.

Cinch

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
San Jose, CA
Perhaps 2006 will be a better year for HD, but still not *the* year. That will probably be 2007 or 2008. Let's get those PS3s (i.e. Blu-Ray DVD players) into store shelves quickly. There is also talk of Microsoft shipping a high-def DVD player with Xbox 360s next year, first in Japan to compete with PS3, then elsewhere.

Picture of a Pioneer Blu-Ray DVD drive from a computer expo in Taipei 4 weeks ago...almost ready to ship.

Attachments