Contact Search, iPhone Australia, 3G?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 9, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engadget has posted screenshots of the newest iPhone 2.0 Beta which was just released yesterday. One of the big features added to the latest beta is the ability to search contacts.

Meanwhile, MacTalk.com.au claims to have intercepted information sent to Australian resellers about the launch of the iPhone in Australia. According to their sources:

- iPhone Australia launch in last week of June release
    - More than 1 carrier
    - No contract lock in
    - Current resellers will be able to sell iPhones

If true, this would represent a significant departure from Apple's current model in the U.S. which locks customers to AT&T specifically.

Finally, there had been reports of 3G chipset references in the latest SDK, but there are some doubts as to its significance.

Article Link

2. jakealdred macrumors member

jakealdred

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

4. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Glad to see our weekly (almost daily) rumor which ends like this, "...3G?"

5. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

6. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Too bad I dont live in Australia, that sounds like a pretty good deal.

7. Axemantitan macrumors 6502

Is iPhone in Canada yet? The market is about the same size and the economy is at least as strong, if not stronger, so there is no reason not to market it there.

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Something is telling me that there will be some kind of "global release" of the iPhone 2.0 coming summer... except for a couple of disadvantaged countries.

Maybe this list will cover it... (eh.. the countries that will get the 3G iPhone 2 ofcourse... :D)

Attached Files:

9. Macsational macrumors newbie

Macsational

If the deals that have been happening in other parts of the world are offered in Australia, it will be a miracle.

I've lived in the US for a few years now & cost of mobile (cellphone) plans over here is a pittance to what you pay for anything in Australia.

For a start we go by minutes not airtime, and for example in a 50 dollar monthly plan you get about 50 free minutes included then pay about 20 cents for every minute of a call you make after that time. Incoming calls are free however.

If the iPhone and it's plan can change Australian mobile costs that would be great.

All this being said, I would still allow myself to get charged like a wounded bull for the ability to have an iPhone in Oz.

Cheers

10. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Whew! My contacts are getting over 200 now and search is MOST welcomed! :)

11. Surely Guest

Surely

Contact search: Why wasn't that included from the beginning? It's kind of sad that we get excited over features that should have been there from day 1. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone, and I'm not bashing Apple, but that's a simple feature we should already have.

And why no Bcc in the iPhone Mail app? How hard would that be to have included that basic feature to Mail?

12. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

As the Beatles would say "It's getting better all the time!"

13. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Hope this all proves to be true... I'd love to be able to search contacts, plus I'm seriously thinking about moving to Australia (from the US) for a year starting this summer and would love to be able to have an iPhone still (though I might end up buying a new 3G model at that point).

14. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Were excited that apple has finally added it. Yes, it should have been here from the start, no it hasn't. We have lived without it for [by then] a year, and now that we know its coming, were excited cuz it will make things a lot easier for many people.

15. kwfl macrumors 6502

i wonder why the "contact search" feature is worth a thread in a big forum.
    is that how apple doing it. drop by drop ... and they even say it is a big change.
    seriously .. lack or real phone features making me sell my iphone till they get them in. i dont care. i love my macs and there is no need for the iphone while i get a real phone in my hands.

16. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

So if it not tied to a specific carrier in Austrila does that means its essentially unlocked? Also if Apple isn't happy with AT&T in theory couldn't they sell unlocked iPhones overseas for customers to reimport?

17. detnyre macrumors newbie

I Hate AT&T

I hate AT&T - they are an evil company..... They sell the iPhone but do not allow their own employees to connect to internal AT&T email using one - not supported by their help desk.....

I'm making due with my iPod Touch (32gig) until I can get an iPhone from anyone except AT&T....

I currently get my internet from a Sprint EVDO card - is 3G the same speed as EVDO?

Derek

18. tarrheels3 macrumors newbie

in iphone software 2.0, which i am an enterprise beta tester of, there is BCC in the mail app

19. g-7 macrumors 6502

g-7

But where's Poland? :mad:

I mean, everybody here has those jailbroken and unlocked iPhones already,
    but what about an official way to get it? ;)

20. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Totally agree. I'm a sucker for all things Apple. But I stop drinking the coolaid when I'm asked to believe a search feature and cut-and-paste take Apple - APPLE! - this long to develop and implement.

21. 50548 Guest

You forgot to include the powerhouse called Brazil, a target recently revived by Apple...

Slightly off-topic, but...am I the only one bored with so many successive iPhone-related rumors? Where are the new iMacs? ;)

22. bexster macrumors newbie

i dont have an iphone yet, I am (not so patiently) waiting for the 2nd generation...

quick question... is that bluetooth symbol usually there? if not, does that suggest better bluetooth functionality will be added?

23. Surely Guest

Surely

Your signature quote (Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower. -Steve Jobs) is contradictory to what Apple is doing with this feature. Introducing a contact search feature, as you said yourself, a year after introducing the iPhone, is not innovation.

It shouldn't be excitement. It should be more like: "It's about time. What took so long?"

24. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

well its really about time we got noticed!!

more than one carrier?? woop woop that means i can probably use optus!! none of this telstra crap
    no contract lock in? even better i wont need to void warranty!
    current resellers can sell them?? hhmmm bit of a downer, they will jack up prices heeps.

i cant wait!

25. sjw macrumors regular

Oh my gosh... I don't know how much more of this I can take! Day after day of rumors - I just want it released already!!! Argh somebody put me out of my misery :(