Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pete99

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
This is business not a free give-a-way in which AT&T/O2 willfully lose money. Everyone signed a contract and they can hold you to that.

jonpaul1984

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Tired of being screwed

I love apple but they really need to get it together especially with this phone thing. I bought the first gen and left my great verizon service for the terrible att service, I upgraded to the 3g even though the features really didnt warrant an upgrade because I love apple and now they add things and services that they knowwwwwwwww should have been avaible at least on the 3g and apple and att have the nerve to say I not only have to pay more bu extend my cotract. Not to mention I got screwed on the whole firewire macbook deal. I keep follwing apple but boy a little consideration/respect would be nice
:(

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
Why!? You probably got a cheaper phone since ATT PAID FOR PART OF IT FOR YOU. They SUBSIDIZED your purchase and you agreed to stay with them for a given period. When that period of time os over you can do what you want and get another SUBSIDIZED iPHONE.
Go buy a tricycle!

NightCastle

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
Honestly, what planet have these whiners been on? Don't they know that the $299 is a deposit on the device, and then it is paid for over the term of the contract. How about I lease a car for 3 years today and get an "upgrade" in 12 months with no penalty (and I get to keep the old car)?

Based on this logic, I should not be charged $699 then. I should be charged $299 since I paid $499 for my 16GB iPhone 3G. But, somehow I am being charged $699 for the 32GB.

There is a flaw in your logic.

Thataboy

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2004
New York, NY
People are going to complain about this every year. This is how I see the next couple years, just so you can plan accordingly :)

In June 2010, Apple will probably release a newish design with a big feature add like a front facing camera or HD/OLED screen. They will give it a name like iPhone AV or iPhone HD.

In June 2011, Apple will put out its first LTE/4G phone -- a huge feature add, but otherwise no big design shift. iPhone AV-S or iPhone HD-S.

So as a 3G owner, do I do my expected normal upgrade in 2010? Because I would surely want to upgrade to the LTE in 2011. That is, of course, assuming AT&T (and/or Verizon by then) is on track to get it LTE deployed by then. My plan is upgrade June 2010 for a full discount, and then just save up for an "early upgrade" in June 2011 if an LTE phone is released.

Musethalia

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2007
I will not be getting iPhone

partially because of Apple, and partially because of AT&T.

Requires new two-year AT&T wireless service contract, sold separately to qualified customers; credit check required; must be 18 or older. For non-qualified customers, including existing AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone or replace an iPhone 3G, the price with a new two-year agreement is $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB). Visit http://www.wireless.att.com for eligibility information. Service may not be available in all areas or at the signal strength, rates, speeds, or bandwidth as demonstrated. Wi-Fi Internet access required for some features; broadband recommended; fees may apply. Some applications, features, and services are not available in all areas. Visit http://www.wireless.att.com to check AT&T network coverage in your area. iPhone is configured to work only with wireless service provided by AT&T. Warranty information available at http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/iphone. When available, transferring your mobile number to a different service provider will terminate your service with your existing provider; termination fees and other charges may apply. Some features may require added fees. Contact your service provider for more details. Use constitutes acceptance of Apple’s software license agreement and third-party terms located in the iPhone box. Unauthorized modification of your iPhone software violates the software license agreement. Inability to use an iPhone due to unauthorized modifications is not covered under your warranty. In CA, MA, and RI, sales tax is collected on the unbundled price of iPhone. Corporate Responsibility Users (CRUs) and new Individual Responsibility Users (IRUs) who wish to purchase or upgrade to iPhone 3G S should contact AT&T directly. iPhone is only for use on AT&T’s network.
Pre-authorization does not guarantee iPhone availability at an Apple Retail Store. iPhone is sold on a first-come, first-served basis.

taxiapple

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Sounds like there will so be a lot of used 3G phones for sale soon.

I've a 1st generation phone with the cheaper per month plan that was originally offered.
Can I buy a used 3G, put my sim card in it and still pay the lower per month price?

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
I have to call bull **** on these subsidized unsubsidized pricing.

I mean c'mon $799 for a phone?

I mean dude the parts inside don't cost more than a PSP or DSi.

They could sell them allot cheaper without a contract.

$799 is just laughable. I could get a high end PC laptop for that.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I love apple but they really need to get it together especially with this phone thing. I bought the first gen and left my great verizon service for the terrible att service, I upgraded to the 3g even though the features really didnt warrant an upgrade because I love apple and now they add things and services that they knowwwwwwwww should have been avaible at least on the 3g and apple and att have the nerve to say I not only have to pay more bu extend my cotract. Not to mention I got screwed on the whole firewire macbook deal. I keep follwing apple but boy a little consideration/respect would be nice

This is AT&T, not Apple. Apple does fight for users to get more--it makes Apple's products more attractive after all--but in the end, AT&T holds a lot of power. Apple can't sell a phone without a carrier, and AT&T is bringing Apple a lot of money.

On matters here AT&T is acting wrongly, the best Apple and we can do may be to keep pressure on AT&T--which I hope is going on behind the scenes.

But this isn't one of those matters anyway--you haven't paid for your old phone yet. Also: never buy something that has features you don't want just out of love for the company. Save your money :)

I've been there from the beginning. I want. But o2 is just a...

Now I want a doughnut! Is that wrong? :p

eh270

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
I don't know what's the big deal anyways. If you really want the "3GS" so bad, just sell the "3G" and you won't have to put so much of a difference for the new one. I sold mine for 300, and i'm just gonna need 150 (including taxes/fees) and that's it.

No big deal.

My thoughts exactly! The 3G still fetches a pretty penny on Craigslist, most people forget that the $99 price is with a contract! $250-300 cash will get you most of the way towards your upgrade.

Journojulz

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
I bought my 3g on pay and go, no subsidy.

After the first year I pay £10 a month for the wifi.

Annoyingly tho, I can't use tethering cos I am pay and go.

But would I pay £25? A month for both?

Probably not.

Will wait for 4g I reckon. 2 years out of a phone is enough for me.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
if i am reading you right.....what happens after July 11?...you wont get the early upgrade pricing? or you will. and then july 11 2010 you will get the regular subsidized price.
Sorry, I meant I can only get the early upgrade pricing ON OR AFTER July 11, not UNTIL July 11.

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008

Wait so you are blaming Apple for how terrible At&t is? Looks like they made the right phone...At&t said, oh you can wait a couple months until we support MMS. Or how about tethering, hows that goin for them?

You can't blame Apple for updating their products. The whole MB deal, well something newer, better, and cheaper came out...that's life in retail especially in electronics. Same thing happened to me with my iPod. You would think people are glad apple actually surprised people at a keynote, but no, they were pissed they didn't know beforehand. But honestly why the heck would you buy anything from Apple (unless you absolutely need it) the weeks before one of their keynotes? That's just bad research on the consumer end.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
Everyone is completely missing out on the point we are trying to make....

Some people are eligible to upgrade a full year early... WHY? And others like myself are just a little short of a full year. Why is AT&T granting some and not other iPhone 3G owners... That is what doesn't make sense.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
AT&T and Apple will fail with this new iPhone and not just because of the lack of discounts for iPhone 3G users. But also because of the lack of MMS.

And it won't bother me one bit.

I think you will be proven wrong. Given the fact that the upgrade system was down a lot due to demand, the sales will be strong. Apple came out with a new device, thats enough reason for many people to buy the new phone. MMS is being added, so thats really a moot point.

Deniolan

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Ohio
Yup... completely random fees - nice.

Well - I fully expected that my iPhone 3G would be upgraded at a price over the $199/299 that was announced - just didnt expect to see how much over. I understand the subsidized pricing argument - but check out this chain of events:

• Shortly after original iPhone launch, bought a full-price iPhone. This had a two year contract, but was $599 I believe at the time, and the pricing was not subsidized. I have been an AT&T Customer since the Cingular / Cellular one days.
  • Shortly after 3G launch, upgraded to a 16GB White iPhone for $299. Price is subsidized, of course. 2 year contract renewal.
  • Within 10 days, my white 16GB phone was stolen. Went back to the store and purchased a 16GB black iPhone 3G at FULL PRICE (ouch - but expected). This was 8/7/07.

According to everyone I spoke with when purchasing the replacement 3G phone, since it was FULL price, my original contract (7/26/08 I believe) was in effect, and the new phone wouldn't change a thing.

Enter yesterday - iPhone 3GS announced. Being an iPhone developer I fully expected to pay for the phone and upgrade. I was expecting the "early termination" $399/499 rate as I understand my contract is not up. Additionally, a couple of friends who upgraded from 1G to 3G on the same day that I did were being quoted that rate. We all have the basic plan, all have the same features and same bill, living in the same city.

What do I see? Guess what - I'm not eligible for upgrade until 1/8/2010 - and my price, today, would be $599 for the 16GB and $699 for the 32GB. Called AT&T - apparently the person who sold me the phone for FULL price back on 8/7/07 actually renewed my 2-year agreement signed on 7/26/07 - knowing full well I was buying a replacement iPhone at full price, which shouldn't be affecting the contract terms.

So now, I am also assuming the fact that I bought 2 3G phones given that I lost one is also screwing up the upgrade path. Everything else with my account is identical to two other friends who followed the same exact path - yet my price is $200 higher???

*THIS* is the problem that people are complaining about. I am half tempted to suck it up and pay the full retail price on the new phone now, but guess what - I bet that despite it being the FULL RETAIL NO CONTRACT price, they'll renew my contract - meaning that I'll be f**ked on the next upgrade as well.

What the hell?

Deniolan.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Complicated situation - 18 months.

I bought an iPhone on launch day - 2007. A month later, I added a line to become a family plan, using a no-contract-requirement (aka: used) phone for my wife.

I upgraded to a 3G about a week after it launched, and passed my iPhone down to my wife, replacing her non-contract phone. A couple weeks later, we bought a friend's old iPhone (he upgraded to a 3G,) for my kid, adding a new line.

My wife lost her phone in December '08, so when AT&T was doing the $99 special refurb clearance on 3Gs in late December, we upgraded her. (After lots of back and forth; they didn't want to give us the 'upgrade' price; but wanted to charge an extra $200, but we finally got it for $99.)

So now we have two iPhone 3G's, one contract signed in August '08, one in December '08; plus an original iPhone, contract signed in September '08.

If I run our three lines through the 'pre-order a 3GS' page, it wants to charge my wife and I the more expensive $399/$499; but my kid's line qualifies for the cheaper $199/$299 rate. (Or $99 for a 'plain' 3G.) It says that my line will qualify for the cheaper rate in March '10, and my wife's line in August '10. So for the original iPhone, we qualify now. For the 3G, it's going to make us wait 18 months each.

I wonder if they'll let me 'upgrade' my kid's phone, then swap lines, so that I get the 3GS, and the kid gets my 'old' 3G? (Now a teenager, having GPS would be nice. The WiFi/Cell triangulation of the old iPhone just doesn't provide enough accuracy to be a proper electronic leash. :D)

jriehm737

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
bottom line , ATT let us upgrade at the discounted price last year, so they should do it again

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
It is simple: no current iPhone 3G customer (other than those who spent hefty amounts on PAYG pricing) are eligible for a new iPhone 3G S.

Luckily, I bought mine on launch day last year and so have only 5.5 months to wait!

Tonezorz

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2007
I purchased an iPhone 3g in November of 08, so I'm not even at the 1 year mark yet.

However, I qualify for the $399 for 16gb and $499 for 32gb prices.

THIS MIGHT BE DUE TO ON MY PLAN RIGHT NOW I'M NOT USING MY IPHONE

I got it wet a few weeks ago and had to change out to a backup phone. Apple wouldn't fix my iPhone, so I figured I'd wait till they announced the new one and buy into it.

Can someone with the $599/$699 pricing swap their sim into another phone and see if it brings the price down?

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
The only pother option is for ATT or any other carrier to NEVER subsidize iPhones. Then you pay Apples price of over $400. each and every time. When you first buy one, and again when you lose one and on and on.

ATT is fronting you several hundred dollars and in turn you make a commitment to stay with them for 18 months or more. What is not to understand?

When I lease a car I cant get a newer model the next year without some very high buyout!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I have to call bull **** on these subsidized unsubsidized pricing.

I mean c'mon $799 for a phone?

I mean dude the parts inside don't cost more than a PSP or DSi.

They could sell them allot cheaper without a contract.

$799 is just laughable. I could get a high end PC laptop for that.

Look at what other smartphones cost unsubsidized. Some have been over $1000 not long ago at all! MANY are over $500 and have less storage and far less functionality.

Being small doesn't make something cheap to make. It can even make it more expensive.

And parts (which ARE more advanced than a PSP or DS--or a plain phone) don't equal the cost. There's also assembly, marketing (including store rental), software, customer support, the huge R&D budget, and all the salaries, insurance, power, etc. that go into the above. Buying a bag of raw parts does not get you an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.