Control center security concern

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Gav2k, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The ability to put an iOS device into airplane mode is great but you can do this around the pin lock. I have reported this but what do you guys think. Should it promt for the pin?

2. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

I choose not to have Control Center enabled on the lockscreen.

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

if you are so nervous about it, shut off its access from the lock screen. personally, i dont see the need to access it from the lock screen. ive been fine without it in ios6, no need for that immediate kinda access when locked in ios 7.

4. Gav2k thread starter macrumors G3

Gav2k

I'm not nervous about it. My point is you can't switch the controls out but being able to throw a stolen device into airplane mode is a bit of a silly move on apples part.

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

you can turn off the control center from being active from the lock screen. this will prevent the issue. some people dont passcode lock their phones either. same thing, no passcode....just turn on airplane mode. its the end users responsibility to use their head and best judgement. if someone gets their car stolen because they left their keys in it unattended, shame on them. if someone leaves their phone unprotected, again, shame.\

passcode for airplane mode would be a good thing for extra security, but its easily avoided by disabling its access from the lockscreen anyways. its redundant in a way.

6. Gav2k thread starter macrumors G3

Gav2k

I really think your missing my point! I personally do not want to switch the feature off because access to timers and calculator have made my life easier for work. But you cannot customise the panel so an unsuspecting user has this on by default could potentionally lose the ability to track a stolen device due to what I would call a security flaw

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Meh
    If someone knew of control center and airplane mode to prevent tracking...

They'd also know to just turn off

8. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

no, i understood your point perfectly. im just saying, sure it would be nice to passcode protect your airplane mode, but its not gonna happen. as i stated, turn control center off from lock screen, take the two seconds to put your passcode in and then use control center. one simple step avoids this whole ordeal. since this step practically mimics your idea, apple wont do it.

9. Gav2k thread starter macrumors G3

Gav2k

Control center needs to be customisable. Personally being able to access certain features without putting in a passcode is a big plus for me. I'll submit another bug report as this should be looked at

10. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

It's not a bug.

11. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

yea, submitting a bug report for a suggestion isnt really going to get you anywhere. and like i said, they would tell you just to do the same thing i told you to do. i bet their chances of listening to your suggestion wont work, since an easy fix is again, just turn off CC from the lockscreen.

12. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I don't get it, why care if someone turns on airplane mode? If you have activation lock on the phone becomes useless

13. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Because airplane mode disables all radio communication. Hence, find my iphone does not work. Only option if that feature is not accessible is to turn off the phone.

At least that's my understanding.

14. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

So why not just disable control center from the lockscreen???

15. Gav2k thread starter macrumors G3

Gav2k

Because access to timers and calculator etc are handy to have.

16. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Well here are 3 options
    1) Go back to iOS 6
    2) Disable control center
    3) Suck it up

17. HarryAinslie macrumors regular

HarryAinslie

I agree that it should be customisable, Apple want to make things simpler for users, so IMO users should be able to put whatever they want in CC that will make their use of their iDevice simpler to use!

I would have thought, Activation lock would only work if the phone has an internet connection otherwise how would it receive the info to activate the activation lock! Therefore if the phone has been switched to Airplane mode, this action cannot be performed!

I don't think you get the point, 15 different options in CC, there is 1 the OP doesn't want. Therefore switching it off removes 14 options which he may want to use!

I would have though the iDevice thieves that are big in the game would rather stick it in airplane mode then shoving it into reset mode, rather than switching the device off, for the simple reason if the owner hits Activation lock whilst the idevice is switched off, then when the phone is switched back on it will then get a signal which will push the activation lock through to the device.

18. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

People are forgetting that the music controls have been moved into Control Center (from double tapping the home button), so you can't just get back to how things were in iOS 6.0 by disabling it.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about when something isn't currently playing.

19. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

While a device could be stolen and then put into airplane mode or even turned off, if the person wants to use it effectively they would need to wipe it and activate it under another user id which is something they won't be able to do once IOS 7 goes live. The device can only be activated by it's original user id unless that person had already manually removed the association with their user id e.g. prior to selling.
    They could continue to use the phone using the legitimate owner's id but they would make it relatively easy to track down.

20. liamry macrumors member

I pointed this out in the first beta, you're quite late with this, I just have it turned off.

21. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I kind of understand what the OP is saying. Being able to customise the control center would certainly fix this.

It's not a bug, it's by design. You would need to suggest this feature to Apple.

22. Smith288 macrumors 6502a

Smith288

You can also turn airplane mode on using Siri when the phone is locked.

23. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

So adding more options and settings to Control Center would make it simpler for users?

24. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

They're talking about making iOS simpler to use, not Control Center.

25. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

I still don't know why you don't have to enter your password to turn the phone off. If the device was stolen the thief can't turn the phone off and it would be able to be tracked. Such a simple way to deter theft.