Convert iphone 4 to white

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thisisarcadia, Jan 3, 2011.

1. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

Has anyone done this? If so what are your reactions, thoughts, likes, dislikes, about your now white iphone 4. I have found a website iphone4whitekit.com that will convert your phone for free once you buy the parts (which are OEM).

please let me know your thoughts

2. Lukey Baby macrumors newbie

I bought a kit from them which should arrive tomorrow, i will give a short review on the parts when i get them

3. CZK macrumors 6502a

Not worth 200$$ in my opinion considering that you are also voiding your warranty

4. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

i agree, $200 to just Void your Warranty just buy a case for $40

But from the people i know who have done this said it was really good and Leanna Lofte from TIPB had said she believed it had been worth it

5. Lukey Baby macrumors newbie

they are giving to me cheaper as i am doing a review on it, but you get to keep your black parts with this conversion which you could probably sell for a similar price

6. CZK macrumors 6502a

Nobody will pay 200$ for black parts. Never.

7. Wierac21 macrumors newbie

I did this but I went through iFixYouri. I am very happy with end result and believe it was worth every penny because I have wanted a white iPhone 4 since I saw it announced.

It's just not everybody's cup of tea sure, but if you are like me who was willing to pay the price for the fit and finish you want, then do it. It's only money:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Lukey Baby macrumors newbie

That looks like a nice conversion, how long ago did you have it done? have you had any issues with the phone since the conversion?

9. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

You dont actually void your warranty, the entirety of the warranty sticker inside is a little circle that covers a screw, very easy to remove and put back on. Just hold on to your black parts and if something comes up switch em back and make sure to put that little circle back on there. How do i know? I've done a warranty replacement with my iphone 4 which i converted to white doing exactly what i just said :D

10. Wierac21 macrumors newbie

I had it done about three weeks ago and I have had no problems with it whatsoever. I have also had no issues with the phone either. It has been great and I finally got my white iPhone 4. It does however have the "light bleed" on the sides, but it is only noticeable when in a very dark area. The home button too is a bit off colored but even with these flaws I dont care, because 99% of the time I will never notice either of them.

Like I said, if you have the $ and want a white iPhone 4, do it. You won't regret it. If the new iPhone 4S (or 5) comes in white, then I will be putting this one up for sale, and I can imagine that it will bring quite a few more bucks than a standard black 32gb iPhone 4;)

11. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Really:eek: i never knew that, that changes my whole view on these kits...if you can keep your warranty and really want a white iPhone 4 why not buy one of these

12. CZK macrumors 6502a

Not really moral.

I still prefer to not waste 200$ and have to fraud apple.

13. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

this is what most people miss.

anyone who is clued up about the iphone and its internals knows its possible to not void the warranty.

ive learnt my lesson though, unless you have white parts which are equal in quality to the black parts i wouldnt do it.

i will just get a white iphone 5 (if they release one)

14. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

There is a reason why apple stopped selling the white iphone there were problems with the glass. So now everyone is running out and buying the defective cases that apple did not want to sell because of problem and most people are switching over to the white iphone and putting a case on it anyway covering it. i belive its a great way to wast about $200 and void your phone out.

15. Lukey Baby macrumors newbie

There was nothing wrong with the glass itself, the problem was with the home button not being the same white as the glass. Then they found a problem with the camera. And anyway people arent buying the parts that apple didnt use, they are not available unless you have a contact with foxconn, these are parts made by different factories. copies basically

16. Lukey Baby macrumors newbie

Ok so i have been looking for an answer to this question but i cant find it anywhere. Are the white parts made of the same type of glass as the black parts? is the glass as strong? or will they break with a small drop

17. aluren macrumors 65816

$200 is nothing if you really want the white iPhone. I've been wanting to try and convert my gf's iPhone 4 to white and saw some of the youtube videos on it but I'm afraid I'll screw it up.

18. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

It’s actually not as bad as you might think. Here are a few tips-
    Take your time, plan on a couple hours depending on how savvy you are with a set of tools. Have a very organized workspace. Play some soothing music during the process, I suggest Jazz. One thing that helped me a ton was to print out the teardown instructions from iFix. After I removed a screw I used scotch tape to secure the screw to the page for each step. That way there was no confusion which screw went where on a step. It was actually a rewarding process.

I would say no but there really is no way to know for sure. There are some pictures over in another thread of a guy who broke both his and his GF's white phones. Its a glass phone. If you drop it (Black or White) be prepared for the possibility it will break.

19. TonyJack macrumors newbie

I make it a point to never do anything to compromise the warranty. It's just not worth it. And if you wanted the white iPhone 4, why did you buy the black one? Wait for the white one to come out.

20. karleaglemac macrumors regular

karleaglemac

Ummmm... because the white one is never going to come out.

21. Lukey Baby macrumors newbie

was that a no they arent the same glass? could you link me to that thread? on the website i got them from is says the glass is the same, but i dont think they are. I am just worried that if i apply a bit of pressure on the screen or it hits something while in my pocket that it will break really easily :confused: It would be good if someone did a similar video of what apple did showing the front glass bending quite a bit. So this is a plea to anyone who would like to try this in the name of science :p

22. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

The front of my phone shattered near the home button so I'm sort of looking for a replacement front. Seeing how a black front normally goes for $150 the kit for $170 for front and back isn't too bad.

23. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

But a warranty that is voided because you change the case color is moral?

24. thisisarcadia thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the site I bought the parts from claim that they are selling OEM parts. They even take pictures of the apple stamps where they are on the black parts. So I believe that they are selling OEM parts. I sent off my phone and will have it back on monday or tuesday. If i don't believe that they are OEM parts i can get a full refund. So we shall see.

25. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1044644&page=22

Last page of that thread.

Ive dropped mine, banged it around, and treated it like it was when it was black and no issues.

I would say either glass can break under the right circumstances.