Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lukey Baby

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2011
Well the site I bought the parts from claim that they are selling OEM parts. They even take pictures of the apple stamps where they are on the black parts. So I believe that they are selling OEM parts. I sent off my phone and will have it back on monday or tuesday. If i don't believe that they are OEM parts i can get a full refund. So we shall see.

Which site did you get your parts from?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1044644/

Last page of that thread.

Ive dropped mine, banged it around, and treated it like it was when it was black and no issues.

I would say either glass can break under the right circumstances.

I suppose your right, as long as the white parts can withstand everyday usage and slight knocks i'm happy.:)

MallCop

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2011
I had mine done via an ebay listing. The seller completed my phone and shipped it back the same day. The phone looks great and I have had zero issues. I've had the phone for a little over 2 months and it looks good as new. The seller is charging $275 but I best offered for $225 and they accepted. If anyone wants the link let me know. I can post pictures of my phone too if anyone is interested.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
Which site did you get your parts from?
QUOTE]

Well I actually got my parts from the site in that forum, ifixdirect.com

It was a bit of a roller coaster, but I got in before the mess happen. Still the first front plate I got was bad and wouldnt work with my Prox sensor.

They claim to be under new management but who knows. If I had to, I'd order from them now. Pay with a credit card via paypal so you can dispute it the need arises.

I'm rocking my white phone with the orange bumper today. Getting lots of attention with that combo.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Well the site I bought the parts from claim that they are selling OEM parts. They even take pictures of the apple stamps where they are on the black parts. So I believe that they are selling OEM parts. I sent off my phone and will have it back on monday or tuesday. If i don't believe that they are OEM parts i can get a full refund. So we shall see.

So could I send off my iPhone, have it swapped out and turned white, say I don't believe them, and cause everything to be free? :D

MallCop

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2011
Here are some pictures of mine:

Attachments

• DSC00333.jpg
    DSC00333.jpg
    1,012.8 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC00334.jpg
    DSC00334.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 94

MallCop

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2011
is it my eyes or anyone else see no grill on the earphone speakers ?
its suppose to have the speaker grills.. dont they come with it on? or you have to re-use it from the original black parts ?

I never really noticed that but I looked and there isnt a grill but its not really noticeable.

bdeitemeyer

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
Thanks for the review, I emailed them a week ago and haven't received the slightest hint of a response from them...doesn't seem like the greatest customer service.

thisisarcadia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
New Orleans, LA
Read

Thanks for the review, I emailed them a week ago and haven't received the slightest hint of a response from them...doesn't seem like the greatest customer service.

that is very strange because they are very fast to respond to my emails and I probably emailed them about 15 times. I usually got a response in about 20 minutes or less. I even emailed them after I watched that guys review and they emailed me back. The owner also gave me his number and I called him and we talked about the conversion and some of my concerns, so I am sorry to hear that you haven't had good contact with them. Here are a few questions I emailed to them. I am receiving my phone in the mail tomorrow so I am hoping all the reviews i've read have been wrong. I will let you know in a few days after i've had time to test the phone out.

me: I just have a few quick questions. If I buy the complete kit and then request a free conversion will I still receive the tools I need to open the phone again and will I get my black parts back? If not how can I get the parts back? Thanks

them: We ALWAYS send back the black parts , even if you cracked your screen before - We have no use for the parts.

And if you need us to send you the kit we will supply the screws. If we do the repair, you wont need the screw tools but we can send you them , no problem.

Scott

_______

me: I have one more question. Where if any are the seals inside the iphone. Say for instance something happens to my phone and I need to take it to an apple store would it be possible to do a DIY conversion back to black and take it back to the apple store to get a replacement without them noticing it was modified at one point?

them: Of course, we are not messing any of the markers, just take your phone after being reversed to black and you can take it to the store and it will not void your warranty - if you do the repair incorrectly and damage something, they won't know as long as the markers are not ripped.

_______

me: Great that's good to know. Now my iPhone has the torx screws instead of phillips screws. Will that matter?

them: Yes - if you are planning on performing the repair yourself, Apple has made the torx screw style iPhone 4's have a sensitive proximity sensor that won't work on the white . As a service we change back you proximity sensor to the old version so it reads the white better (unnoticed to Apple since its too small of a part for the genius bar to see)

For a phone like yours our technicians can do the repairs properly and you dont have the liability of messing up the installation .

________

me: Hi I am planning on buying the complete kit today. I want to request a free install. How can I go about doing that? Also I will be shipping my phone out in the original box. WIll you guys ship back the parts in the original box? Thanks

Them: Yes of course, we never take customers parts away. Also the box will match your serial number so we are not switching or misplacing them with other orders that were shipped in to us.

_________

me: How does the camera preform with the white backing? I head that when you take a picture and use the flash it distorts the picture. Is this true?

them: No, we have not heard any problems with the flash and the camera with the white backings, the camera works fine.

_________

me: Hi I have stumbled upon a few reviews about the parts that you guys sell being cheaply made and not high quality OEM parts that you guys claim to sell. They say that only after a few days use the parts start to break or stop working. Could this be because they did the conversion themselves? I am a little concerned about this and was wondering if this is true! thanks

them: Well you should be getting the phone tomorrow so you can see for yourself weve had many customers who are satisified with our conversions and we have used them on our phones and they've worked for months, maybe they mishandled the phones or dropped them, if you drop the phone it will crack just like the regular black iphone, hope this clears things up and let us know how you like the phone when you get it

martynov

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2011
I'm also looking into getting a conversion done in white but after browsing this thread i noticed that ifixdirect is offering the red and blue which seems kind of interesting. I wonder if the quality is all the same?? Does anybody know if the new management is real or is just one of those "get out of jail free" cards? These guys are local to me sine im in NY which is a comfort feature.

Asides from that my second option is the iphone4whitekit but then there is that review and lack of feedback that's making me worried. Any advice??

thisisarcadia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
New Orleans, LA
Read

Just received my phone in this morning and the phone looked great. But then I noticed some things. There is a red line that goes across the left side of the phone and a blue line on the right. They are both on the very edge of the phone and hardly noticeable until you switch to a dark color on your screen. This is a huge concern to me and I have emailed the guy. Also there is a small chip of glass on the camera lens and it looks as if the glass is a little rough around some of the edges of the phone also. The glass on the front isn't flush with the casing as the black iPhone4 is. I am testing the rest of the phone to see if there is anything else. They have been very good at emailing me back so I hope that they email me back as soon as possible.

Also here is another email I received about my concerns with the quality by Scott, who I think is the owner.

Me: Hi I have stumbled upon a few reviews about the parts that you guys sell being cheaply made and not high quality OEM parts that you guys claim to sell. They say that only after a few days use the parts start to break or stop working. Could this be because they did the conversion themselves? I am a little concerned about this and was wondering if this is true! thanks

Them: The two people who did reviews o us - one of them kept the parts and just used it to sell the same parts for $250. He bought 20 pieces from us and after we saw that review we stopped letting him order. THe other guy gumballtech tried to take his phoe apart, messed up badly, broke a few things, then told us to fix it for free , then we sent it back and then he dropped it and it broke and he said the back glass in black would not have broken if dropped.

We see 100's of phones a week that break (in black) and they break badly off a tiny drop. Its what kind of drop that matters, not how far it fell from.

Our parts are good, otherwise you would see 100's more reviews that are bad. Look for the good reviews and such, those are the people that WE repaired properly and they are happy customers.

Hope this helps

martynov

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2011
Just received my phone in this morning and the phone looked great. But then I noticed some things. There is a red line that goes across the left side of the phone and a blue line on the right. They are both on the very edge of the phone and hardly noticeable until you switch to a dark color on your screen. This is a huge concern to me and I have emailed the guy. Also there is a small chip of glass on the camera lens and it looks as if the glass is a little rough around some of the edges of the phone also. The glass on the front isn't flush with the casing as the black iPhone4 is. I am testing the rest of the phone to see if there is anything else. They have been very good at emailing me back so I hope that they email me back as soon as possible.

Also here is another email I received about my concerns with the quality by Scott, who I think is the owner.

Me: Hi I have stumbled upon a few reviews about the parts that you guys sell being cheaply made and not high quality OEM parts that you guys claim to sell. They say that only after a few days use the parts start to break or stop working. Could this be because they did the conversion themselves? I am a little concerned about this and was wondering if this is true! thanks

Them: The two people who did reviews o us - one of them kept the parts and just used it to sell the same parts for $250. He bought 20 pieces from us and after we saw that review we stopped letting him order. THe other guy gumballtech tried to take his phoe apart, messed up badly, broke a few things, then told us to fix it for free , then we sent it back and then he dropped it and it broke and he said the back glass in black would not have broken if dropped.

We see 100's of phones a week that break (in black) and they break badly off a tiny drop. Its what kind of drop that matters, not how far it fell from.

Our parts are good, otherwise you would see 100's more reviews that are bad. Look for the good reviews and such, those are the people that WE repaired properly and they are happy customers.

Hope this helps
Wow that sounds like you got some terrible parts, was this from ifixdirect or another company??

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I did this but I went through iFixYouri. I am very happy with end result and believe it was worth every penny because I have wanted a white iPhone 4 since I saw it announced.

It's just not everybody's cup of tea sure, but if you are like me who was willing to pay the price for the fit and finish you want, then do it. It's only money:rolleyes:

57e9c63f.jpg

d2ef6c24.jpg

However it looks really nice and clean and it is a neat look for the iP4

Only Downside is what happens if you have to bring it to Apple for Repair, Do you have the original back and front plates to swap out, as they may not warranty it if you bring them yours in White.

HynnaD

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
I did this but I went through iFixYouri. I am very happy with end result and believe it was worth every penny because I have wanted a white iPhone 4 since I saw it announced.

It's just not everybody's cup of tea sure, but if you are like me who was willing to pay the price for the fit and finish you want, then do it. It's only money:rolleyes:

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz285/wierac21/57e9c63f.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz285/wierac21/d2ef6c24.jpg[MG][/QUOTE]
Where did you get that case from mate?

Mabyboi

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2010
Ontario, Canada
However it looks really nice and clean and it is a neat look for the iP4

Only Downside is what happens if you have to bring it to Apple for Repair, Do you have the original back and front plates to swap out, as they may not warranty it if you bring them yours in White.

I took mine into the apple store and all of the apple associates flocked to me to see it, but if you need to have warranty service done then you need to switch it back to the black.

bdeitemeyer

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
Just a quick update, I emailed the iphone4whitekit guys once more and did receive a response. I was told that they're not taking any phones until the 30th of the month. I then asked them if they have the parts in stock to ship out in case I wanted to perform the conversion myself, and surprisingly they said yes but wouldn't ship them out till Monday. Monday? It's Thursday...

I ended up emailing Zeetron and receiving immediate responses. Their white deluxe conversion kit was in stock (for both a DIY or to send in for professional service), I paid for it around 3pm, and in less than an hour it was shipped out via FedEx overnight (due to arrive tomorrow before 3pm). Customer service was excellent, and I'm hoping the pieces that arrive are great as well.

Lukey Baby

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2011
They said that the new torx style iphone 4's have a different proximity sensor that does not work with the white parts? does anyone have the iphone with torx screws and have converted it white?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.