Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
Yeah like it is Free! Tom Tom is $50.00.

Free doesn't mean anything when your driving without signal and you get lost. I know you can download areas of the map, but that sucks when your in a different state every day of the week. $50...done.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
If you're cheap, go get a "free" Android phone. High-end consumers can spare $50 for a GPS app.

:rolleyes: Seriously? Why would ANYONE pay $50 for an app that is free if they could get it? You sure wouldnt if you could have Google Maps in the capacity that Android does and if your going to tell me you would, id say your lying. Google maps is pretty damn good and , did i mention it was free?

It has nothing to do with being cheap, it is just in an Androids users case,....senseless.
You look more and more like a Fayboy with each response.

Last edited:

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
If you're cheap, go get a "free" Android phone. High-end consumers can spare $50 for a GPS app.

That's interesting, but XDA has a sister iPhone developers site, and it's development oriented, not "what should I buy?" oriented. I wonder what some of the more user-centric forums look like?

However, I can say that surprisingly, I've seen a lot of Android-iPhone switches, and none the other way. It really surprised me that people bought the iPhone on Verizon when it was overshadowed by Verizon's multi-billion-dollar push to roll out 4G LTE on their precious upper C block.

So you are willing to toss money away that doesn't to be, in a recession economy.

Quite the genius mind you there...

/sarcasm

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
Free doesn't mean anything when your driving without signal and you get lost. I know you can download areas of the map, but that sucks when your in a different state every day of the week. $50...done.

Even if the $50 cost of the app may be acceptable to some, but I doubt Tom Tom can update road information as fast as Google. The better name for Tom Tom is Lost Lost.

GolferC

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
I would take the Galaxy Nexus over the 4S any day. I didn't think it would ever happen, but I am far happier with the screen size, 4G speed, and ICS operating system of the android Galaxy Nexus than I could be with the 4S.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
:rolleyes: Seriously? Why would ANYONE pay $50 for an app that is free if they could get it? You sure wouldnt if you could have Google Maps in the capacity that Android does and if your going to tell me you would, id say your lying. Google maps is pretty damn good and , did i mention it was free?

It has nothing to do with being cheap, it is just in an Androids users case,....senseless.

Blinded by the Apple light he is!! He'd be the same guy who would bitch if the next iPhone cost $50 more to upgrade to..:D

----------

I would take the Galaxy Nexus over the 4S any day. I didn't think it would ever happen, but I am far happier with the screen size, 4G speed, and ICS operating system of the android Galaxy Nexus than I could be with the 4S.

Would you still do that if the iPhone had a screen the size of the Nexus?
My only reason for trying the Galaxy Note was the screen size, and as it turns out, I like the phone and sold my iPhone. I am not shutting the door on Apple, but I doubt they will do any better than a 4" screen in the Fall, and that wouldn't be enough to bring me back.

Smug Boy

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2011
I went from a Palm Pre to an HTC EVO 3D. The phone was very fast, the UI was a bit too sensitive and some of the Apps frequently crashed. But the biggest problem was that the reception was horrific. I returned it within 30 day, reactivated my Palm Pre and waited for the iPhone 4S to be released.

I have had my iPhone 4S since the original release date. The few apps that I use have never crashed and the phone is not over sensative like the HTC. The reception is probably the best that I have gotten in the past 12 years on any of my phones.

Is the iPhone 4S perfect? Of course not, but at the present time it seems to be the best option on the market.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would like to start by saying I am a huge Apple fan and that I do not either an Android nor an iPhone(or ANY smart phone for that matter).

I follow the MR forums a lot and for obvious reasons I see a lot of newly converted iPhone users. Many if not all really enjoy the iPhone and would never go back to their previous phone.

My question for you today: Are there any users who are reading this have used both android and iphone and actually miss the android more? or any android converters who are glad they made the switch?

(This is not a hating discussion, I would just like to see if there are actually any die-hard Apple fans out there who enjoy products like a smart phone from other companies besides apple)

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Yep apples tiny screen lost me also, went from 4 gig 4s to Nexus and LTE and love it. I thought I may wait to see if the next iphone has a bigger screen, but I dont think they will break the 4inch mark, if they do come with a 4+ 1080p screen I may switch back.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would like to start by saying I am a huge Apple fan and that I do not either an Android nor an iPhone(or ANY smart phone for that matter).

I follow the MR forums a lot and for obvious reasons I see a lot of newly converted iPhone users. Many if not all really enjoy the iPhone and would never go back to their previous phone.

My question for you today: Are there any users who are reading this have used both android and iphone and actually miss the android more? or any android converters who are glad they made the switch?

(This is not a hating discussion, I would just like to see if there are actually any die-hard Apple fans out there who enjoy products like a smart phone from other companies besides apple)

I reall do not know whu you got downvoted for this post...

I'm one of those weird people that have to change often for variation. I do not have any preference over an OS. I often switch between Blackberry, Android and Iphone.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut

TomTom and Google Maps each have advantages. TomTom is a more full-featured piece of software, with integrated maps, and nice graphics to show lane changes. Google Maps offers the satellite overlay, is always updated, is easier to start using, and is free, but it's not as full-featured. TomTom is actually coming out with an Android app, which would be nirvana, as you could switch back and forth.

Exactly. I like the up-dateness of the Google Maps app on Android, but out in an EDGE area, loading it was rough. West Virginia would be hopeless, there's no service on any carrier in a lot of the state because of the NRQZ centered around Green Bank.

ECUSnare

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2011
I've had a few android phones (droid eris and original droid) as well as a blackberry tour. I like certain things from each of those (keyboard and push email on bb, open source and customization on android) but to me there has always been something that caused me to dislike. The main thing that sold me on the iPhone 4 is the app integration. It seems like the apps are written much better IMO and they don't crash nearly as much. I wouldn't mind trying the Galaxy Nexus or SGS2 but (1) I'm heavily invested in the apple ecosystem and (2) im not in a financially strong position where I can switch phones. Basically for me, it (iPhone) just works.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I've had a few android phones (droid eris and original droid) as well as a blackberry tour. I like certain things from each of those (keyboard and push email on bb, open source and customization on android) but to me there has always been something that caused me to dislike. The main thing that sold me on the iPhone 4 is the app integration. It seems like the apps are written much better IMO and they don't crash nearly as much. I wouldn't mind trying the Galaxy Nexus or SGS2 but (1) I'm heavily invested in the apple ecosystem and (2) im not in a financially strong position where I can switch phones. Basically for me, it (iPhone) just works.

I always find this statement funny. Like Androids...dont work? ...LOL. Been almost two years and it's working fine for me. I just dont know what that statement means for those who say it.

If its a preference, just say that.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I always find this statement funny. Like Androids...dont work? ...LOL. Been almost two years and it's working fine for me. I just dont know what that statement means for those who say it.

It's an Apple mantra that goes back to the mac v pc ads (maybe earlier, I didn't really follow it until then).

I like to say that is just works, except when it doesn't. And when it doesn't, there is no getting it to work unless Apple decides to make it so.

ECUSnare

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2011

I thought you would have understood it was a preference since the whole sentence reads "BASICALLY FOR ME it just works".

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
That's interesting, but XDA has a sister iPhone developers site, and it's development oriented, not "what should I buy?" oriented. I wonder what some of the more user-centric forums look like?

XDA has general discussion forums. While it is true that the users of xda may be more technically inclined than the average user, they again rarely bring up the Iphone.

In the end - It is really hard to compare IOS vs Android as your Android experience can vary greatly depending on the device you use and your own ability. The main difference between Android and IOS is apple's ecosystem and marketing. They just make it simple and consistent. In terms of capabilities, the OS's have little differences.

Most complaints on Android really aren't about Android but rather the device or hardware itself.

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Went from a 3GS to HTC Desire and used the Desire pretty much exclusively until I got a 4 and more recently a 4s. HTC gathering dust.

Having said that I reckon the upcoming SGSIII could be something quite incredible.

As much as it pains me to say it the SGSII has been a remarkable success and is a very competent handset.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I love android but because I have an iPad I kinda want an iPhone so I only have to sync everything once and be able to use iCloud to its full potential.

However, I'm not rushing into anything because android phones are so much more capable. I'm trying to make sure there's nothing I'll miss too much if I make the switch! I rarely experience the lag that a lot of people describe when using android.

EazyWeazy3

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
I converted last year. Absolutely love it. Had all iphones and went from the 4 to a Motorola Atrix to an International Galaxy S II and now a Galaxy Note. I have no want or need to go back to iphone.

-- Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I converted last year. Absolutely love it. Had all iphones and went from the 4 to a Motorola Atrix to an International Galaxy S II and now a Galaxy Note. I have no want or need to go back to iphone.

Ditto to that!

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011

I gotta say, after actually seeing a galaxy note in public i am trying to stop myself from buying one! That screen and real estate is gorgeous. What's funny is people keep saying its huge but i don't think it is THAT huge. The guy was also making a call on his and i didn't think it looked ridiculous at all. Looked a tad bigger than most blackberries people use all the time. But nothing as bad as many people here make it out to be. The form factor is great once you actually see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.