Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-A-P-M-

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
I traded 3GS for HTC Desire 2 years ago because I was bored with iPhone. Last June I bought Samsung Galaxy S2. It was great phone, I didn't consider iPhone 4 or 4S later. But last week I become bored with Android, also at that time Samsung still didn't updated to Ice Cream Sandwich and custom ICS roms were ok, but they had bugs. Samsung didn't reveal Source code, so developers can't fix all bugs. I had CyanogenMod, which is IMO much better than stock rom. Because Samsung didn't reveal source codes and Cyanogen couldn't be finnished, I sold SGS2 and bought iPhone 4S. So far, I love it and I don't regret at all. Everything works great and smooth, and also battery life is good too (despite Im still on 5.0.1 because of JB). I won't consider Samsung Galaxy S3, because Samsung is too slow with updates and they don't give enough support to developers.

I will enjoy my iPhone 4S until fall this year, and then I will decide between iPhone 4S successor and Galaxy Nexus successor - for sure both will be great.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
with iOS5, I can't really think of one thing I really want on my iPhone that I do not have. It just works for me. Don't care about useless widgets or OS "openness". My iPhone is a near perfect device for calls, messages, music, games and camera. Plus, its tied to the best ecosystem around. No desire to ever look at Android again.

I for one hope apple keeps the iPhone 5 screen size the same. I love the small form factor. If I have a need for a bigger screen, I will reach for my "all new iPad".

eikast

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2012
Michigan
I tried out the galaxy nexus and htc Rezound. In the end I missed using an iPhone so I got another 4S for Verizon.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I have had it almost a month now and really like it. It fits in my pockets just fine and now it doesn't even feel big when I'm holding it. Guess I got used to it.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Glad you like it....I'm staying with apple. None of the other android phones have a good camera in them. Compared to the 4s, they are quite a bit behind in quality. As a photographer, I can tell the difference. Plus the android screens I've seen had a green tint and the white balance was way off. I personally think android sucks. Android software is just too choppy and lags quite a bit. They also are all made of plastic and very little metal, too cheap feeling to me. I like a phone with some weight and heft....yes I like them heavy. Enjoy your droid.

EazyWeazy3

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Glad you like it....I'm staying with apple. None of the other android phones have a good camera in them. Compared to the 4s, they are quite a bit behind in quality. As a photographer, I can tell the difference. Plus the android screens I've seen had a green tint and the white balance was way off. I personally think android sucks. Android software is just too choppy and lags quite a bit. They also are all made of plastic and very little metal, too cheap feeling to me. I like a phone with some weight and heft....yes I like them heavy. Enjoy your droid.

That couldn't be farther from the truth. The 4S camera is nice, yes. But Samsung and even Nokia for that matter have some damn good cameras on them.

Last edited:

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Part of one of my business' I own is in graphics and being I own both a 4S and SGII , their both extremely close, each has an advantage in certain situations for the cameras. Both take extremely sharp photos for a cam, but not even remotely close to replacing a good camera, I don't know any pro photographer that use any phone for their work. Plus there are app's to adjust on Android like screen adjuster if someone doesn't want the vivid color's and sat of the stock settings. The only advantage the 4S has is a very slight one in dim settings w/o flash and it focuses slightly quicker.

Green tint? No green tint here, some have, they took back the phones and the replacements were fine. Now why does that sound familiar? Oh yeh, look at all the threads on here about the 4S colors being anywhere from tinted blue to yellowish or off-white.... I know b/c I took back our first 4S that never lost it's yellowish look and the new one is better but still looks like an off white tint.

I don't know what lag and and choppy-ness you or others talk about. I swipe left or right nothing but smoothess, swipe up for multi home screens nothing but smoothness, click nothing but smoothness, same for going through menu's. Not a single hint of lag or chop, just fast and smooth.

The whole build quality could go either way, personally I love having a phone now that I don't worry about, it's been dropped a few times more so by the lunatic dogs running around. Not a single scratch or crack. Sure the iPhones have the glass and metal and it feels better but its harder to grip, and what's the point when there's zilch durability if you drop from even 10 inches lol. Or have a case on it, no sense in gloating about glass and metal (not meaning you directly) when there's a case covering it lol. Be like telling everyone you have the hottest f'n woman around, yet make her wear granny panties/sweats/sweatshirt when going out
biggrin.gif
. It's like a motorcycle, it's not if you drop, it's when.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011

Not sure about the camers in the 4s, but my Note takes better pics than my IP4 did. And as far as build quality, the Galaxy Note feels solid, not cheap. I'll admit that there have been and still are some lower end Android devices that are cheaply made, but there is a phone for every budget. I do not see any green tint here either. Also, my Note does not lagg at all. I have tried some Androids in the past that did, but this one doesn't.
I too was an Apple fan that was convinced that I would never leave the Iphone, which was an excellent device, but I simply wanted a larger screen. The Note screen was big enough to lure me in for a try. Once I did, I was hooked. After using this device, I would never go back to a screen the size of the Iphone's screen. It's a very capable phone that does everything for me that the Iphone did. It is a bit more complicated than IOS, so the Iphone is probably better for someone who simply wants it to work and doesn't care about customizing it. I went the jailbreaking route with the Iphone, and that was fun, but it did cause the phone to lagg a bit for me. I know some say theirs did not lag after jailbreaking, but mine did. Not much, just a little.
I'll be watching this Fall to see what Apple releases as far as the new Iphone goes, but unless it is a screen of 4.5", I won't be considering it.
I think the other reason I changed phones is the fact that I had an Iphone for a few years now and i just wanted something different. Change is good sometimes.
What I can't understand is how some on this forum would never even consider another device, and they would just blindly accept whatever Apple puts out. Strange!!
I remember when Blackberry was all the rage. Things can and do change sometimes.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
^^^^^
So, you had an iPhone 4 and got the Galaxy Note. I'd be interested to know what kind of battery life you got with strictly browsing. For example, the 4 gets 6 hours, give or take, when browsing. I've seen reviews that state the Note only gets 4 hours. True?

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
^^^^^
So, you had an iPhone 4 and got the Galaxy Note. I'd be interested to know what kind of battery life you got with strictly browsing. For example, the 4 gets 6 hours, give or take, when browsing. I've seen reviews that state the Note only gets 4 hours. True?

I've never actually timed it but it seems about the same as my IP4. It could be a bit less, but I don't spend hours on it browsing. I did buy a couple spare batteries for myself and my kids, and I keep 1 in my wallet for when I am out. Being able to swap out a battery is nice.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I've never actually timed it but it seems about the same as my IP4. It could be a bit less, but I don't spend hours on it browsing. I did buy a couple spare batteries for myself and my kids, and I keep 1 in my wallet for when I am out. Being able to swap out a battery is nice.

If I can save searching, how much do the batteries cost? How long to charge?

That was one feature (not having a replaceable battery) I never liked about the iPhone, but mentioning that on this site is a waste of time, since you're beaten down by the fanboys, who say the phone is perfect as it is. Also, since I don't have the eyesight I had when I was younger, I'd like to have a bigger screen. I'm up for an upgrade, and I don't know if I can continue to wait for the iPhone 5, if it's just going to be a small step up from the 4S with the same form factor.

EazyWeazy3

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
^^^^^

I take my Note off the charger around 7am and by around 9-10pm I'll receive a message saying low battery, connect to charger. Once that comes on I still have about another 30-45 minutes depending on what I'm doing before it dies or I plug it back in.

That's with moderate to heavy usage. Text, whatsapp, email, twitter, Webstagram, Google Reader and tapatalk. Since I'm in school I go from using it a lot(no class) to not using it(in class).

I've never just browsed on it. I'm always doing something else so you may have to look to tech writers and read reviews and see if anyone has done a battery test based solely on Web browsing.

-- Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
If I can save searching, how much do the batteries cost? How long to charge?

That was one feature (not having a replaceable battery) I never liked about the iPhone, but mentioning that on this site is a waste of time, since you're beaten down by the fanboys, who say the phone is perfect as it is. Also, since I don't have the eyesight I had when I was younger, I'd like to have a bigger screen. I'm up for an upgrade, and I don't know if I can continue to wait for the iPhone 5, if it's just going to be a small step up from the 4S with the same form factor.

On Amazon I purchased a Samsung Desktop dock and battery charger which came with an Original Samsung battery for $29.00. I also bought 2 separate batteries for $11.00 each. They are Anker batteries, and so far work fine. Not a fan of non OEM batteries, so the charger and battery is probably better over the long run. Avoid the ATT store. Everything there is much more expensive.

Im 50 and wanted a bigger screen to view without having to wear my glasses. I still wear them though because4 even though everything is bigger, it is still not clear to me without glasses.
My wife still has her iPhone and is waiting until the IP5. She is a non tech person who after 1 1/2 years finally knows how to use her iPhone, and absolutely will not change devices now to have to relearn a new OS.

You have a 30 day tryout period, so it may be worth a shot for you. The Att store charges a $35.00 return fee if you return it. I'm not sure whether Amazon charges any return fee. If you do try it out give it some time. My 30 day trial period is up in a few days, but after a week of having the phone, i decided I wasn't returning it.

Also, don't believe all the stuff about Android phones not fitting into the Apple ecosystem. I sync my music with Google music manager, which syncs with y iTunes library. My calendar syncs with Ical on my Mac. And I can sync my pictures with iPhoto on my Mac. Other than Airplay, it does everything i need it to.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
All the downvotes for a legit question/discussion topic. :rolleyes: Ironically the "think different" crowd can have trouble thinking outside the apple box.

When the iPhone first came out I couldn't justify the purchase for the [lack of] functionality it had. It didn't even let you copy and paste. I have very little patience for the slow roll-out of key features. You know, the little game tech companies play with us where they know they can give you options but they wait until another revision to claw in a few more awed takers. I understand (it's business) but I'm not one to thank someone for doing what they probably should have done in the first place. So I passed on the iPhone until it could sufficiently geek-arouse me the way macs have done over the years.

When I finally fell into the never-go-back of the smartphone existence I got an android. I upgraded to another android as well because it gave me the functionality I was looking for. THEN the 4S came out and I was sufficiently geek-aroused. I can't imagine I'll go back to android really but both platforms have merit and have their pros and cons.

I don't get the "NO, MY CHOICE IN TECH IS BEST" arguments. Gadgets aren't one-size-fits-all.

beret9987

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2005
San Francisco, CA
If iOS gave me access to a filesystem, I would LOVE that. My biggest gripe with it is that if I write a paper on my iPad or even my iPhone, I gotta Dropbox it, then get to a computer to upload it to my school's course dropbox. I enjoyed the fact I had such freedom on Android. Other than that.. I'm pretty happy with iOS. It fits my needs for now, just that one nagging bit.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
:rolleyes: Seriously? Why would ANYONE pay $50 for an app that is free if they could get it? You sure wouldnt if you could have Google Maps in the capacity that Android does and if your going to tell me you would, id say your lying. Google maps is pretty damn good and , did i mention it was free?

It has nothing to do with being cheap, it is just in an Androids users case,....senseless.
You look more and more like a Fayboy with each response.

I think the argument is that TomTom, and I believe Navigon [Garmin] downloads the maps to the phone. Whereas Google is using your signal. So if you lose signal, or have any lag updating maps, you're screwed. I happen to think that spending $50 is pretty cheap for that guarantee of having the latest map on your phone, regardless of coverage. Especially if you travel frequently.

In that case; ya, cheap/free isn't always best.

----------

I converted last year. Absolutely love it. Had all iphones and went from the 4 to a Motorola Atrix to an International Galaxy S II and now a Galaxy Note. I have no want or need to go back to iphone.

-- Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

That's very nice! I'm proud of ya...

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I think the argument is that TomTom, and I believe Navigon [Garmin] downloads the maps to the phone. Whereas Google is using your signal. So if you lose signal, or have any lag updating maps, you're screwed. I happen to think that spending $50 is pretty cheap for that guarantee of having the latest map on your phone, regardless of coverage. Especially if you travel frequently.

In that case; ya, cheap/free isn't always best.
Google Maps does do map caching. It caches map images within a 10 mile radius of your location in the event you lose your cell signal. Not perfect, but it's better than the old way.
You can also go into the labs section of the app and pre-cache a map of an area you're going to via the Places page.

The issue with Tom Tom and Navigon is the map data takes up a lot of storage space.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
If iOS gave me access to a filesystem, I would LOVE that. My biggest gripe with it is that if I write a paper on my iPad or even my iPhone, I gotta Dropbox it, then get to a computer to upload it to my school's course dropbox. I enjoyed the fact I had such freedom on Android. Other than that.. I'm pretty happy with iOS. It fits my needs for now, just that one nagging bit.
Yeh being able to access files for me, especially for multiple business and doing what I want it to do is a big thing I love with Android, and being able to mount it and do whatever quickly and unmount w/o dealing with iTunes or its quirkiness. But if you jailbreak your phone you can install iFile which I have on the iPhones except for the 4 which works similarly.

Not really, I've driven through the boonies like heading through N.C. and didn't have a problem with Google Nav as GPS is still active even if you do loose signal and it has the caching, but even in spotty areas like through the mountains I didn't have a problem even when it went on and off on edge a few times as AT&T doesn't have the coverage or towers that Sprint or Verizon do there. It uses vector graphics which isn't intensive or data heavy, reason why it works well even on edge.

Last edited:

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
I've had a few android phones (droid eris and original droid) as well as a blackberry tour. I like certain things from each of those (keyboard and push email on bb, open source and customization on android) but to me there has always been something that caused me to dislike. The main thing that sold me on the iPhone 4 is the app integration. It seems like the apps are written much better IMO and they don't crash nearly as much. I wouldn't mind trying the Galaxy Nexus or SGS2 but (1) I'm heavily invested in the apple ecosystem and (2) im not in a financially strong position where I can switch phones. Basically for me, it (iPhone) just works.

Factually...on the app crash bit..you are 100% wrong.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/06/ios_apps_crash_more/

jules.vincent

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
Germany
I just switched from an Android, and I really do not miss it. The iPhone is working great. The only feature I half way miss is the ability to block calls.

Don't know if anyone answered this one yet, but you can block calls by pressing the sleep button twice.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
The only thing I miss from my Android phones is Google Navigation.

That app is just unmatched, and I really wish they'd release an iPhone version. I mean, the stock Maps app is Google... you can search, get directions, etc... but I want the GPS navigation functionality. It was great.

What I do now is search in Maps, then copy/paste the address into MapQuest (chosen since it's free), and use the navigation there. It's not bad, but not nearly as good as Google's Android app.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Personally, I don't know how anyone who texts or emails a lot can live with iOS' keyboard. It often misses keys (as in unregistered taps), autocorrection is often off, there's no suggestion bar, and no long pressing for secondary keys, etc. The keyboard is so poor that it's given rise to numerous websites that make fun of ridiculous and unintended autocorrections.

ICS' keyboard is now leagues ahead of iOS'. The autocorrection is phenomenal, it's more responsive (hardly ever misses taps), and little features like auto-separating typos (e.g. accidentally hitting the 'b' button instead of the spacebar when typing two words: "hibthere" will auto correct to "hi there") just makes the keyboard feel smarter and more user friendly.

There are things I miss about my iPhone, but as someone who emails and texts a lot, the switch to ICS was logical. I'm keeping a keen eye on iOS 6, and hoping improvements will finally be made to the keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.