Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

150042-copilot1-1.jpg
150042-copilot2-2.jpg

Another developer has just entered the North American turn-by-turn GPS fray, joining Navigon, Sygic, iGO and others in providing an alternative to help iPhone 3GS and 3G users get where they need to go. CoPilot Live North America by ALK Technologies, Ltd. made it to the App Store earlier today and joins previously-published versions of the app for the United Kingdom and Europe.

CoPilot Live North America is currently priced aggressively relative to competing apps at $34.99. The North American navigation apps by Navigon, Sygic, and iGO are currently priced at $69.99, $79.99, and $79.99 respectively.

The CoPilot Live features list indicates that it stores maps of the U.S. and Canada locally on your iPhone and that it contains features common to stand-alone GPS units, including route optimization, pre-trip planning, an automatic day/night mode, and more.

TomTom, one of the major players in the GPS market, still has yet to release their iPhone GPS app that was first promised at WWDC in June. It is anxiously awaited by many MacRumors forum members, and recent rumors of a special media event in September and around the pricing of the app and its companion mount have revived speculation about its release date.

The CoPilot Live North America app can be found on the App Store here (link opens iTunes).

Article Link: 'CoPilot Live' Turn-by-Turn GPS App Debuts in App Store

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
Hopefully this will steal even MORE customers away from TomTom, making them learn a lesson for taking so bloody long.

Anyway did anyone notice this : Livelink location sharing and messaging : keep track of your copilot friends LIVE on screen.

Seems like a pretty neat function...

I am wondering how much the "real time traffic premium extra" is going to cost after the update....

meelash

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
Finally, these GPS apps are starting to come down to reasonable prices. Given that they are not selling any hardware, and the iPhone has built in maps, the prices at which the big companies are trying to sell turn-by-turn is really unsustainable.
If you can buy a standalone unit that includes GPS hardware and SD card storage for only $20-30 more, you know the app is overpriced.

Redwood

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
For this price I will buy this one. The $70 and $80 for the other navigation apps are way overpriced.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Their store description says FREE UPDATE COMING SOON with some upcoming features, including remembering your destination after a phone call. I guess the current version loses track.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA

CoPilot Live North America is currently priced aggressively relative to competing apps at $34.99.

The phrase "early to market" apparently means nothing to TomTom. With a whole handful of GPS Apps now in the App Store, with prices as low as $34.99, I think TomTom has already waited too long. I think it's too late now. $34.99. :)

It's going to be interesting to see how many more GPS Apps enter the App Store before TomTom finishes their homework and turns it in late.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It would not be a surprise if all this competition is putting pressure on TomTom to keep the price low. I haven't made up my mind about these apps, and I'd like to see them give formal side-by-side reviews.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
These relate to the UK version I've had for the last week or two:

Yes you can play iTunes whilst using it.

Yes it does have walk and peddle bike and motor bike modes.

Sat Nav software do NOT use the Goole Maps in the iPhone, they use maps that are made by one of several companies.

The Realtime traffic will cost about 35 pounds sterling in the UK for a 2 year subscription. So that's about 50 dollers isn't it?

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Downloading the app now. It's highly recommended to be done through iTunes due to possible authorization issues. The download is big at 1.1GB.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Wow, and I was about to pull the trigger on Navigon before it supposedly was to go up to $99 on the 15th. Great steal, ALK! I picked it up in a heartbeat. I used to use CoPilot back on the WinMo devices, so I'm quite familiar with their stuff. Good to know that they'll have live tracking, that'll be fun to use!

Installing now... ;)

idesign81

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2007
Downloading the app now. It's highly recommended to be done through iTunes due to possible authorization issues. The download is big at 1.1GB.

Dumb question but can I use it with out Internet on my 3gs? If I press on the maps apple the gps seems to place me somewhere but with out Internet I have no maps. In this application I would.. Would it actually work?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Dumb question but can I use it with out Internet on my 3gs? If I press on the maps apple the gps seems to place me somewhere but with out Internet I have no maps. In this application I would.. Would it actually work?

Not sure, when I installed it I had to enter my email address and a password, I was then sent an email from ALK stating my account had been set up so I suspect not. Can you not just connect to a WiFi connection as that will work.

boxstboy

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2009
the iPhone has built in maps

WTF? The iphone doesn't have any built-in maps. Google Maps relies on a fast internet connection to stream maps as you move. Real GPS apps store all maps on the phone, so no waiting when you move to EDGE/GPRS in the sticks. Even 3G's latency is too high for fast on-demand streaming.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
downloaded as well...will use tonight on the way to friend's house to see how it works.

swb1192

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Anyone else experiencing slow download time for this app? I've got 2 hours remaining for it...?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Anyone else experiencing slow download time for this app? I've got 2 hours remaining for it...?

The app is over a gigabyte (the maps are stored on your phone, not accessed lived), so you can expect it to take a lot longer to download than most apps.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
wow, nice interface!

I gotta say, this one looks really good. I've been using G-Map for awhile, and while I like it, I think this one's interface and feature set may be better. I'll have to figure out more about this traffic premium nonsense though... certainly not something I'd be willing to pay extra for.

Madeye

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2009
Abililty to use GPS receiver?

I would love to see if I could use my GPS receiver via bluetooth instead of the iphones GPS. My bluetooth gps is a lot stronger and did a great job on my winmo HTC phone using iGuidance app.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Just a couple of notes on the product.

Interface is great. Street names are large and legible without obstructing or being distracting.

I like the fact that they made their own keyboard. I don't like ABCDEF keyboard layout - would have preferred QWERTY as an option.

Voices are plenty and they are loud. Lots of options to play with, including 2D/3D, day/night, compass, etc. Refresh rate is decent.

My music still played in the background while the app was running, but I didn't get to test the actual navigation yet (just bought it and it took a while to download!).

Glad to see that they're familiar with my area - the snapshots in iTunes are of East Brunswick, NJ! ;)

This product is well worth the $35 I paid. Let's hope that the realtime traffic won't be expensive when it becomes available, as well as map updates.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
So far so good. Took a while to download. Also took a bit to transfer to the iPhone. Be prepared for at least an hour getting it installed.

I didn't use it very much but it appears to not speak street names. Also, the maps are a little out of date. There are new streets in my area that have been finished for over 4 years yet they do not appear on this app.

You can choose between a male or female voice.

I like the interface. Typing in a destination is easy.

Shows weather conditions locally, at destination or in another city.

Will cost extra to use the traffic part of the app.

Lots of POI's (Points of Interest).

Able to select routing type (Quickest, Shortest, Avoid Expressways, Economic).

Not a bad app! Lots of features and definitely worth $35 if you don't already have a stand alone GPS. I have a Garmin Nuvi and will still use it but this is great for a "backup" in case I don't have the Garmin in the car.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
i don't own an iphone no more.

but if i wanted to buy this GPS app for my ipod touch will it be useful? or not? when i don't have wi-fi? (please be easy on me btw.:D)

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
These relate to the UK version I've had for the last week or two:

Yes you can play iTunes whilst using it.

Yes it does have walk and peddle bike and motor bike modes.

Sat Nav software do NOT use the Goole Maps in the iPhone, they use maps that are made by one of several companies.

The Realtime traffic will cost about 35 pounds sterling in the UK for a 2 year subscription. So that's about 50 dollers isn't it?

Just to say that ALK haven't released pricing to live traffic, unless you're going to get a Windows Mobile license?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.