Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
WTF? The iphone doesn't have any built-in maps. Google Maps relies on a fast internet connection to stream maps as you move. Real GPS apps store all maps on the phone, so no waiting when you move to EDGE/GPRS in the sticks. Even 3G's latency is too high for fast on-demand streaming.

On my previous EDGE iPhone I was able to use Google Maps as a nearly block accurate GPS by cell tower and wifi triangulation alone here in Atlanta area. Never had a problem streaming maps over EDGE and on 3G it's instantaneous. Not sure what 3G speeds others are getting, but in ATL I get 2.2mb/sec.
That's half of my charter broadband which gets 4.4mb/sec generally.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
GPS applications generally work with two things:

1. Your location as determined by a GPS receiver that triangulates based on its view of the satellites in the sky. This is why GPS applications do a lot better if the device has a good view of the sky. The iPhone 3G and 3GS are the only Apple devices with GPS. The iPod Touch can get a general sense of where you are by knowing where various WIFI points are, but it isn't accurate enough for turn-by-turn directions. Also, it doesn't work when you're moving fast on highways or where they are not WIFI hotspots.

2. The maps. Google does not license its maps for turn-by-turn directions on the iPhone as far as I know. This means that a GPS application needs to supply all of its own maps and other information. That's why the file sizes are HUGE and GIGANTIC compared to other applications. That's what makes them take so long to download.

Hope that helps.

zelman

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
thank you ^^^^^^^^ dwsolberg^^^^^^ now I know it will take about more than a hour if I want to download a GPS app for my iPod touch

The iPod touch does not have gps hardware. You will possibly be able to plan routes, but you will not know where you are located.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Can anyone do an in depth review of this app? Somehow I've been getting mixed reviews for this app for their UK version (yeah yeah I know we're here at US but I'm doing my own research to determine how reliable this app is)

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
Can anyone do an in depth review of this app? Somehow I've been getting mixed reviews for this app for their UK version (yeah yeah I know we're here at US but I'm doing my own research to determine how reliable this app is)

just some quick notes after using it tonight while going to a friend's house (in phoenix/scottsdale area, in case anyone's interested):

- voice is loud and clear
- user interface is confusing so far, but will just take time to understand it
- needs the update to QWERTY soon!
- picked up GPS signal quickly and didn't lag very much. pretty accurate
- direction prompts are so-so. didn't like the fact that it just said, "take exit" rather than "take exit 101". though sygic doesn't have text to speech, it would give the exit number.
- can move map around via touch; sygic doesn't do that, which is a pain.
- saving contacts lists to favorites is somewhat tedious, as it asks you to verify city/state/street/number before adding to your favorites.
- screen automatically stays on as long as app is running, unlike sygic where i had to turn off the auto-lock in settings.

that's a quick rundown of what i've exprienced so far. haven't used a lot of the functions yet so i'll need to play more with that soon. for $35, i think it's a really good deal and even though tom tom might come out with something better, it would have to be REALLY good to get me to download it.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Not sure, when I installed it I had to enter my email address and a password, I was then sent an email from ALK stating my account had been set up so I suspect not. Can you not just connect to a WiFi connection as that will work.

Are you saying that in order to start using the app, you had to enter your email and create a password and wait for an email from ALK? I wonder if this is some sort of per-installation tagging that will prevent you from sharing the app within your household to other iPhones synced with the same iTunes account. :confused:

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
just some quick notes after using it tonight while going to a friend's house (in phoenix/scottsdale area, in case anyone's interested):

- direction prompts are so-so. didn't like the fact that it just said, "take exit" rather than "take exit 101". though sygic doesn't have text to speech, it would give the exit number.
- saving contacts lists to favorites is somewhat tedious, as it asks you to verify city/state/street/number before adding to your favorites.
- screen automatically stays on as long as app is running, unlike sygic where i had to turn off the auto-lock in settings.

that's a quick rundown of what i've exprienced so far. haven't used a lot of the functions yet so i'll need to play more with that soon. for $35, i think it's a really good deal and even though tom tom might come out with something better, it would have to be REALLY good to get me to download it.

Weird that it does not seem to be able to take advantage of Address Book. I rather enter something in Address book and have the GPS application add it to my favorites. Why enter an address twice?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Which of all of them is the best product?

Lets see if the $35 drives the price points on the others down. If the products are reasonably comparable...double the price is just not going to fly regardless of the Brand Name.

gabe90

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
This looks great and the price is finally something that won't prohibit me from buying. Hope this drives down the other GPS apps prices as well. Good news!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Are you saying that in order to start using the app, you had to enter your email and create a password and wait for an email from ALK? I wonder if this is some sort of per-installation tagging that will prevent you from sharing the app within your household to other iPhones synced with the same iTunes account. :confused:

I didn't need to wait for an email but part of the installation process was to enter my email address and a password if I remember. But that's the UK version. It could be an anti piracy measure.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW

Appreciate the quick review kugino, I have a couple of questions still: Is it true that the Lane assist and speed limits are not available for the app? People are saying it was greyed out. Also when some call interrupts the app, you lose your route afterwards? I wish they could hbe polished it a little more before they released it.

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
It would not be a surprise if all this competition is putting pressure on TomTom to keep the price low. I haven't made up my mind about these apps, and I'd like to see them give formal side-by-side reviews.

Me too ... and the longer I wait for TomTom to get off their PomPoms and release their product, the angrier I get. :mad:

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I didn't need to wait for an email but part of the installation process was to enter my email address and a password if I remember. But that's the UK version. It could be an anti piracy measure.

Or, more likely, a registration procedure so they can send you annoying 'product updates'. You know, "add value to your app, with additional feature x for only $9.95, with purchase enabled through the app. You will be amazed how much better your app works. And if you love CoPilot for iphone, why not try coPilot XL, stand alone hardware with all copilot features for only $200!"

davyreins

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Ann Arbor
Do any of of the current GPS apps have turn-by-turn with streets? As in does the voice say "turn right in 50 ft. on Marshall St" or does it just say "Turn right in 50 ft." and you have to look at the iPhone to figure out the street name.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Do any of of the current GPS apps have turn-by-turn with streets? As in does the voice say "turn right in 50 ft. on Marshall St" or does it just say "Turn right in 50 ft." and you have to look at the iPhone to figure out the street name.

So far none, a lot of us are waiting for that TTS feature which IMHO is for safety. Navigon, Sygic and some other TBT apps have that option coming in a future update in which we don't know how long will it take them to release it (then get approved by Apple)

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
Must say I've only used copilot for two days yet, but am impressed with ease of use, clarity of speech and overall value for money. I've encountered two problems so far. Sometimes app seems to hang during launch and has to be restarted. Also annoying that when interrupted by a call, app has to restart. However, I don't think any app has been perfect on launch and these seem minor problems which should be easily sorted with an update. Overall, very good value for money

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Must say I've only used copilot for two days yet, but am impressed with ease of use, clarity of speech and overall value for money. I've encountered two problems so far. Sometimes app seems to hang during launch and has to be restarted. Also annoying that when interrupted by a call, app has to restart. However, I don't think any app has been perfect on launch and these seem minor problems which should be easily sorted with an update. Overall, very good value for money

People say the maps are outdated, do you have a good experience with the use/display of maps on CoPilot?

Also, when you do close turns - does the app really fail on that? It can't give you precise instructions for close turns - what I mean is after turning right, you'll be turning right (or left) immediately; Somehow reviews are showing that the app can't keep up for that, is this true?

I don't know if I can sacrifice the price for an old map and a flaky TBT directions. The call feature will be addressed on an update though.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Or, more likely, a registration procedure so they can send you annoying 'product updates'. You know, "add value to your app, with additional feature x for only $9.95, with purchase enabled through the app. You will be amazed how much better your app works. And if you love CoPilot for iphone, why not try coPilot XL, stand alone hardware with all copilot features for only $200!"

My your cynical? But no, I don;t think it's to send me spam mate. You have to have an account to use Co-Pilot live features.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
having used a Tom Tom satnav for two years, copilots maps are already showing up more accurate. I have'nt yet had a problem not keeping up with any turns or junctions. Also this setup finds satellite initially much faster than my Tom tom.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
having used a Tom Tom satnav for two years, copilots maps are already showing up more accurate. I have'nt yet had a problem not keeping up with any turns or junctions. Also this setup finds satellite initially much faster than my Tom tom.

Thanks. A lot of people are reporting that the map CoPilot uses are outdated badly, which is why I'm holding off - maps are the heart of this app.

So basically the US version doesn't have a Lane assist yet? Nor speed limit warnings?

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
I'm no GPS junkie or expert but IMO it works very well. You get warnings 200, 100 and 50 meters before the turn. It will also tell you when a second turn occurs very soon after the upcoming turn "turn left in 50 meters and then turn right".

However, it's not perfect. When you are just about to reach the turning point it says something like "in a short distance, turn left" (sorry I can't remember the exact wording). By the time it finishes the relatively long instruction, you are already at the street and beginning you turn. It's not a real big deal though. It gives you 3 warnings before the turn so it's obvious that you need to turn at the next street. If you can't figure this out, what the heck are you doing on the road?? ;) and how did you ever get anywhere before GPS lol.

The maps do need an update. There are a few "new" streets in my subdivision that are not on the maps and the streets are about 3 years old now. However, I do live in "Smallville" New Brunswick, population 80,000 :).

I'm glad I bought this and not a more expensive app. I think it will be very helpful! Not perfect but well worth the money.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.