Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
specs or os

hmm
Don't forget the "build" itself.

As rough as I am on laptops, I consider the OS secondary to this. My current lowly whitebook is my first mac but the 7th laptop I've owned. I could barely get a year out of PC's before keys would stick or completely pop off, displays would go out, and battery life would dwindle to an hour.

I'll take laptop longevity over glossy specs any day.

ermir4444

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Toronto On
The ENVY was a nice try, but a major fail.

Anyway, you guys do realize that arrandale hasn't been released yet, right? That the mobile version of the i7. Right now clarksfield is way too hot to throw into a MBP. The coolest one is 45W and thats before the chipset and graphics. Arrandale has graphics built in, and maxes out at 35W, and the ULV version tops out at an amazing 17W.

MBPs update in Feb. If arrandale is out by then, it'll be in the MBPs. If not, the MBPs will be announced but not released.

Maybe you are right about the 13 inch Envy. It is no match for the 13 inch MBP and costs more but the 15 inch envy with the i7 and the 4830 if im not mistaken gives the 15 inch high end MBP a run for its money in both CPU and GPU and comes for 200 less. So you cannot say that the Envy is a major fail.

[Update] This is coming from an apple fan who owns a MBP 13 but people we got to face the facts: The 15" and 17" MBP's are way to overpriced...Nvidia 9600 in a 2000 $ laptop. There are Gateways who have 9800 GTS for less that 1000 $.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Maybe you are right about the 13 inch Envy. It is no match for the 13 inch MBP and costs more but the 15 inch envy with the i7 and the 4830 if im not mistaken gives the 15 inch high end MBP a run for its money in both CPU and GPU and comes for 200 less. So you cannot say that the Envy is a major fail

Yet again, the battery life seems to be a lot shorter then the MBP ;)

phrint

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Ohio
I messed with a 15" HP Envy at Micro Center the other day. It is a nice looking laptop but it feels very cheap to the touch compared with a MBP. HP would have gotten killer sales if they took 30% off the price. Heck, I might have even bought one at that price. Now I am going to wait for the i7 in the MBP and that will be my next laptop. Try again, HP....you can't compete in the upmarket with Apple and what you put into the Envy. Its quality is severly lacking when compared to Apple.

chrisrottan

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2009
http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/notebooks/0,39050488,45073846p,00.htm

lol, Envy sucks. 179 minutes of video playback on battery, the 13" MBP gets 342 in the same test. I wonder what I would choose ;)

That's the problem with like all the PCs, they either got alot of power or bad battery life. I haven't yet seen a PC that matched the MBP 13" in size, weight, performance and battery life for a lower price. And then we are not counting in the aluminium feel, backlit keyboard and such. Just the normal hardware all computers uses.

Please show me 1 PC that can offer same performance (both CPU wise and battery wise) in the same weight and size category for a "much lower price". I've yet to see one ;)

If I could only get 179 on video playback at full brightness on my MBP.
Do you realize the battery life on it is actually 18hours?
-----------------------------
ENVY 15 Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Intel Core i7 1.6Ghz
6GB RAM
500 GB RAM
1GB ATI RADEON HD 4830
15.6" 1920x1080 LED Screen
Webcam
Wireless N
Bluetooth
HDMI out
5 USB Ports
Envy Instant On Solution, Corel VideoStudio Pro X2, Corel Paintshop Pro X2, Stardock My Colors
One 6 Cell Lithium Ion Polymer Battery + One 9 Cell HP Envy Slim Fit Extended-Life Notebook Battery (18 hours)
Price: $1,999.00
--------------------------------------
Macbook Pro 15:

Snow leopard
Intel core 2 duo 2.66ghz
4GB RAM
15" 1440x900 LED screen
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor with 256MB
320 GB HD
3USB Ports
MiniDisplay Port
7hr Battery

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
If I could only get 179 on video playback at full brightness on my MBP.
Do you realize the battery life on it is actually 18hours?
-----------------------------
ENVY 15 Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Intel Core i7 1.6Ghz
6GB RAM
500 GB RAM
1GB ATI RADEON HD 4830
15.6" 1920x1080 LED Screen
Webcam
Wireless N
Bluetooth
HDMI out
5 USB Ports
Envy Instant On Solution, Corel VideoStudio Pro X2, Corel Paintshop Pro X2, Stardock My Colors
One 6 Cell Lithium Ion Polymer Battery + One 9 Cell HP Envy Slim Fit Extended-Life Notebook Battery (18 hours)
--------------------------------------
Macbook Pro 15:

Snow leopard
Intel core 2 duo 2.66ghz
4GB RAM
15" 1440x900 LED screen
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor with 256MB
320 GB HD
3USB Ports
MiniDisplay Port
7hr Battery

its 18 hours with a big ass extension battery which makes it look really stupid. Also it weights more. I'd rather get a hypermac battery so my computer didn't always look stupid. ;)

Did you look at the test? 179 minutes to the envy, 349 to the MBP. Same brightness, same everything.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Yet again, the battery life seems to be a lot shorter then the MBP ;)
Well that is true, but you have to remember with the HP you can get a battery slice(thin battery that covers the whole bottom of the machine), which in the 13in model has been tested to get 10 hours. HP is claiming 7-8 hours with the battery slice on the Envy 15, so real world should be closer to 5-6 hours, which is still pretty good for a quad core machine with a dedicated gpu. Just saying.

I dunno I'd rather have the battery slice, vs the hypermac battery as the battery slice only makes the device a bit thicker, and a little heavier something I can deal with for longer battery life.

chrisrottan

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2009
No one wants a crappy plastic HP.
It's made out of magnesium tough guy

its 18 hours with a big ass extension battery which makes it look really stupid. Also it weights more. I'd rather get a hypermac battery so my computer didn't always look stupid. ;)

Did you look at the test? 179 minutes to the envy, 349 to the MBP. Same brightness, same everything.

Yes I did. However, same brightness on my 13"mbp and i can get an hour and a half tops on a full charge(if that).
Also, the battery is slim and goes underneath the notebook, like a cover. It's not a huge ass battery that makes it look really stupid. Again, do you know what you're talking about to make such outrageous claims? First, you said the battery life is mediocre and you went by cnet's stats(which also said windows 7 is a vista service pack). Then, you claimed that the shape of the battery is like the ones on previous notebooks.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Don't forget Turbo Boost (2.8 GHz for 1 core).

Well, 4 x 1.6 GHz is maybe a tiny bit faster than 2 x 2.8GHz, but not a lot.
And the Turbo Boost gives you 1 x 2.8 GHz which be my reckoning is less than 2 x 2.8 GHz :rolleyes:

Fact is there are trade-offs between speed, weight, and battery life; a 2.8 GHz Core Duo is plenty fast, and for 99% of the laptop using population weight and battery life are more important than a bit more speed.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
It's made out of magnesium tough guy

Yes I did. However, same brightness on my 13"mbp and i can get an hour and a half tops on a full charge(if that).
Also, the battery is slim and goes underneath the notebook, like a cover. It's not a huge ass battery that makes it look really stupid. Again, do you know what you're talking about to make such outrageous claims? First, you said the battery life is mediocre and you went by cnet's stats(which also said windows 7 is a vista service pack). Then, you claimed that the shape of the battery is like the ones on previous notebooks.

Well, I would exchange the MBP you got because it is clearly defective. I have watched 2.5 hours of movies with max brightness and still had 60% left of my battery ;)

And yeah, adding something that goes underneath the whole laptop will make it look stupid yeah. I seen the battery and seen the laptop, never claimed it had the shape of the ones on previous notebooks. Still say it makes it look stupid.

Also, what's funny about the envy is that here in Sweden it actually costs over 50% more then the 13" MBP does, so they charge even more then Apple does for something that isn't as good, great value :)

chrisrottan

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2009
Well, I would exchange the MBP you got because it is clearly defective. I have watched 2.5 hours of movies with max brightness and still had 60% left of my battery ;)

And yeah, adding something that goes underneath the whole laptop will make it look stupid yeah. I seen the battery and seen the laptop, never claimed it had the shape of the ones on previous notebooks. Still say it makes it look stupid.

Also, what's funny about the envy is that here in Sweden it actually costs over 50% more then the 13" MBP does, so they charge even more then Apple does for something that isn't as good, great value :)
Is it my fault they charge more in Sweden than here in the US?
Those prices i've given you are in the hp and apple websites.

chrisrottan

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2009
Well, 4 x 1.6 GHz is maybe a tiny bit faster than 2 x 2.8GHz, but not a lot.
And the Turbo Boost gives you 1 x 2.8 GHz which be my reckoning is less than 2 x 2.8 GHz :rolleyes:

Fact is there are trade-offs between speed, weight, and battery life; a 2.8 GHz Core Duo is plenty fast, and for 99% of the laptop using population weight and battery life are more important than a bit more speed.
Did you just agreed with the fact that Envy's lineup is fast, if not faster than apple, costs less, weight is similar and battery life is better?
:eek:

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Is it my fault they charge more in Sweden than here in the US?
Those prices i've given you are in the hp and apple websites.

The fact is still, basic setup with no ugly added batteries and such, the envy has horrible battery life. If we are gonna compare with ugly batteries and **** we could just add the hypermac battery to the MBP which gives like 14 hours total

EDIT:

The extended battery on the envy seems to add a few hours. Laptopmag got 10 hours and 45 min surftime:

compgraph.php

Source: http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/hp-envy-13.aspx?page=3

So envy with extended has less battery life then MBP with the smallest hypermac battery :)

chrisrottan

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2009
The fact is still, basic setup with no ugly added batteries and such, the envy has horrible battery life. If we are gonna compare with ugly batteries and **** we could just add the biggest hypermac battery to the MBP which gives like 30 hours total.
Then you'd be having to spend more money on battery along for a setup that would be 300 to 400 more than an ENVY and not easily portable.
Heck, your fanboi-sm is pretty much setting you blind. You cannot comprehend that there are better products who are built better and blend in with the design than apple computers.
I mean i know you will make a comparison of HP being a Kia and your Macbook pro being a mercedes benz but the silliness of your arguments are baseless at best.
Come back when you have real facts and know more about computers, then i might just spend a little bit of time reading your posts.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Well, I just have one thing to say just like others have said in this thread.

Mac OS X. I'm sorry, but honestly I hate Windows. And having an iPhone I'm tethered to iTunes. So it's either Mac OS X or Windows. I would choose OSX anyday, even with Windows 7.

Sure, the specs are better. But what is going to happen to those specs when it's loaded up with viruses, spyware, and all sorts of that fun stuff that Windows computers love to get. I'm sure it will get slow just as any other Windows computer would.

Thats just my 2 cents.

melman101

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Then you'd be having to spend more money on battery along for a setup that would be 300 to 400 more than an ENVY and not easily portable.
Heck, your fanboi-sm is pretty much setting you blind. You cannot comprehend that there are better products who are built better and blend in with the design than apple computers.
I mean i know you will make a comparison of HP being a Kia and your Macbook pro being a mercedes benz but the silliness of your arguments are baseless at best.
Come back when you have real facts and know more about computers, then i might just spend a little bit of time reading your posts.

As I said, the Envy here costs 50% more then the MBP. It seems you got no facts, come back when you grown some IQ ;)

For the record, I am not really an Apple fan boy. Just that I have not found a computer that will give me the same battery life with similar performance and size (and no, I don't count "extended batteries" in any form because they destroy the whole finish, I expect my computer to look good from every angle, even the underside).

As of yet the only competitor is Sony Vaio, they are a premium brand too. I am just waiting for them to pick up the battery race with their SZ series or similar.

chrisrottan

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2009
Well, I just have one thing to say just like others have said in this thread.

Mac OS X. I'm sorry, but honestly I hate Windows. And having an iPhone I'm tethered to iTunes. So it's either Mac OS X or Windows. I would choose OSX anyday, even with Windows 7.

Sure, the specs are better. But what is going to happen to those specs when it's loaded up with viruses, spyware, and all sorts of that fun stuff that Windows computers love to get. I'm sure it will get slow just as any other Windows computer would.

Thats just my 2 cents.

melman101
Because smart users who know how to use a computer will not get a virus. Heck I've been a PC user all my life and not a single virus. Spyware yes, viruses, no. Fact is, you have thousands and thousands of dedicated hackers working on viruses to steal information that many people will fall for it.
As many people have said before, If you know how to handle computers, you can get a windows or a mac, but if you don't know anything about computer and you've been living in a cave all your life to suddenly appear in times square by a time machine and you're forced to get a computer, go get a mac.
As Geico's famous commercials, even a caveman can do it.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Code:
Base     Turbo
         4 cores  3 cores  2 cores  1 core
2.00GHz  2.27GHz  2.27GHz  3.07GHz  3.20GHz
1.73GHz  2.00GHz  2.00GHz  2.80GHz  3.07GHz
1.60GHz  1.73GHz  1.73GHz  2.40GHz  2.80GHz

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Code:
Base     Turbo
         4 cores  3 cores  2 cores  1 core
2.00GHz  2.27GHz  2.27GHz  3.07GHz  3.20GHz
1.73GHz  2.00GHz  2.00GHz  2.80GHz  3.07GHz
1.60GHz  1.73GHz  1.73GHz  2.40GHz  2.80GHz
I really wish I had a Clarksfield laptop to play on right now. The Dell Studio 15 with the 720-QM sounds like a good model to pick.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Please go on about your clock speed comparison between Penryn and Clarksfield...

I'm not an idiot - I know that Penryn and Clarksfield chips are in different leagues. But still, 1.6 to 2.8 - at WORST, I'd call it even. Show me some benchmarks and prove me wrong, please.

EDIT: And before somebody throws in "4 cores / 8 cores," most apps don't/can't use that many cores at this time. And besides, if it IS using that many cores, then you're back to square one - 1.6GHz. Sorry, but I'd pick the MBP any day. Not that I'll be picking either, mind you, but that's my opinion. If you disagree, that's fine - if you want to prove me wrong, please. It has happened before.

kryptonianjorel

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2009
Well that is true, but you have to remember with the HP you can get a battery slice(thin battery that covers the whole bottom of the machine), which in the 13in model has been tested to get 10 hours. HP is claiming 7-8 hours with the battery slice on the Envy 15, so real world should be closer to 5-6 hours, which is still pretty good for a quad core machine with a dedicated gpu. Just saying.

I dunno I'd rather have the battery slice, vs the hypermac battery as the battery slice only makes the device a bit thicker, and a little heavier something I can deal with for longer battery life.

Did you just agreed with the fact that Envy's lineup is fast, if not faster than apple, costs less, weight is similar and battery life is better?
:eek:

So, get a 15 cell total battery and you get a stress-test 10 hours on the 13" (which is a C2D, btw)

15 cells on the 15" gets you 4.5 hrs on the stress test.

My 15" MBP actually gets 6.5 hrs without the horrid stress test.

Maybe HP shouldn't have been retarded and put in a 45W processor into a machine. If they were smart they'd wait for the 35W arrandale, which is processor/chipset/and integrated graphics

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.