Corn Syrup Commercials?!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheMonarch, Sep 5, 2008.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I was watching Food Network [Good Eats, awesome show :)] and apperently now there's commercials for corn syrup :mad:

As if that stuff isn't in everything already!:mad:

For those who aren't in the U.S., let me just say I envy you and your real sugary goodness in your foods! Its hard to even buy a loaf of bread without that stuff!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I've seen them as well. They're not so much advertising High Fructose Corn Syrup (it certainly isn't lacking prevalence in American households), as trying to change the public's perception of the sweetener.

As people become more health conscious, as well as look for a product to blame for America's obesity epidemic, HFCS has come under a great deal of scrutiny recently, and many feel that it's the problem. However, there's very little (if any) scientific evidence to support that theory.

Chemically, HFCS is very similar to sucrose (table sugar), as both are comprised of similar ratios of fructose and glucose, and are metabolized in the same way.

While I certainly support more research in this area, there's no reason to think that it's any more or less healthy than table sugar.

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Tastes different though. If you disagree, I suggest waiting for Passover and looking for a Coke in a Jewish neighborhood. Coke actually makes Coke for Passover that has real sugar and not HFCS for Kosher folks to drink during that time of year.

It's yummy.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Most coke I've seen is labeled "Corn Syrup and/or Sugar" haha.

And while corn syrup may taste different, it shouldn't be the scapegoat for the obesity problem, as it can clearly be traced down to poor eating habits and lack of activity.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

There must be a corn syrup marketing board, or some lobby group of some kind??

If people want to actually take an interest, and read labels, more power to them.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Perhaps, although that's a subjective observation. In other words, others may feel that HFCS tastes better than sucrose.

It's most likely dependent on what you're used to; people always want what they can't have.

These commercials are sponsored by the Corn Refiners Association.

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Yup, like I said - it tastes different and my opinion was that it's a yummy different. :)

Where are you from? Coke in the US is all corn syrup, with the exception I mentioned about. Almost everywhere else in the world it's sugar.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There is definitely a difference in taste ... here in Texas we have the same Dr. Pepper you can find anywhere, but we also have Dr. Pepper with Imperial Sugar - 10 times better, IMO.

9. tyranna macrumors regular

tyranna

the only reason i've ever used corn syrup is for baking or making candy. with the holidays coming up, i'm guessing the adverts are aimed at holiday bakers.

:)

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

These aren't commercials for corn syrup, but rather any products that contain High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Essentially they're trying a little damage control.

11. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i've seen them.
    it's only fun when it happens to someone else ;)

12. tyranna macrumors regular

tyranna

ah, i see. i haven't actually seen the adverts even though i watch the food network pretty regularly. i generally tend to ignore adverts but i'll definitely be looking for them later on this evening.

is this one of them?

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

In a thread about acne, someone actually posted blaming HFCS as a cause:

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Indeed. :)

Why am I not surprised? Then again, was there anything that wasn't listed in that thread? :p

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup, one of the shops near my girlfriends imported a whole load of US Cokes (god knows why) with that corn syrup in and it was revolting.
    Loves me real sugar.

16. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

I suggest you rent the documentary "King Corn". :)

17. 7on macrumors 601

7on

And my gf has always poked fun of me having a bottle of Corn Syrup in my cupboard:cool:

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Let her poke.

Corn syrup was our substitute for maple syrup, when we had little money.

19. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

I won't claim to be an expert of this, and won't deny that a HFCS rich root-beer isn't my favorite soft drink, but a quick Google search told me (on myriad sites) that fructose is in fact metabolized completely differently.

Also, about HFCS being close to sugar, just remember that milk from rBGH treated cows is genetically identical as non-rBGH milk, yet rBGH is banned in Europe & Canada.

P.S. I am not being holier than thou on this topic.

20. Baron58 macrumors 6502

You are completely wrong, sorry.

Sucrose (table sugar), is a 'disaccharide'. It is a complex sugar composed of two simple sugars, Glucose and Fructose, in a 1:1 ratio where 1 Glucose molecule has an alpha-beta linkage to a Fructose molecule.

Human bodies run on Glucose. It is converted to energy in the Krebs cycle of individual cells. Ingesting higher amounts of Glucose causes "blood sugar" (Glucose) levels to spike, because that is where it gets transported and processed. Insulin is involved in moderating this effect. Excess energy that is not immediately used is stored as fat for later use. This is important, keep reading.

Humans are able to break the alpha-linkage of Sucrose in our digestive tracts, and separate the two sugars (Glucose and Fructose).

The Glucose gets sent off through the bloodstream and processed by cells into energy. Excess energy is stored as fat around muscles (e.g. subcutaneous fat), and is what can give you flabby arms and a flabby ass.

The Fructose cannot be processed by the Krebs cycle, so it is filtered out of the blood by the liver where it is processed into fat directly. Note, it does NOT give you any energy directly, it goes straight to fat (which theoretically could be converted to energy later, but....) The fat that it builds up is "organ fat", around your internal organs. Particularly, you get a 'fatty liver'. Ever see somebody with muscular arms/legs, but a huge gut? Guys who look pregnant with a beer gut?

Organ fat leads to problems like high cholesterol (from a fatty liver), coronary artery disease, atherosclerosis, gallstones, and others.

So, Sucrose is 50% Glucose / 50% Fructose. On the other hand HFCS is 95% Fructose, 5% Glucose. (HIGH-fructose corn syrup). For the same amount of sweetener, you're getting almost a double-dose of Fructose.

Is there any situation where Fructose is the preferred sweetener? Yes, sort of: for diabetics who don't produce enough insulin to process Glucose. They can use Fructose to get the sweetness and make their liver do the work, poorly. The reason I say "sort of" is that now that we have artificial sweeteners like Splenda (which is sucralose, a non-digestible sugar), there's no reason for diabetics to consume fructose as a sweetener.

NONE OF THIS is in dispute. Your dismissive assertion that there is 'very little scientific evidence' is inappropriate. HFCS is directly responsible for a significant portion of the health issues that Americans have today.

I personally do not consume any food that contains HFCS or partially-hydrogenated oils. It can be done, you just have to pay attention. It was a pain finding cranberry sauce without HFCS.... last year Costco had big jars of Ocean Spray "Homestyle" cranberry sauce, so I stocked up on a bunch of it.

21. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

Well said. The reason these ads are out is because people are starting to realize that HFCS is one of the worst things you can put in your body.

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The article which you provided fails to make a logical argument. They are comparing fructose to sucrose and dextrose (i.e. glucose); however, sucrose is comprised of fructose and glucose. They're essentially comparing one of the components of table sugar to table sugar itself, as well as the other component. It makes no sense, and is irrelevant to this argument.

I understand your point, but it's completely irrelevant in a scientific discussion.

You're entire post centered around this assertion, but it's a disingenuous argument to make. The majority of HFCS found in food products is HFCS-55 (approx. 55% fructose and 45% glucose) and HFCS-42 (approx. 42% fructose and 58% glucose). ...One contains slightly more fructose than table sugar, and the other contains less fructose than table sugar.

HFCS-90, which you alluded to is used almost exclusively in the production of other high fructose corn syrups.

PS - It's called "HIGH" fructose corn syrup because it contains high amounts of fructose in comparison to typical corn syrup, which is nearly 100% glucose.

23. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Having corn heavily subsidized by the U.S. government isn't helping the obesity rate. If junk food wasn't so cheap, maybe eating healthier would be more common.

And anybody who's had one of these knows HFCS and sugar don't taste the same:

Attached Files:

24. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

i don't have anything to say about corn syrup but food network is awesome, good eats i'm not a fan of, i like iron chef and throwdown.

25. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think it has some stiff competition in that area.