Corner Edge Dent...PICS INSIDE

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fordhamram20, May 21, 2010.

1. fordhamram20 macrumors newbie

Ok, so about a week ago a girl comes over..."Oh you got the New Macbook Pro.." Yes I reply...2 mins later...I hear a BANG!!! I run in the room to find my beautiful silver baby hurting on the ground...I picked it up to find an eyesore of a dent...of course Apple didn't do anything b/c it is cosmetic...but it has caused the edge to scratch the inner part of my Macbook and I was wondering if I should pull out the pliers and perform surgery? Alot may think I am being petty but I have only had it 3 weeks...first Mac and kind of love it alot...PLZ leave suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Can I just ask(by the way bummer!), but can I ask, what she dropped it on to cause the dent/bend? Because I can't fathom how it all happend....

I dont recommend pliers just yet, wait for someone with some skills to pop in and reply

3. vant macrumors 65816

More importantly, what did you do to the girl?

4. fordhamram20 thread starter macrumors newbie

well it was sitting on my bed on top of the Incase sleeve and fell onto my tile floor in my apt. I did not do much but yell and she agreed to pay for any repairs "no matter the cost" however, I wasn't going to make her pay the outrageous $600 Apple wanted b/c they'd have to replace the entire top of my laptop.

5. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Hmmmm, if I wouldn't get booted form the MR forums, that "no matter what cost" line could be a fun line to joke around with, either way, she owes you one way or the others, make sure to remind her of that ;)

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

You could try contacting SmallDog.com they do things like LCD replacements (just the LCD) etc. so may be able to replace just the display's aluminum shell.

7. fordhamram20 thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought about actually Ebay'ing this one and getting about $1100...and I only pay $100 to get a brand new one w/my student discount...I really really really want it to be perfect :cool:

8. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

and what douche bag is going to pay $1100 for a Dented one?

9. okwhatev macrumors 6502

It blows my mind that people buy $1400+ laptops and don't get something like a Squaretrade warranty which includes accidental damage. Paying the small deductible is certainly better then paying whatever you might have to with AppleCare.

10. fordhamram20 thread starter macrumors newbie

$1100 is a savings over the real price! No tax and free shipping! It's a small dent and some people do not mind it! If I did not know it was there I would not even notice it. I hate negative people! What douche bag wastes his time commenting not to help!?! And I know nothing about a square trade or whatever you are talking about! That is why I am asking YOU PEOPLE what I should do!

11. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

12. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Ouch, my condolences. Although I'd suggest against doing anything on it. If you really must, put lint free cloth between the plier teeth to avoid any more scratches.

13. MorganK macrumors regular

Do you have renters insurance? (I'm assuming you rent since you said apartment) Mine has a accidental computer coverage included in it, wouldn't hurt to check with yours.

14. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

291,221,703rd reason I stay away from girls. I like my stuff and I like my stuff to stay how I like my stuff.

15. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

LOL :D

16. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

LOL
    LMAO
    LMAO
    LOL

This thread is supposed to be helpful but it's just pure HILARIOUS. But seriously back to the topic (sorry but from an outsider reading these posts I had a chuckle). I'm sorry to hear about what happened, Me along with yourself and probably the majority of macbook owners don't want this to happen, and when it does happen it sucks....a lot and it definitely isn't funny. So I feel your pain dude! But I would try doing the ebay route, sounds most reasonable and overall your best bet at getting a brand new mbp for little expense.

Good luck! Keep us posted on what happens so others can know what to do if it happens to them. :apple:

17. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

you sound like a true Casanova

18. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Dude ! You missed the best one ! :D

19. btrav13 macrumors 6502

If she is offering to pay the $600, then honestly, I'd let Apple do the repairs. You know it will be done right that way. Furthermore, damaged products on eBay REALLY lose some value, much more than you'd think. Plus you are going to have about a $90 eBay fee to pay. On top of that, I have the bad luck of always tending to have the first buyer renig on payment, so then you're going to have to file a report with eBay, wait 4 days to get refunded your sellers fees, then re-list it and do the entire process all over again. Overall, it will be on giant pain in the ass.

Honestly, I'm not being heartless here, but someone messed with YOUR stuff and then subsequently damaged YOUR stuff. If this were me, I would feel sorry that it had happened, but I would want my brand new MBP in as close to original condition as it could be, and Apple is going to do the best job at that, imho.

20. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

LMAO wow yeah i just scrolled up to see that one i missed. So true...SOOOOO TRUE.

21. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

if your not trying to sleep with her definitely go halves with her. and well if you are trying to sleep with her, tough luck dude hate to see what other damage she causes :eek:

i kid. kind of.

22. tlauer1 macrumors newbie

The same thing happened to my MBP. Mine looked almost exactly the same as yours does. I fixed it by removing the screen and gently hammering the corner back into place. Don't use pliers, like you mentioned! You are just going to damage it further. If you decide to do what I did, lay the screen on a towel with the aluminum side down and then lay another towel over top. Then gently hammer the corner back into place. Make sure that the towel is always between your screen and your hammer. You don't want to scratch the aluminum with the hammer. Go slowly! If you take the time to do it right then you will have it looking like the damage was never there.

23. Bulldog321 macrumors newbie

If she is willing to pay $600 and you can get a new for only $100 (never heard of such a great discount, but I guess anything's possible).

Then why not take $600 from her and give her the laptop in exchange. At least that way she at least has a nice laptop regardless of the dent.:)

24. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

So does that mean you are not interested in women or women are not interested in you?

Anyways...

Why don't you sell the current one for whatever you can get for it, then take that money and have your friend pay the difference for a new computer?

This should be less than $600.

Meaning if you sell it for $800, then it would only cost you another $400 (including taxes and student discount) to buy a new one.

If you do the free printer and free ipod touch during the back to school promotion, and sell them, you could make the difference even less than $400, maybe low $300s.