Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Corning should consider replacing their mascot with a mantis shrimp.

It would really intensify the durability points sent across,

i.e. onetwothreeBREAK whoops, onetwothreeBRE.. dammit

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
First time in a long time I dropped my 3Gs the other day from a counter to a tilled floor, good thing it was in it's case and is fine BUT when I went to use it I had to sign in for my SIM card, must have bumped it in the fall.

iPhone 3Gs going strong after 3 years service!

roow110

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2011
Both products are very good, they just have different advantages.

Sapphire is more resistent to scratching.

Gorilla glass is more resistant to shattering.

Now, how I see it, I would rather have a scratched screen than a shattered one. You can get sapphire crystal screen protectors if you dont want to get scratches on your gorilla glass; or any screen protector for that matter...

If you have a Sapphire screen, sure it won't scratch, but if it shatters you then have to replace the glass and the screen glued onto it. You can live with a scratched screen, but not a broken one. I'm all for gorilla glass in this case...

randfee2

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Germany
OMG those cheaters/imposters/fools!

Applying pressure is NOT A VIABLE TEST OF WEAR ENDURANCE!!!

This is ridiculous and surely done on purpose. Any engineer or scientist knows, that the hardest materials are more brittle! If you put a 1mm steel plate against their gorilla glass it'll surely withstand WAY more pressure than 200 pounds, yet it scratches rather easily.
The purpose of using sapphire is to keep the surface scratch free. There is no way their glass can be as good as sapphire. So especially for a camera cover glass sapphire is the best you can get (besides diamond coating).

I hate companies that think I'm stupid.... screw them!

Tsuius

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007
GTA
They didn't show the results of the scratching.

On a side note, I'm far more concerned about scratches than I am about accidentally placing 96% of my body weight directly on my phone against a small diameter metal surface.

That's exactly what I think. The other consideration is that the glass or sapphire is enclosed in an aluminum phone providing even more protection from breakage.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix

This is ridiculous and surely done on purpose. Any engineer or scientist knows, that the hardest materials are more brittle! If you put a 1mm steel plate against their gorilla glass it'll surely withstand WAY more pressure than 200 pounds, yet it scratches rather easily.
The purpose of using sapphire is to keep the surface scratch free. There is no way their glass can be as good as sapphire. So especially for a camera cover glass sapphire is the best you can get (besides diamond coating).

but its magic... :rolleyes:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
wow, corning really do take off in this day and age of touch screen device.
good for them to innovate.

but that is one smug gorilla.

Junipr

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
Gorilla Glass wins vs. Sapphire, IMO..

iPhone 4 owner for 3 years, last 1.5 years without a case. Have to admit, I have dropped it lots of times, each time with a heartbeat-skip of fear of shatter. Yes, there are several scratches, BUT fortunately (thanks to GG is suppose), not one crack, and I'd much rather have several small scratches than a crack, shatter, or worse...

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Gorilla Glass wins vs. Sapphire, IMO..

iPhone 4 owner for 3 years, last 1.5 years without a case. Have to admit, I have dropped it lots of times, each time with a heartbeat-skip of fear of shatter. Yes, there are several scratches, BUT fortunately (thanks to GG is suppose), not one crack, and I'd much rather have several small scratches than a crack, shatter, or worse...

I don't use a screen protector and my 5 screen is covered in micro scratches. I am extremely careful to never put it in the same pocket as keys/etc. Some of the scratches are deep, so they're not just in the oleophobic layer either. I know some people will say I'm doing it wrong, but I've had my 5 for about 8 months whereas I had my 4 for almost 2 years without a screen protector and never had a single scratch on it. I'm actually fairly disappointed in Gorilla Glass 2 (or whatever it has).

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
Why does it matter? We all just put our phones in Otterbox cases anyways. They could make my screen cover out of saran wrap and I wouldn't even notice :p

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005

I've never scratched the screen on my phone, I don't really need it to be more scratch resistant. I do have a chance that finally one day I'll drop it and it will shatter though.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Earlier this year, The New York Times reported that Apple was working on a curved glass smart watch, a product that could potentially take advantage of Corning's latest Gorilla Glass advancements.

Other phones already use curved glass, like the Galaxy S3. Apple, however, is likely to catch up someday with the iPhone.

Last edited:

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
So if Gorilla Glass is harder to shatter, and Sapphire is harder to scratch, why have they not made hybrid of the two? Something like Gorilla Glass with a thin Sapphire coating to stop the scratches?

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
corning_gorilla_glass_3.jpg

Dat glass!

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
If the actual phone would have some small edges that would prevent the glass from touching a flat surface when dropped, that would probably add a lot more durability than any glass could. That's why the iPhone 4/4s bumper is quite a good case, it doesn't cover much of the phone but it makes sure the glass doesn't make contact with anything if you drop it.

rainmanbk

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2006
Hmmm... Sapphire - about a 9 on the Mohs scale; Gorilla Glass 3 - about a 6.

Glad to see that Corning know how to bias a test to make their produce seem much better than it is, Gorilla Glass is much more flexible, of course it is going to do better in a normal force pressure test.
Breaking a phone by smashing its screen like they do in the test never ever ever happens. You never get an isolated layer like that which is allowed to deflect to failure. You get an impact on an edge which causes a fast fracture. Its down to phone companies to design smarter to protect the vulnerable edges which are a problem associated with all glasses and pick a material which keeps the surface nice and mirror-clean.

I agree with these portions of what you said completely. Asked a little more plainly, doesn't hitting glass on an edge versus bending it, test two completely different strengths?

I'm not sure about designing different products, it's clear Apple thinks a large glass window into your iPhone is the proper way to make a phone. But I'm sure there is other research that could be done to improve this issue of glass shattering.

peb123

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
I'd be pretty sassy if I carried 3 tablets and a bitchin' smartphone around. He's got cash to spare.

Gorilla's don't need cash. He could take any tablet and smartphone he wants and nobody would argue with him. :)

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
what's the point of a pressure test? they should have showed a drop test, to see how each would hold up from a 5' fall to concrete.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Hmmm... Sapphire - about a 9 on the Mohs scale; Gorilla Glass 3 - about a 6.

Glad to see that Corning know how to bias a test to make their produce seem much better than it is, Gorilla Glass is much more flexible, of course it is going to do better in a normal force pressure test. On the other hand, unlike sapphire its less hard than sand, and so scratches like a *****. Who do they think they are fooling? No industry expert is going to watch that and think "that Gorilla Glass 3 really is going to solve our durability problem". Breaking a phone by smashing its screen like they do in the test never ever ever happens. You never get an isolated layer like that which is allowed to deflect to failure. You get an impact on an edge which causes a fast fracture. Its down to phone companies to design smarter to protect the vulnerable edges which are a problem associated with all glasses and pick a material which keeps the surface nice and mirror-clean.

This.

Shock absorption is something that really needs to be worked on more, and Apple has been going backwards with its designs.

For example, my iPad 1 was (and is) a hulk. It's still totally spotless despite average wear & tear for so many years. Meanwhile my iPad 3 took a little slide on the first day (a small tumble that my iPad 1 could easily withstand) and totally shattered.

It's obvious when you look at both devices side-on: the iPad 1's glass is set in to the case - the aluminium corners surround the glass and don't let it take the impact. The iPad 3's glass protrudes from the case, meaning it takes all impacts (which glass doesn't do very well).

Here's an image to illustrate (I think the comparison is with an iPad 2, but it seems to use the same design with the same durability flaw):

5766942471_f9d8f6a837.jpg

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
you can layer the iphone with diamond glass for all i care, and most of us will still cover it with crappy plastic screen protectors LOL

----------

This.

Shock absorption is something that really needs to be worked on more, and Apple has been going backwards with its designs.

For example, my iPad 1 was (and is) a hulk. It's still totally spotless despite average wear & tear for so many years. Meanwhile my iPad 3 took a little slide on the first day (a small tumble that my iPad 1 could easily withstand) and totally shattered.

It's obvious when you look at both devices side-on: the iPad 1's glass is set in to the case - the aluminium corners surround the glass and don't let it take the impact. The iPad 3's glass protrudes from the case, meaning it takes all impacts (which glass doesn't do very well).

Here's an image to illustrate (I think the comparison is with an iPad 2, but it seems to use the same design with the same durability flaw):

hence why apple is makign the ipad more like the ipad mini design

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Other phones already use curved glass, like the Galaxy S3. Apple, however, is likely to catch up someday with the iPhone.

What glass is curved on the SIII? Are you talking about the slightly curved plastic laminate that is on top of the the SIII LCD screen? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.