Coronavirus Outbreak May Halve China's Smartphone Sales in First Quarter

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Smartphone sales in China could be reduced by as much as 50 percent in the first quarter of 2020 because of the impact the coronavirus outbreak is having on the retail and manufacturing sectors, according to new research.

Speaking to Reuters, research firm Canalys said that the closure of production facilities and retail stores by Apple and other tech companies will not only hit smartphone sales, but also impact product launches scheduled to take place in the first quarter of this year.
"Vendors' planned product launches will be canceled or delayed, given that large public events are not allowed in China," said Canalys researchers. "It will take time for vendors to change their product launch roadmaps in China, which is likely to dampen 5G shipments."
Apple isn't expected to unveil a 5G phone until September, when the "iPhone 12" series is expected to be announced, but other vendors like Huawei reportedly hoped to see a boost in sales on the back of China's 5G network rollout.

Apple in early February closed all of its corporate offices, stores, and contact centers in China due to the coronavirus outbreak that originated in Wuhan. The stores aren't expected to reopen as planned on February 10 because of ongoing concerns.

Meanwhile, Foxconn's Zhengzhou site, which is the most critical production site for the iPhone 11 and the upcoming low-cost iPhone, is seeing significant delays. The plant originally planned to resume work on February 2, but that has been postponed by at least one week.

There have already been multiple reports suggesting these closures will have an impact on Apple device production, and we could see dwindling device supplies and lengthening shipping times in the near future.

According to one report, Apple's ability to meet supply/demand balance of AirPods and AirPods Pro is in jeopardy due to the outbreak. The delays may also affect the upcoming low-cost iPhone that Apple is expected to launch as early as this March.

In his most recent report, respected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo declined to provide new shipment forecasts in light of the coronavirus outbreak because "there are still many uncertainties" but last week he lowered his iPhone shipment forecast by 10 percent to 36 to 40 million units during Q1 2020 due to the coronavirus.

Article Link: Coronavirus Outbreak May Halve China's Smartphone Sales in First Quarter

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
Instead of screaming how I can't buy a new iPhone, I'll be glad that there are no infections happening in the UK so far (there are four infected people, and over 100 people coming from China under quarantine, but there are no known infections in the UK so far, and that would be the thing that would worry me).

Reactions: Kyle4 and aviddk

victorm1

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2019
Montreal
Business research firm does research on how an epidemic might affect business. Shocking.
I’m not referring to the original research, I’m referring to this very article. Just because some analyst somewhere did some BI study, doesn’t mean it needs to be trumpeted by the press. I should know, I work in the consulting industry.

nicho

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2008
I’m not referring to the original research, I’m referring to this very article. Just because some analyst somewhere did some BI study, doesn’t mean it needs to be trumpeted by the press. I should know, I work in the consulting industry.
Apple-focused news and rumors website reports on matters relating to said company. Shocking.
- - Post merged: - -

Instead of screaming how I can't buy a new iPhone, I'll be glad that there are no infections happening in the UK so far (there are four infected people, and over 100 people coming from China under quarantine, but there are no known infections in the UK so far, and that would be the thing that would worry me).
You jinxed it.

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
7.8 Billions of people on earth - the virus can spread out at rapid speed without knowledge - that's a really scary thought, it's time for international politician stick together and how to prevent such measure in the future.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Billions of people on earth - the virus can spread out at rapid speed without knowledge - that's a really scary thought, it's time for international politician stick together and how to prevent such measure in the future.
As a start, let’s all agree that it’s really, no yuuugely stupid to put a P4 bio-lab in the middle of a city with 11 million residents.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK

It’s 8 cases now

Coronavirus: UK cases double as four more people diagnosed https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51442314

Looks like the government are taking it very seriously

Coronavirus threat level raised after person under quarantine 'threatens to abscond'

nicho

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2008
Yep, people are dying from this virus and all we care about is how it will affect sales. I suppose the Chinese worker is expendable as long as production continues at its regular pace.
It's some peoples' job to care about phone sales. Should they just not turn up for work?

Reactions: ChinaRye and Lazy

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
I actually think it's funny that anyone takes these pandemic scares seriously. it's that time of the year folks! Time for the CDC to come up with a new disease that's gonna kill us all! It's every February too. Let's look at the list shall we, and none of it's complete or in order but here we go:

1. The SARS epidemic
2. Killer Bees going to come to the USA
3. Hanta Virus
4. Bird Flu
5. Pig Flu
6. Zika Virus
7. Ebola Virus
8. Mad Cow Disease
9. Should I even add Y2K???

Meanwhile I enjoy sitting back, munching some popcorn and watching the lemmings...

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
I actually think it's funny that anyone takes these pandemic scares seriously. it's that time of the year folks! Time for the CDC to come up with a new disease that's gonna kill us all! It's every February too. Let's look at the list shall we, and none of it's complete or in order but here we go:

1. The SARS epidemic
2. Killer Bees going to come to the USA
3. Hanta Virus
4. Bird Flu
5. Pig Flu
6. Zika Virus
7. Ebola Virus
8. Mad Cow Disease
9. Should I even add Y2K???

Meanwhile I enjoy sitting back, munching some popcorn and watching the lemmings...
If it’s not a big deal... why don’t you go there and report back the “truth”.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
Can you even look at history even a few years ago about all the "OMG we're all gonna die" diseases that ended up doing absolutely nothing? We're still here. It's the same thing every Jan/Feb. CDC comes up with a new scary name virus and claims it's a Global Pandemic and for a few months that's all the Media focuses on, and we see random folks wearing face masks.

Then by spring it's all over. We forget about it like we forgot about the others. The actual flu (not swine/bird but influenza) kills far more people yearly but no one makes such a scare about that!

Can none of you see the pattern? the Wolf has cried so many times I've stopped paying attention. I just enjoy the show.

azentropy

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Can you even look at history even a few years ago about all the "OMG we're all gonna die" diseases that ended up doing absolutely nothing? We're still here. It's the same thing every Jan/Feb. CDC comes up with a new scary name virus and claims it's a Global Pandemic and for a few months that's all the Media focuses on, and we see random folks wearing face masks.

Then by spring it's all over. We forget about it like we forgot about the others. The actual flu (not swine/bird but influenza) kills far more people yearly but no one makes such a scare about that!

Can none of you see the pattern? the Wolf has cried so many times I've stopped paying attention. I just enjoy the show.
Except if they are wrong about the seriousness then it is an oops their bad. If you are wrong about the seriousness of it then tens or hundreds of millions could die (like the Spanish Flu pandemic).

Reactions: ChinaRye

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley

A varying amount of “scare” is made about the flu every year.

And just because most potential pandemics don’t turn out to be too serious doesn’t mean that they should be ignored until they prove to be serious. Preventive measures need to be put in place before it’s known exactly how serious any particular illness is.