Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

171855-costco_logo.jpg

iLounge reports that it has received word that warehouse club chain Costco will cease to carry Apple's iPods after the retailer lost out on the recent round of expansion of iPad availability that has seen rival Sam's Club and others begin carrying the tablet device.
Membership club Costco, the third-largest retailer in the U.S., is preparing to cease carrying iPods, according to an iLounge source who asked not to be identified. Based on the report, which notes that iPods have already disappeared from the company's web site, Costco will stop carrying the iPod after being unable to stock the iPad, which has just been offered to or become available at competing retailers including Target, Walmart, and, soon, Sam’s Club.
A check of several Costco locations by iLounge revealed stock of the current iPod touch, but the report's source indicates that locations are simply selling through their remaining stock before discontinuing the line. Costco has not offered an official statement on the matter, and it is unknown whether Apple is considering Costco for iPad distribution or if Costco would consider restoring iPod sales in the future with or without the iPad.

Article Link: Costco Dropping iPod After Being Left Out of iPad Surge?

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
I don't understand why the membership stores carry price-fixed items in the first place.

It is pretty much pointless.

tom53092

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Not surprised

Considering the profit margins on Apple gear, I'm surprised that any store sells it, especially stores with liberal return policies. Costco won't be hurting from this decision.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
This makes no business sense whatsoever. Ridiculous. Never heard of them before (being British) but they deserve to go bust. Cry babies!

LanPhantom

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
Hooper, UT
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Well there goes my membership. That sucks too cause I kind of liked Costco.

Oh well.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Usually their electronics items are those they can get at good prices. No reason for them to sell iPods. I remember when the Intel iMacs came out they had stacks of G5 iMacs bundled with AppleCare at fantastic prices. I suspect that Apple was stuck with way too much inventory.

jap1198

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

Jealous much?

Costco needs to stop acting like a child.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Oh well.

So because of this you aren't going to COSTCO anymore??? Thats absurd!

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006

Oh well.

Are you saying you are going to cancel your membership because they aren't carrying the ipod anymore? Now, my friend, you are a true fanboy. I think there should be some award given here.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I don't understand why the membership stores carry price-fixed items in the first place.

It is pretty much pointless.

The extra year warranty that is free when you buy electronics @ Costco and their great return policy :p

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Too bad. Costco is much more ethical than Walmart (owner of Sam's). They pay decent wages and give their employees health benefits. I'll never step foot in a Walmart, but I shop Costco time to time.

omgitskevin

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
I work at a Costco and I was told that yesterday we wouldn't carry any apple products anymore. It was only because Walmart is going to carry laptops/iPads and apple won't sell us either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.