Could a Verizon iPhone work on Sprints network?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iansilv, Oct 23, 2010.

1. iansilv macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Would the chipset be compatible?

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Let me check my Verizon iPhone, which I received as a gift from Steve bJobs.

*checks*

Nope.

3. iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve B Jobs? I'm going to tell him you called him that.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

This is all hypothetically btw.
    The chipset/cdma tech would be the same but it would have to be supported by the carrier. Sprint would have to let you use it on their network and not sure if Apple would need to also approve the use and have some sort of agreement with sprint in order.

5. jmcclain145 macrumors regular

jmcclain145

Aren't Sprint and Verizon ESN's different in length also? Verizons was I believe 12-15 and sprints was like 9 or something like that?

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Basically Sprint would have to agree to add it to their database. That's it.

And I'm guessing they want iPhone customers...so they might break down and do it.

7. iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Well, it would be pretty funny if the phone comes out on Verizon but people just take ut over to Sprint...

8. icyfire macrumors 6502

A CDMA iPhone made for Verizon can work on Sprint, but there is no guarantee that it will. CDMA as implemented in the US is very non-standardized (a.k.a. broken) as it requires 1) the carrier to accept the phone's serial number into their database and 2) the phone must be reprogrammed to work on the carrier. Sprint has a history of not allowing Verizon phones (or any non-Sprint phone) onto their network but of course, they could make exceptions for the iPhone. As for the phone needing to be reprogrammed for Sprint, that is entirely based on how the phone's CDMA program interface is set up by Apple and whether those reprogramming options will be available to the user.

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I think that would probably be asking too much from so many unknowns...:rolleyes:

10. thetexan macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't be surprised if we're shocked with the news that the CDMA iPhone will be on Sprint. Their coverage is on par with AT&T* and they've pumped a lot of money into their network over the years. Besides their plans allow free roaming on Verizon anyway, so you can always rely on their network as a backup for free. They'd be more open to allowing Apple as much control over their product than Verizon is, I'd imagine. They've sucked in the past but their new CEO has done wonders for the company and today's Sprint is not the Sprint of several years ago. Sadly it's hard to shake off a negative reputation, as AT&T is learning.

* = YMMV on coverage. Just because Sprint does not work in your home does not mean the entire company is crap and their coverage is crap across the nation.

11. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

From what I understand, if you own a phone that can work on the Sprint network (CDMA and unlocked) then they have to allow it. It's your phone and it's compatible. They may give you a hard time about it but you just have to push to get them to add it to a comparable plan, which I'm guessing would require an Everything data plan at least and possibly the $10 data premium upgrade (even though it's not 4G).

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Depends if it supports the same frequencies... however, seeing as there is no Verizon iPhone and there won't be one for the next years, your question is pointless.

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

They don't HAVE to do anything.

A Verizon iPhone would support both 850 & 1900 MHz. Sprint uses 1900 so the answer there is yes.

Pwahahahahaha....you're gonna be eating a lot of crow if a Verizon iPhone is released in the next year.

14. iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

Your reply is pointless if my question is pointless.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Don't mind him, he's just bitter because it's looking more and more like his beloved AT&T will actually lose exclusivity. I forgot why he cares so much...he may be the one that was a T stockholder.

16. iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

:). I seriously can't thinkbof a single detriment to consumers of the iPhone going multicarrier in the us. Not one. Here's to hoping it happens...

17. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I really can't either. And it will (hopefully) end once and for all the incessant threads about when the iPhone is coming to Verizon! That alone is enough to make me salute it if it happens! :D

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I was mistaken, he's not a stockholder. And he seems to think that everyone that wants a Verizon iPhone is a whiner with no real reason. He fails to realize that he doesn't know everyone's situation. He seems to think he knows how better to make our wireless carrier and device decisions better than we do without knowing anything about us.

He also fails to recognize that it's not just 2 markets, it's the entire 3G coverage that's weak. Tried to use my iPhone to show somebody a YouTube video while at the lake. FAIL....Edge service. But my friend had a Verizon phone and made my iPhone look plain silly. Good enough reason to cancel my contract and get rid of the iPhone? No, but enough of a reason for me to strongly consider a Verizon iPhone if the alternative becomes available.

So yeah, I'm not whining, but I have legitimate beef with AT&T and would love to have another carrier option for the iPhone. Like it's already been said, it could only benefit the customers so why keep hating?

I agree that the number of threads created by members here is ridiculous. But there's no reason to get a bad attitude about it. I like how HowardForums has done it, ALL Verizon iPhone chatter is in one thread. No exceptions.

19. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

I, for one, look forward to tasting the sweet tears of whining AT&T fanbois everywhere.

</sarcasm>

20. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Hmmm lets see.

Apple have a hard enough time keeping up with demand for their worldwide GSM based iPhone what makes you think they have the capacity to make a phone just for one network?

And before you say it, I'm not on at&t, or in America for that matter.

Oh and loose aye? Good one.

21. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'm sure if I comb through your posts I'll find a typo or two. I posted that in the middle of the night while half awake.

But yeah, you are so much better than me. I think I'll go cry in a corner. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, Apple is no longer having issues keeping up with demands. Go check your data. So yes, they have the capacity; especially if they have different launch cycles as I've previously predicted.

Edit: One more thing....

22. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

OK mate...you da boss.;)

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Let's see, you told me the EXACT same thing last January for the iPad and for the iPhone 4. So far, AT&T still remains exclusive on both. Verizon using the Mi-Fi changes nothing because that was something Sprint thought if first.

How were those crow plates so far?

24. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

First of all, there isn't going to be a Verizon iPhone...

Now, if there isn't going to be a Verizon iPhone, why would you think about Sprint?

Gawd

25. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Perhaps these discussions can be had when, oh...I dunno, when the mythical Verizon iPhone actually comes out?