Could You Imagine Going Back To iOS 6?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by osx11, Jan 29, 2014.

1. osx11 macrumors 6502a

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

I could, but only for performance. I'd still say iOS 6 is smoother than 7.1.

3. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

No I like iOS 7 a lot. There are some glitches, but my experience with it is still better than 6, and I expect them to be fixed eventually.

4. GreyOS, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Nope, feel sorry for people I see still running that dated iOS style.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

It seems like plenty of people can, and some have actually gotten back to it.

There's nothing bad about it, people are just used to its looks and many just like/want newer things even just for the sake of them being newer, but that's more or less it.

6. white4s macrumors 65816

i can't even go back to a factory ios7 after jailbreaking 2 weeks ago

7. Bear macrumors G3

For the reason of a couple of bugs in the music player in iOS7 and the 3 by 3 folders on iPads. Also, it feels like lots of things take an extra swipe or tap to get it done.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Nope, I wouldn't want to go back to 6. Going back to 5, on the other hand...

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I imagine it every single day because I can't downgrade my phone. Even more when I pick up the kid's iPods or the old iPad.

This isn't directed at anyone in this thread but I don't understand trading usability and stability for a new look. iOS 7 isn't stable nor intuitive.

You know what else looked dated? My mom's washing machine that she had for over 20 years. You know what also looked new and cool? The washing machine I bought that burned out three circuit boards and had a recall because of a poor design that caused unpreventable mildew. After two years I sold it for pennies on the dollar.

10. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

What about your opinion, C DM, seeing as OP asked you?

----------

I like having pretty things in my life, it makes me feel happier. Same reason people buy nice clothes and jewellery. No reason to be snobby about it. Of course function has its place, but there's no universal moral here about compromising one for the other. There's not always a clear cut distinction between the two. I have lots of gripes with iOS in general, but really haven't found the upgrade reduce usability or stability. In fact I use my phone a lot more these days, in part because cos it's prettier!

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

I can imagine myself going back to it, mostly for the performance as someone else pointed out earlier, but I'm OK with iOS 7--I'm not a fan of some of its designs and especially usability and performance choices or at least things that were overlooked in one way or another, but I'm OK with it in the overall sense of various other features that it brough with it.

12. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

I feel sorry for people running that ugly, slow and buggy ios 7 lol

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Absolutely I could. I would take the 1/3 extra battery life, faster Safari, better calendar and nicer colours in a heartbeat.

14. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

Never, I would throw up if I had to get iOS 6. I think I might throw up just thinking about that... :D

15. cynics macrumors G3

There are something's I liked about 6 but I prefer 7.

16. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I don't have an iPhone, but I can't stand using my girlfriends' iPhone anymore. iOS 7 is a slow buggy mess on it, even after a wipe and then a new phone.

17. MaskedCarrot macrumors regular

I would in a heartbeat if there was a way to put iOS 6 on my 5S.

My wife still has iOS6 on her iPhone 5, and I refuse to update it cause I know she would hate it. Plus she doesn't even use apps anyway, just mainly for email, text and safari.

The designers of iOS 7 are definitely on the same LSD that Steve Jobs loved so much when he was young.

Imagine driving around in a nice Lexus, and someone replaces it one day with a Volkswagen Bus with all the colorful flowers painted on it.

iOS 7 is the new hippy.

18. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Using iOS 6 is like driving an '85 Plymouth Voyager:
    [​IMG]

Using iOS 7 is like driving a AMG VGT:
    [​IMG]

iOS 7 is beautiful

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That thing looks hideous.

20. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Man you guys sure failed grade 1 colouring class.

21. iAmirul macrumors regular

iAmirul

No. iOS 6 is just weird whenever i use it now. guess i fall under the minority who actually like iOS 7 flatness :cool::cool:

22. Rodster macrumors 68040

iOS 7 looks ok but it definitely has performance issues. I recently got a rMini and it lacks overall smoothness and the hardware in the rMini is no slouch. I do like several of it's new features.

23. Azy macrumors regular

I always thought people were being dramatic when they said they hate ios 6 now it's dates. However I now cringe and the sight if the old style keyboard when I open an old app. My other half refuses to upgrade to iOS 6 and I agree it feels horrible now

24. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

As an Android user, I would rather use iOS 6 than iOS 7.

Classic iOS is somewhat rudimentary and dated, but it is also very fast, stable, and had a really beautiful, unique, high-end UI that was both accessible and pro-grade, that was nothing like the typical late 2000s gradient seas. It certainly didn't need a reboot, it needed a Tiger-to-Leopard-style upgrade that could refresh the look and add lots of great new features to avoid iOS looking stale compared to the decidedly rougher and less refined Android.

But instead of doing that, Apple went the easy way and repanted the good-old simple iOS to look bright, flat, trendy and Android-like and also added some features that would look right in place in iOS 6.2. This is the last thing that iOS needed, but the most shocking aspect of the iOS 7 "update" is the quality of the redesign.

I can understand the urge to get trendy (even three years late), but Apple seems to have considered the flat UI trend as a chance to create a low-end PowerPoint-style effortless UI and dress it as "new". But why should customers who have paid 1.5-2x of the price of an Android equivalent enjoy yellow text on white? Crazy neon colours on white? Thin unreadable non-shaded fonts on their wallpapers? Transparency everywhere except where it is nice? Possibly the ugliest icons ever created by man? And all of that in place of complex and delightful UI work.

I want software updates to improve my devices, not to make me feel like a Michelin inspector who is forced to eat at McDonald's. iOS 7 doesn't cut it. Period.

25. Tar Sniffer macrumors 6502

iOS 6 is still great, and beats iOS 7 interms of functionality. I miss the Calendar, Notification Centre, battery life, performance and icons of iOS 6. So yes, I probably could go back since it worked so perfectly day-to-day.