Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Valve this week released Counter-Strike 2, the highly anticipated free upgrade for owners of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, but Mac owners were left in the lurch on launch day, with the upgrade breaking the game and seemingly no macOS version forthcoming.

counter-srike-21.jpg

The title's release on Wednesday forced a 26GB update for everyone with CS:GO, including Mac users, but after installation those on macOS soon discovered that the update essentially makes the game unplayable because Steam subsequently attempts to launch an executable file for Windows. Some users have had to employ a workaround to reverse the change and access CS:GO, but it's less than ideal.

Valve quietly removed the macOS symbol on Steam's Counter-Strike product page, while the only reference to this omission for Counter-Strike 2 appears in Valve's official FAQ. A question about Mac support is met with the response: "No. CS2 is not available for Mac at this time," but provides no additional information.

Regardless, Valve apparently failed to adequately warn Mac users, many of whom have racked up thousands of hours on CS:GO and spent hundreds of dollars on inventory purchases. One Mac gamer on Reddit wrote:
I have around 6,000 hours in CS:GO, about 500$ worth of inventory. Am I supposed to leave all that behind now? Just cherish them as memories of the past never to be experienced again? I really believed Valve would have released a macOS version CS2 too. They have publicly denounced Windows' gaming monopoly in the past. With MacOS Sonoma, powerful Apple silicon chips, and Apple making strides to make gaming possible on Mac (and Valve's commitment to making their games available to everyone) I guess we didn't see this coming. Or maybe we did, but we were stubborn. I guess with Valve's darling Steam Deck, macOS became redundant to them as a way to challenge windows gaming monopoly. I am sorry you guys had to hear this, but I feel so disappointed right now, in myself and in Valve. I'm sure most of you CS:GO players were as excited and hopeful as I was for the game's launch.
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is one of the most popular and long-running games on macOS, with a large community following, so the lack of support and transparancy from Valve for Mac users upgrading to Counter-Strike 2 is all the more bewildering.

counter-strike-2.jpg

Based on recent updates to the CS2 macOS depot, some users believe a Mac version is in development, but it would likely relate to Rosetta 2 rather than a version that natively supports Apple silicon. With no word on the subject from Valve, this remains purely speculation.

The long-rumored game, officially announced in March, updates many much-loved maps, and uses Valve's in-house Source 2 engine, featuring sharper textures, more realistic lighting, and new geometry. We've reached out to Valve for comment on this story and will update readers if we hear back.

(Thanks, Scott!)

Article Link: Counter-Strike 2 Lacks Mac Support, Update Breaks CS:GO for macOS

Last edited:

Jeeg

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2010
The game is also a mess on Windows. I run 7950X3D and RTX4090 but I barely get 300fps, this game looks significantly worse than Overwatch 2 and I get 600fps on that. Not to mention when I look at the performance metrics CS2 only uses 10% of my CPU and 30% of my GPU. It is just unoptimized trash.

OwlBundy

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2019
You don’t buy windows for Apple / App Store support and catalog you don’t buy Mac for gaming. If you do you’re foolish everyone knows this it’s not new. CS isn’t an intensive game (Steam Deck can run it well) so you can get a playable experience on a cheap windows machine.

Nugat Trailers

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2021
You don’t buy windows for Apple / App Store support and catalog you don’t buy Mac for gaming. If you do you’re foolish everyone knows this it’s not new. CS isn’t an intensive game (Steam Deck can run it well) so you can get a playable experience on a cheap windows machine.
I'll doublepost.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/16tws1m

And please note, there's a difference between buying a Mac for gaming, and playing games on a Mac.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Serious gaming on Apple is dead. ☠️

Maybe for the expensive AAA games. I play mostly Paradox strategy games and Indie titles and rarely find games (*ahem* Valheim), that don’t offer Mac support. It can be argued, a game like Hearts of Iron IV that takes roughly 60 hours just to get a grip on the mechanics is a far more “serious” game than a pick-up-and-play loot box shooter.

Let’s be fair, there’s plenty of great games on Mac, just not the most-marketed ones. But I’ll absolutely admit that is a big problem, especially since the days of Apple building machines with mediocre 3D cards is over with Apple Silicon.

I fear what would happen if Valve dropped Mac support for Steam. The App Store simply will never have that draw amongst game developers.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I'm sorry but why would anyone expect any game to work on Macs? Macs have never supported gaming in any real way and never will. If you want to game, you need Windows, there is no way around that, there never was. Apple not only does not help developers in this, they also make extra efforts to impede game development for some reason. They don't want games on their platform.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
This is kind of a **** response. If you've played this for YEARS on Mac, and have it play well (it's not a taxing game), then suddenly it's like "oopsie, you can't play anymore...should have bought a Windows machine 5 years ago instead...it's your fault".

If you start playing a game and it's on your platform, then suddenly it's taken off your platform, how is that "foolish"?

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
This is kind of a **** response. If you've played this for YEARS on Mac, and have it play well (it's not a taxing game), then suddenly it's like "oopsie, you can't play anymore...should have bought a Windows machine 5 years ago instead...it's your fault".

If you start playing a game and it's on your platform, then suddenly it's taken off your platform, how is that "foolish"?
As I understand it’s a new game. Apple too likes cutting support for older devices/software if they release something new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.