Couple crash White House state dinner

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
epic fail security...this is pretty serious...
How is it pretty serious? Obama was never in any danger and I believe the taxpayers funded the dinner. That means we all should have been invited. The photos reminded me of Forrest Gump.

Comment

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
How is it pretty serious? Obama was never in any danger and I believe the taxpayers funded the dinner. That means we all should have been invited. The photos reminded me of Forrest Gump.
having people not on a pre approved list get in and be in the same room as world leaders is serious

the fact that security did not do their job is disturbing

this is very serious

Comment

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
having people not on a pre approved list get in and be in the same room as world leaders is serious

the fact that security did not do their job is disturbing

this is very serious
Yeah. Breaking in a party which has 320 elite people(and the prime minister of india :D), it is a pretty serious thing. This just shows the crap security. Even though Obama wasn't in danger still it is a security fail.

I wonder how they got in...very brave couple

Comment

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I wonder how they got in...very brave couple
They walked right in. It is a gray line. They never tried to bypass security, but they did technically trespass. But again, they were welcomed in by security. So....

Comment

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
They sound like old fashion con artists.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/200...xnews%2Fpolitics+%28FOXNews.com+-+Politics%29
She was a former NFL cheerleader. She once modeled for Victoria's Secret. She could be seen in top fashion and women's magazines. And this week, Michaele Salahi made her way with her husband to the most exclusive party in Washington, D.C. -- guests at the first state dinner of President Obama's term.

At least that's the story Salahi was telling.

But her resume as a Virginia socialite is increasingly looking like a fantasy, as news broke Friday that the Salahis' names were nowhere on the state dinner's guest list and as the Secret Service scrambled to explain how it allowed party crashers at such a prominent event.

This apparently isn't the first time the Salahis have tried to embellish their credentials.

Several press accounts, including a November 2008 Washington Post report, identify Michaele Salahi as a former cheerleader for the Washington Redskins. And photos posted to the 44-year-old's Facebook page show a beaming Salahi -- pompoms in hand -- at a September 2009 Redskins cheerleader "alumni get together."

But the team told FoxNews.com it's never heard of Salahi. Michael Pehanich, Redskins assistant director of communications, and Terri Lamb, president of the Redskins' cheerleader alumni association, said Friday that they have "no records to indicate she was a cheerleader for the team."

Salahi, whose maiden name is Holt, also claims on her Facebook page to have modeled for a number of top fashion and women's magazines, including Vogue, Elle Magazine and Victoria's Secret.

But a spokeswoman for Victoria's Secret told FoxNews.com on Friday that Salahi did not model for the company.

The couple's attorney, Paul Gardner, claims the Salahis were authorized to attend Tuesday's star-studded event honoring Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, but Gardner didn't elaborate.

The couple, who reportedly auditioned for the Bravo reality TV show "Real Housewives of D.C.," showed up at the dinner with a professional camera crew and makeup artist. The Salahis managed to pass through a Secret Service security checkpoint before snapping photos with dozens of high-profile attendees, including Vice President Joe Biden, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel and CBS News anchor Katie Couric. They left before dinner was served.

NBC News anchor Brian Williams, who was an invited guest at the dinner, told the "Today" show that he saw the couple's SUV being turned away from the White House's East Gate entrance. A camera crew accompanied them, Williams said, as well as a woman who touched up the Salahis' makeup and hair.

"I was honored to be invited to attend the First State Dinner hosted by President Obama & the First Lady to honor India," Michaele Salahi wrote on her Facebook page.

Comment

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Wow, they probably didn't realize it's a federal crime, because they have to have made a false statement to federal officials to get in through security.

I guess bad economy = more con artists.

This is nothing compared to how we show up security in Australia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdnAaQ0n5-8
ROTL. Thanks

Comment

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
This couple are real scum bags.

FoxNews.com said:
The couple who crashed President Barack Obama's first state dinner are peddling their story to broadcast networks for hundreds of thousands of dollars, a television executive says.

The executive, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the network does not publicly discuss bookings, told The Associated Press that representatives for Michaele and Tareq Salahi contacted networks to urge them to "get their bids in" for an interview. The executive said the Virginia couple was looking for a payment in the mid-six figures range.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/11/28/white-house-party-crashers-looking-sell-story/

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
My god people. How can he be the leader of the free world when he can't stop a couple of Balloon-Boy Wannabes from just waltzing into the White House?

Comment

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My god people. How can he be the leader of the free world when he can't stop a couple of Balloon-Boy Wannabes from just waltzing into the White House?
He is not a club bouncer.

The job description of the president of the united states probably doesn't involve in door security.

Comment

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
epic fail security...this is pretty serious...
The job of security is to keep dangerous people out. Did they let anyone dangerous in? No, they didn't.

These guys are trained to watch out for people who behave suspiciously. The assumption is that any dangerous person will behave in a way that stands out, and then you check the people who stand out and catch the dangerous one. This couple just wanted to be there, the only difference between them and the other guests was that they had no invitation. Now it is embarrassing that they didn't get stopped, but it is no security breach. If an invited guest had entered with a gun, that would have been a security breach. An uninvited guest without arms or any intent to harm someone, that is no security breach.

It happens that harmless people get through security when they shouldn't, exactly because they are harmless and their behaviour doesn't trigger any response from trained security people.

Comment

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
The job of security is to keep dangerous people out. Did they let anyone dangerous in? No, they didn't.

These guys are trained to watch out for people who behave suspiciously. The assumption is that any dangerous person will behave in a way that stands out, and then you check the people who stand out and catch the dangerous one. This couple just wanted to be there, the only difference between them and the other guests was that they had no invitation. Now it is embarrassing that they didn't get stopped, but it is no security breach. If an invited guest had entered with a gun, that would have been a security breach. An uninvited guest without arms or any intent to harm someone, that is no security breach.

It happens that harmless people get through security when they shouldn't, exactly because they are harmless and their behaviour doesn't trigger any response from trained security people.
Except looking harmless and sneaking by could be done by people with nefarious intentions too. The secret service aren't mind readers, and if those people came in intending to do harm they could have. Which is scary.

Comment

Husker

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
Secret Service ... EPIC FAIL!

Once again, the secret services in this country proved they are worth **** and a waste of taxpayers money...
Maybe my sarcasm meter is off, but I think the job of protecting the President of the United States against racist psychopaths with guns is very much worth my tax money...thanks for your valuable contribution though.

Comment

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
Except looking harmless and sneaking by could be done by people with nefarious intentions too. The secret service aren't mind readers, and if those people came in intending to do harm they could have. Which is scary.
Not mind readers, but trained to observe people, check how they are behaving, and draw conclusions from their behaviour. It is a lot easier to look harmless when you are harmless. You are saying "if those people came in intending to do harm they could have". That is completely unproven. And of course there may very well have been measures to stop people wearing guns, explosives, chemicals etc. And who says people with an invitation can't be dangerous?

Comment

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The plot thickens...

FoxNews.com said:
Less than a week after their appearance at the White House State Dinner, Michaele and Tareq Salahi have some more explaining to do.

Representatives from the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation say the couple also attended their recent awards dinner without an invitation, and multiple sources told MyFoxDC.com they snuck in to the event through an entrance meant for bus boys and caterers.
Ok, these people are just pathetic.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/11/30/state-dinner-crashers-snuck-black-caucus-dinner/

Comment

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I'm personally sick of hearing of these two lying clowns.

They're doing this for all the publicity, and the media is eating right out of their pot.

They trespassed, they should be charged as such.

Comment

flakes8

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
New England
I'm personally sick of hearing of these two lying clowns.

They're doing this for all the publicity, and the media is eating right out of their pot.

They trespassed, they should be charged as such.
They did it for a show on Bravo which NBC owns which is in bed with OBAMA and for our next act......

Comment