All iPads Coworker brags about abusing Apple's lenient return policy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HarryWarden, Mar 1, 2014.

1. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

I told him about buy an Air (Feb 27) and he says, "You should do what I do buy the iPad Air, exchange it on day 14 for a larger or smaller capacity model, use that and then exchange it for the iPad Mini Retina (On day 14, of course) saying that you've decided that you want a smaller size, and then return that on day 14 and have your girlfriend start all over. Before you know it, months have gone by and you've never actually had to pay for using an iPad."

2. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

4. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Sure, if you don't mind having to restore your iPad every 2 weeks and go through the hassle of returning it. I also don't understand how anyone could be so thick-skinned as to go through this process multiple times.

I am also curious as to whether anyone has actually gotten away with this. I am sure Apple will start to get suspicious after the first few exchanges and start to clamp down on the activity.

I am sure people like this do exist; thankfully, they are probably still in the vast minority. Shame that in a sense, we are paying high applecare prices because of these people. :mad:

5. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

This doesn't make sense. He still paid for the first iPad, since he was just exchanging it each time for a different model. Unless you just want to say you've used every model, I don't understand. It hasn't saved you any money.

6. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

Doesn't make sense to me why anyone would do this. That's abusing the return policy, and to be honest, it's stupid. You either want to use the iPad or you don't. Why keep returning if there's nothing seemingly wrong with it? I can't stand people who do this. At any store, really. I work for retail and these people buy expensive merchandise and return it the next day. Happens every day and I don't get why. Guess that's just me, though.

7. MacScott macrumors regular

MacScott

Wow... I like to settle in and relax with my new hardware purchases. I would feel in a constant state of chaos.

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

HUH!?:confused:

Didn't your "co-worker" pay for the first Air he bought, or has Apple decided not to bill for the purchase of their products.

All the rest is smoke and mirrors.

It seems that your "co-worker" is willing to expend a great deal of energy to be able to impress others (?) with his cleverness.

But I still don't see how he hasn't paid.

Either way... sadly pathetic behavior.

9. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Here's my guess at what he's getting at.

Your credit card cycle date is (for example) the 12th of the month.

You buy the iPad on the 13th and return it on the 27th, buying a new one. When you get your bill, you have a charge for the first one, a credit for the first one, and a charge for the first one. Your due date is something like 21 days after the cycle date. Before your due date you've already returned the second one and bought another one on your girlfriend's card.

Your girlfriend, of course, dumps you shortly thereafter, because she realizes should the relationship develop further, and then go sour later on, the chances of you fulfilling your financial obligations to any children you may have are slim and none.

I guess Apple is lucky he doesn't want to buy MacBooks or unlocked iPhones too. And they're REALLY lucky shipping delays make it impossible to do it with a Mac Pro.

10. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Sounds likes a lot of OCD people around here.

11. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

[​IMG]

12. HarryWarden thread starter macrumors 6502a

13. gatearray macrumors 65816

Sounds like your co-worker doesn't have any dignity.

14. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

so hes bragging he knows how to use the return system?

15. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Your coworker is "trolling".

If he has no life and therefore enough time to go to an Apple store and restore the iPad every two weeks than this fine with me.

Also the number of people actually doing this is so small that even Apple won't care much. At some point their sales system recognizes him and deny's any further return anyway. So in the larger picture no relevant harm is done to anyone.

But in the end I'm sure he's just talking with no action. He just want's to paint himself as the great guy who can stick it to the mega corporation. In reality he is probably completely unimportant (like most of us).

16. luckylisp macrumors 6502

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I guess that's possible, but it's not only dishonest, it's waaaay too much work to save the cost of an iPad. IMHO.

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

It's good he's planning on using other people to help out, as at least one Apple store has reportedly started denying returns from folks who do it a lot (regardless of the reason).

19. HarryWarden thread starter macrumors 6502a

That story sounds unpleasant. Unless you're like my coworker (who I do suspect is "trolling" as someone else put it), who buys enough Apple products that they would even get close to risk being flagged for frequent returns? I buy one phone and keep it until my contract renewal is up (2 years) and one iPad per year at the most (that's if I decide to upgrade to the new version immediately) and one computer that lasts me at least 3 years. That's three products at about one per year at the most.

20. nfl46 macrumors 603

Hopefully your coworker doesn't crack the screen or drop it.

21. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Oh yes, undoubtedly. I was just trying to explain how it would work. Not advocating it.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

Based on that members MacRumors posts, here's what we counted that they bought/returned.

23. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Why abuse the worst return policy? Why not reward zone where it's like 45 days iirc?

Full disclosure: I don't 'rent' iPads or do/condone this practice. Just saying though..

24. bossxii macrumors 68000

First off, you did pay for the first one you bought. You are exchanging them, not returning. Secondly there is a much better alternative if you have a Best Buy near you as they have a much longer return/exchange policy. 45 days for members. In the end you didn't get anything free... just swapped out a few iPads and you paid for them as you went. If you paid for a 16gig, and exchanged for a 128gig you paid the difference.

25. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I suspect that his intention is that one day down the road he will just return it for his money.

He's probably mixing in some returns and have his girl walk in and buy the new one a few minutes later or at the same time with someone else (perhaps at a different store even) to avoid any 'sorry it's been six months since you paid any money you have to take a gift card.

Eventually he could be noticed and stopped. He'll miss by a day and they will know what he's doing and hold him to the strict policy for getting cash back. Or he'll drop it. Or they will just refuse to return it because what he's doing looks like money laundering etc. All depends on local law and what safety nets they have within them. Especially if he gets cheeky and tries to sue for them refusing to do a return